PDA

View Full Version : Spindle cable a bit stiff??

Voicecoil
02-09-2019, 02:24 PM
So some 4 core CY 1mm2 cable landed from Farnell on Friday to wire up the spindle - however it's rather on the stiff side, I'm wondering is it worth splashing out on some Lapp Olflex 810 at £4.20/metre, will it be that much better?? or does anyone know of a source of a nice flexible type please?

JAZZCNC
05-09-2019, 05:56 PM
So some 4 core CY 1mm2 cable landed from Farnell on Friday to wire up the spindle - however it's rather on the stiff side, I'm wondering is it worth splashing out on some Lapp Olflex 810 at £4.20/metre, will it be that much better?? or does anyone know of a source of a nice flexible type please?

Usually CY cable works fine and will soften up in use. Personally, I'd use it and if it causes you a problem then replace at later date, but i'm 99% sure it won't.

Nealieboyee
05-09-2019, 06:48 PM
I'm using 4 core 1mm CY. Seems stiff at first, but it will run through a cable chain and move about just fine. At my last job, we used the same stuff in bigger sizes. It will soften up.

Voicecoil
05-09-2019, 08:31 PM
Cheers for the advice guys, I'll give it a go.

Neale
09-09-2019, 09:42 AM
I also made sure that there was an extra loop of cable so that it moved more freely, and clipped the cable near the plug on the spindle to make sure that there was no movement between plug and cable - can lead to internal connections fracturing over time.