PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: MACH 3 or LINUX Conversion on my Denford Lathe

Dangle_kt
30-05-2019, 04:11 PM
Hi,

Wondering if anyone offers a Mach 3 or Linux conversion on my Denford Starturn? The controller let the smoke out last year and I don't have a clue to do it myself.

There is a guy on Ebay who does it, but in previous discussions with him, the tool changer turret can't be controlled - which is a massive loss of functionality.

So, I want to be able to threading, and the tool changer to work...

I can pay up to £1k for the conversion - need a 4 week turn around as I have a job coming up I need it for.

hanermo2
01-06-2019, 06:54 PM
Re-calibrate your expectations.
Imo.
Ime.

A csmcio-ip-s costs 1500, +/-, for the controller alone, dc psus, conduits, standoffs, ferrules, boxes, cables etc.
Wiring everything takes 2 days, when you already know everything about everything, and have done it several times.

Does the spindle have an encoder ?
If not, how will you or someone add one ?

It took 200 hours to do my first good lathe re-build circa 2006.
It took 200 hours to do my next saddle rebuild last year, on 750W ac servos. Details remain.

A linux+mesa hw may cost 1000$ less in hw, but all the work remains.

A basic ghetto stepper system can be set up in 2 days, if brackets and spot-welded stuff is acceptable.

2 ac servos, 60V DC, 400W, pulley drives, psu, would cost less than 1000$.
(390€ each servo).
A pokeys controller would work, 150€.
One would then need to mount/fab brackets, align everything, typically get pulleys bored to size on the driven ends, etc.

Dangle_kt
01-06-2019, 07:23 PM
I already have a fanuc servo lathe, so I don't need servo level performance.
I don't understand why anyone would sink ^^^^ that sort of money into a hobby machine, in fact I doubt most hobby level machines have the rigidity to match servo federates
A reasonable level stepper conversion is all I need.
Got one arranged for 500.
Thanks

hanermo2
01-06-2019, 09:41 PM
Em..
You wanted commercial quality, and commercial threading, in Your post.
Threading was a requirement.

After 2000+ work hours on threading over 12 years I have very strong ideas on what why and how some things work, or not.

Never meant to ruffle feathers.
Let´s see how your stuff works out, ok ?

I already have a fanuc servo lathe, so I don't need servo level performance.
I don't understand why anyone would sink ^^^^ that sort of money into a hobby machine, in fact I doubt most hobby level machines have the rigidity to match servo federates
A reasonable level stepper conversion is all I need.
Got one arranged for 500.
Thanks

Dangle_kt
01-06-2019, 09:54 PM
Not ruffled, just not sure why threading is seen as advanced, lathes have been doing it for over 200 years.
But I'm sorry if my reply was short, I wrote it whilst doing something else.

magicniner
02-06-2019, 01:06 PM
not sure why threading is seen as advanced, lathes have been doing it for over 200 years.

Are you unaware of the difference in technology between spindle driven changewheels/gearboxes/lead screws and the electronic synchronisation of spindle encoders and axis ball screws or is it so straight forward to you that you don't need to ask questions about it? :D

Dangle_kt
02-06-2019, 01:19 PM
If your not answering my question you go be smug elsewhere. 👍

magicniner
02-06-2019, 02:35 PM
Can I be smug about you not knowing the difference between Your and You're then? :D

Dangle_kt
02-06-2019, 02:38 PM
I have a sneaky feeling you will smug whether I want you to be or not. Some people are just like that.

Have a fabulous Sunday.

magicniner
02-06-2019, 03:13 PM
Cheers!
I am having a nice Sunday, good beer, good food, nice VMC running high value parts to fill existing customer orders, can't beat it! :D

manny2003
17-07-2019, 12:43 PM
HI All,
To Dangle_kt,
do you still have the old computer from your Denford, and what model is it?
I have a TU 150U and the computer is not work.

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks
Manni

manny2003
17-07-2019, 02:08 PM
HI,
If you need Macro for mach3 for turret control as a axis, I did converted a Boxford 160tlc to Mach3.