PDA

View Full Version : Skyfire cnc's

andy_con
27-03-2019, 11:47 PM
So what do we know about these machines, they look very good on paper.

Am just waiting for a quote

http://www.skyfirecnc.com/picshow.asp?id=36

m_c
28-03-2019, 12:07 AM
Speak to Komatias on here (aka Emvio Engineering - emvioeng.com), as he was officially importing them, although there are currently no machines listed on his website, and he is now importing Syil machines.

There was a huge thread about Skyfire on CNCzone, and the early buyers had to wait for a very long time before eventually getting there machines, but I've not seen much about them lately.

magicniner
28-03-2019, 12:40 AM
Join, read and follow the FaceBook Skyfire Owners Groups before making a decision.
Factory support and even communication seems to be less than it should be.

andy_con
28-03-2019, 08:29 AM
Join, read and follow the FaceBook Skyfire Owners Groups before making a decision.
Factory support and even communication seems to be less than it should be.

Such a group does not appear when I search fb

magicniner
28-03-2019, 10:52 AM
Possibly so, Closed Groups are increasingly common on FB and one tends not to have that in mind when you have access, I think George invited me to the groups when I was contemplating the purchase of a Skyfire and before I moved my aspirations up a gear, or several, to the Syil X7.

These links get you to the groups even if not logged into FB so they should at least allow you to see the join request button -

https://www.facebook.com/groups/836895159817180/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/112146499448217/

Snapper
28-03-2019, 07:25 PM
Decent iron for the price with shite electrics. Have had numerous problems with mine, aside from the issues it shipped with, by and large down to cheap and nasty sensors that are anything but waterproof, but it looks like it’s finally all sorted and hasn’t skipped a beat for weeks since replacing the last ones.

Might sell it if you’re interested.

andy_con
29-03-2019, 08:36 AM
Decent iron for the price with shite electrics. Have had numerous problems with mine, aside from the issues it shipped with, by and large down to cheap and nasty sensors that are anything but waterproof, but it looks like it’s finally all sorted and hasn’t skipped a beat for weeks since replacing the last ones.

Might sell it if you’re interested.
What machine do you have and with what extras?

Snapper
29-03-2019, 10:07 AM
What machine do you have and with what extras?

SVM2-VMC new July 2018
10k spindle with ceramic bearings
3.7kw spindle motor (currently hooked up to 2.2kw VFD for single phase, also have 4kw VFD for 3 phase input)
12 station ATC
Adtech 5 axis capable control with rigid tapping
MPG
Electronic tool probe which I’ve never used :biggrin:
Spindle coolant ring
It’s got the stronger coolant pump and better bearing supports
The crappy sensors have been swapped out for genuine Panasonic and Omron
It’s had a new X axis servo motor with a proper IP68 rated connector on it, to replace the OG molex connector wrapped in electrical tape it shipped with :hysterical:
Modified the lower door runner (ie all the ball bearings have burst out so it no longer gets jammed with chips. HUGE improvement!)

Also included would be a large amount of BT30 tooling (er chucks, set screw holders and 2x hydraulic milling chucks), a BT30 assembly pot, a tschorn 3D taster and an assortment of tnuts.

On top of that all the usual gear, servo’s on each axis, C3 ballscrews, footmaster castors with levelling feet, etc etc. I also have all the gear to add a proper wash down gun and a filter on the coolant, which has been sitting here awhile. Might put it all on today actually if I get chance.

andy_con
29-03-2019, 10:25 AM
How much do you want for it?

Snapper
29-03-2019, 11:18 AM
How much do you want for it?

I would take £17k ex vat for the lot.

needleworks
29-03-2019, 01:18 PM
This guy here seems to have a bit of experience with the skyfire, although I think he has now moved on to Syil

https://www.youtube.com/user/DCTTeacher1/search?query=skyfire

andy_con
29-03-2019, 01:20 PM
I would take £17k ex vat for the lot.

given a brand new base model is £15k new I'll pass but thanks for the offer.

andy_con
29-03-2019, 01:21 PM
This guy here seems to have a bit of experience with the skyfire, although I think he has now moved on to Syil

https://www.youtube.com/user/DCTTeacher1/search?query=skyfire

The reason I'm very interested in the skyfire is cos it will fit through my gate and down the side of my house. The syil won't

Snapper
29-03-2019, 01:45 PM
given a brand new base model is £15k new I'll pass but thanks for the offer.

It’s not, I think they start at about £21k delivered now. I know they increased the price but not sure how much by. Plus all the tooling there’s about £25k worth of stuff there in a bundle ready to go with all (I think) the bad bits corrected. Besides at just a little over 6 months old it basically is a brand new machine.

Then if you’re not paying in cash keep in mind there’s an eye watering amount of interest in order to finance something off a small, unknown Chinese company who don’t even bother to answer their phone.

andy_con
29-03-2019, 11:33 PM
If you were selling for 15 including vat we would be exchanging contact details

It’s not, I think they start at about £21k delivered now. I know they increased the price but not sure how much by. Plus all the tooling there’s about £25k worth of stuff there in a bundle ready to go with all (I think) the bad bits corrected. Besides at just a little over 6 months old it basically is a brand new machine.

Then if you’re not paying in cash keep in mind there’s an eye watering amount of interest in order to finance something off a small, unknown Chinese company who don’t even bother to answer their phone.

magicniner
30-03-2019, 02:49 PM
Look into proper professional industrial machine moving companies, you could get a Syil X7 craned over your house :D

andy_con
30-03-2019, 10:07 PM
Look into proper professional industrial machine moving companies, you could get a Syil X7 craned over your house :D

I wish, power and phone are both over head cables going to my house. so unlikely there would be enough room

andy_con
30-03-2019, 10:07 PM

can you use a touch probe and z height setter with this machine?

Snapper
31-03-2019, 11:42 AM
can you use a touch probe and z height setter with this machine?

There is an automatic tool probe included with it.

Not sure about the spindle probe, there is the probe input so it could definitely be done one way or another. But truth be told it’s not necessary the tschorn is basically a manual spindle probe with a clock on it, you can do all the same things with it other than in process control, and it’s so accurate, fast and easy to use for setting X, Y and Z.

It’s the same as a Haimer, you may have heard of those?

magicniner
31-03-2019, 12:36 PM
I've got a Tschorn for picking up stock positions on my Syil X7, I'm not sure it's capable of the precision for feature locations on parts to the same repeatability as the axis positioning on my machine though.

Snapper
31-03-2019, 01:53 PM
I've got a Tschorn for picking up stock positions on my Syil X7, I'm not sure it's capable of the precision for feature locations on parts to the same repeatability as the axis positioning on my machine though.

If it’s properly dialled in its accurate to microns I think. They do like to loosen up so if supreme accuracy is required it’s best to check it before each measurement. My renishaw is no different but the difference is with that you can leave a ring gauge on the table and automatically calibrate it to compensate for any error which takes about 10 seconds. I’m fairly certain my tschorn is more accurate than the skyfire, particularly when things start cutting, although I’ve used it on parts with 4 setups and not had any issues getting them to spec. It’s immaterial anyway in my opinion because at those sorts of tolerances when a tschorn becomes a liability we are talking 6 figure machines in air conditioned shops.

One thing I would say is never to back off with it, always measure in the same direction, it does seem to stick a little when reversing which can throw things off slightly. If you do overshoot then back all the way off and approach again.

magicniner
31-03-2019, 05:05 PM
The base model is repeatable to 0.01mm, they are not free with the information but the more expensive models may be better.

cncchris
04-04-2019, 11:40 AM
Avoid skyfire. No support, no response from factory. Won't be able to get spare parts, just about all that have bought have been disappointed. This isn't the first time defeng from skyfire has done this, he was selling machines under a different name that went out of business.

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

Snapper
04-04-2019, 10:25 PM
Avoid skyfire. No support, no response from factory. Won't be able to get spare parts, just about all that have bought have been disappointed. This isn't the first time defeng from skyfire has done this, he was selling machines under a different name that went out of business.

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

Pretty much. I’ve had a number of issues and all but one either I or George managed to rectify without the slow and ponderous help of skyfire. I have received all spare parts I’ve needed (things that were either wrong on the original shipment or broke due to faults with the machine) some did take awhile to actually get them sent out though. But nearly everything is off the shelf, the only proprietary things on the machine are the breakout board and the ATC driver board. The ATC board is a very simple thing which can be replaced with a few relays if needed (I had to for the first couple of months as the board went bang as soon as I powered it up the first time). The breakout board is a breakout board.

If buying new I would definitely recommend staying away, it’s just not worth all the hassle finding and resolving everything they’ve either done wrong or simply not bothered to do at the factory. Many scrapped parts, days (weeks in total) of down with the machine in bits. I think I should probably have done it all now, it’s been running flawlessly for weeks and still in use. Or at least just buy the hardware which is actually pretty good and fit all your own electrics to it. And definitely don’t buy direct! I am so glad I just got to pass my issues on to George and let him stay up til stupid hours or wake up before the birds to keep nagging and chasing them up about things and tear his hair out trying to get through to them :hysterical:

AndyGuid
05-04-2019, 12:31 AM
. . . had a number of issues and all but one either I or George managed to rectify without the slow and ponderous help of skyfire.

Reckon you and George should volunteer to help your government, :hysterical: By all accounts it seems that they are rather slow and ponderous . . . . . . . :hysterical:

komatias
13-04-2019, 08:30 AM
Andy, if only...

But as the boys have said, think "Plague" when considering a Skyfire. We only really have them on the site so people stop by and we can point them toward the light.

Syil have been freaking AWESOME, am on the skype and messenger to their CEO on most mornings and they are hugely receptive to improvments. We are averaging around 3 machines a month in my regions (UK,IRE,EU) so I must say, am very very happy.

steeve
11-07-2020, 07:16 PM
Hi, Sadly I find that the equivalent sized Syil just does not quite have the travel I was after so, even with the adverse comments I would consider it. As a newbie on this site I've not yet found if personal messaging is possible so please indicate if youd like me to offer my email.

komatias
12-07-2020, 02:20 PM
Hi, Sadly I find that the equivalent sized Syil just does not quite have the travel I was after so, even with the adverse comments I would consider it. As a newbie on this site I've not yet found if personal messaging is possible so please indicate if youd like me to offer my email.

Hi Steeve,

what are the travels you are after? you can reach out on by mailing me on info at emvioeng.com.

Boyan Silyavski
13-07-2020, 12:08 PM
For that kind of money a good second hand japanese or German machine could be bought