PDA

View Full Version : Y axis problems

Desertboy
20-12-2019, 11:13 AM
Been a while but I've been using my machine finally and my Y axis started faulting, single motor driven.

The axis will not travel in the positive direction and makes a binding sound moves fine in the negative.

I've traced it to either a Stepper driver fault or a faulty Nema 23, checked the wiring have continuity. Mechanically everything is free no binding.

The Y axis Nema 23 is 2nd hand I have no idea how much use or age.

I've ordered 2 4nm Nema 23's to put on the X axis which will give me 2 spare 1.8nm nema's I will swap one on to the Y axis. My X axis has always been underpowered so I was planning this anyway.

I have 4 AM882 drivers one per motor.

Machine is now driven by a DDCSV I swapped the Y and Z step/dir inputs and works it's not the controller.

If it's not the Nema 23 that has failed and is the Driver can I use 3 drivers temporarily and double up the motors on the X axis driver?

If it has failed I want to swap for another AM882 which I need to get from China.

Desertboy
20-12-2019, 10:25 PM
It's the Nema I stripped it off the machine and tried to power it directly from the driver, then tried the driver with another motor.

Driver's fine Nema is shot.

magicniner
22-12-2019, 11:04 PM
It's a stepper motor, NEMA is, well, have a read -

https://www.nema.org/pages/default.aspx

:D