PDA

View Full Version : Huangyang gt series Vector control vfd ? Whats the difference?

the great waldo
14-12-2018, 09:40 AM
Hello All

Can anyone explain the difference/benefits of the Huanyang Gt series vfd over their Hy series vfd ? Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Andrew

paulus.v
14-12-2018, 11:41 AM
Hi Andrew

In theory with the vector control you have good constant speed and better torque at low speeds. In practice the vector control needs advanced electronics with fast microprocessor, etc. and I don't now how successful/reliable have the Chinese at Huanyang implemented it.

the great waldo
14-12-2018, 04:36 PM
Hi Andrew

In theory with the vector control you have good constant speed and better torque at low speeds. In practice the vector control needs advanced electronics with fast microprocessor, etc. and I don't now how successful/reliable have the Chinese at Huanyang implemented it.

Hi Paulus

Thanks for reply. I might get one for my buffing machine which runs badly with a triac speed controller i'm using and the torque really drops off at lower speeds whe pushed hard.
Cheers

Andrew

paulus.v
14-12-2018, 05:59 PM
Is it for a three phase induction motor?

the great waldo
14-12-2018, 06:23 PM
Is it for a three phase induction motor?

No

Hi Paulus

No it's a standard single phase 220/240 motor. I don't think anyones really come up with a speed controller that keeps it's torque when loaded at lower speeds using a standard single phase motor (at least not at a reasonable price) mind you it's been a while since I looked. I'm just getting into cnc and came across vfd's along the way.

cheers
Andrew

Voicecoil
14-12-2018, 09:17 PM
Hi Paulus

Thanks for reply. I might get one for my buffing machine which runs badly with a triac speed controller i'm using and the torque really drops off at lower speeds whe pushed hard.
Cheers

Andrew

I'm not suprised at that really, since to lower the speed of an AC induction motor, you obviously need to drop the frequency of the supply, not just drop the voltage, which is essentially what a triac controller does. Do you know what type your single phase motor is? - capacitor start* or capacitor run? I believe running the former of a VFD can be a minefield presumably since the centrifugal switch that disconnects the starting capacitor won't necessarily work if the motor's running at a lower speed than normal. And with the motor run capacitor, the value will be chosen to give 90 degrees phase shift between the2 windings at the normal 50Hz mains frequency (you need this phase shift to create a rotating magnetic field which the armature "chases": changing this frequency will presumably change the phase shift generated by the capacitor and hence reduce motor torque. That said, some quick Googling revealed revealed a couple of manufacturers that make VFD's specifically for single-phase motors (Leeson in the USA being one), so there must be some goodness in the idea. If you find one that works I'd be interested to know so I can up the output of my side channel blower: designing one shouldn't be too difficult particularly if you were to remove the capacitor from the motor and feed 2 90 degree phse shifted signals direct from the VFD, but I have lots more pressing projects!

the great waldo
15-12-2018, 12:44 PM
I'm not suprised at that really, since to lower the speed of an AC induction motor, you obviously need to drop the frequency of the supply, not just drop the voltage, which is essentially what a triac controller does. Do you know what type your single phase motor is? - capacitor start* or capacitor run? I believe running the former of a VFD can be a minefield presumably since the centrifugal switch that disconnects the starting capacitor won't necessarily work if the motor's running at a lower speed than normal. And with the motor run capacitor, the value will be chosen to give 90 degrees phase shift between the2 windings at the normal 50Hz mains frequency (you need this phase shift to create a rotating magnetic field which the armature "chases": changing this frequency will presumably change the phase shift generated by the capacitor and hence reduce motor torque. That said, some quick Googling revealed revealed a couple of manufacturers that make VFD's specifically for single-phase motors (Leeson in the USA being one), so there must be some goodness in the idea. If you find one that works I'd be interested to know so I can up the output of my side channel blower: designing one shouldn't be too difficult particularly if you were to remove the capacitor from the motor and feed 2 90 degree phse shifted signals direct from the VFD, but I have lots more pressing projects!
Hi Voicecoil
I won't be using my single phase motor, i'd rather stump up and get a 3 phase motor with a matching vfd. I know a motor supplier in Vienna that has both.
cheers
Andrew

battwell
16-12-2018, 05:04 PM
the newer gt series are much better than the old models.
and can run standard modbus if required.
i have them running spindles on cncs and big ones running hydrovane compressors etc.
vector control makes a big difference

the great waldo
16-12-2018, 10:49 PM
Hi Batwell.
Thanks for the info. Looks like I might be investing in a gt.
Cheers.
Andrew