PDA

View Full Version : chester hobby lathe conversion to cnc help please

dorset
31-05-2019, 09:42 AM
hi another newbie to the forum but no means new to the world of engineering! i have recently acquired a chester hobby lathe with a few bits and pieces. Seems to run fine and cuts steel, brass ally all with no problems. i am looking at converting it to a cnc lathe and am struggling abit on where to start?

1) is there a complete list of parts needed?
2) where is the best place to buy the parts?
3) is it a case of fitting the parts and plugging in via usb then loading mach3?
4) diagrams of the electric side of things?

this will be my first attempt at anything like this so diagrams, advice, would be very welcome.

ps, sorry its "another" mini lathe cnc conversion thread, im just hoping someone is willing to put some time in to help me out. It just at looking online at conversion kits the prices seem like you may as well buy a professional cnc lathe!!!

i have a load of brass bar ends too that came with the lathe that i dont need if anyone wants them sent to them in the post for helping me out :thumsup:

needleworks
31-05-2019, 12:50 PM
I don't know what size your lathe is but a quick google search turned up this video, maybe it will give you some ideas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rEC3S5HFY8

dorset
31-05-2019, 12:52 PM
Hi thanks for the link, i have seen several videos and all these hobby lathes are pretty much similar. I was after a more sort of in depth instruction type guide? Will check the vid now though thanks

dorset
31-05-2019, 05:21 PM
Hi ive seen this video already and others! I was looking at a more in depth instruction guide, parts list etc etc in the uk?

Thanks

magicniner
31-05-2019, 07:26 PM
just at looking online at conversion kits the prices seem like you may as well buy a professional cnc lathe!!!:

Do tell!
A Siemens base level controller with drives, servos and spindle motor will leave you with little change from £5k
What are the kit prices and what professional lathes come in at conversion kit prices?

dorset
31-05-2019, 07:40 PM
Do tell!
A Siemens base level controller with drives, servos and spindle motor will leave you with little change from £5k
What are the kit prices and what professional lathes come in at conversion kit prices?

It was just an expression “magician””er”!!! The kits ive seen online range from £4-800? Plus the cost of an average hobby lathe your in 1k+

Ive seen some boxford cnc lathes go for 700-1800 depending on condition amd timing of auction. I just wanted to have a go at a brand new project as ive never done anyhting like it before. I kinda guess i need two nema motors, pcb boards, ball screws, psu, somehow connect it all together and plug into pc and load up mach3!?

But exactly how i do all that is where im stuck

:confusion:

magicniner
31-05-2019, 10:23 PM
Ah, so you're comparing New Kit + New Lathe to Second Hand? :D

Avoid Mach3 for a lathe unless the Motion Controller supplier (money back) guarantees it will work for threading ;-)

dorset
31-05-2019, 11:30 PM
Thanks