PDA

View Full Version : Stepper Driver Fault

chas-SX3
09-01-2020, 11:54 PM
I'm trying to recommision my Syil SX3 after a long period of no use & I'm experiencing an intermittant fault LED on the Z axis stepper driver.

Before getting too technical, I have a spare stepper driver for the 4th axis which I will swap over but I was wondering if the fault could lie elsewhere & something is feeding back to the stepper driver?

john swift
10-01-2020, 01:52 PM
Was the machine simply switched off and left unused or was move into storage ?

If its been stored in cold damp conditions
check the wiring for damage and connectors and Z axis stepper motor for corrosion

what's the stepper driver part number ?

first I would search for the stepper driver data to see what the fault LED could be indicating
( motor stall , over temperature , internal driver fault ? )

once your sure the wiring is OK
I would try connecting the Z axis motor to the spare driver

John

chas-SX3
10-01-2020, 01:59 PM
I would try connecting the Z axis motor to the spare driver

John

Sorted now thx. Simple job to swap wiring over to the 4th axis driver but required a small child contortionist to get access back of the machine :-)

AFAIK the stepper driver is proprietry Syil, attached is Syils PDF& if I cannot source one do you know of any options?27040

john swift
10-01-2020, 02:25 PM
for some reason apart from the photo on page 1 the pages in th syil manual are blank !

The photo of the driver reminds me of the Leadshine drivers usd by Tormach
the Tormach driver having a 10 pin box header instead of the usual 6 way connector for the step , direction and enable inputs

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormach-personal-cnc-mill/347610-microstep-driver-pinouts.html

John

cropwell
11-01-2020, 01:42 AM
Sorted now thx. Simple job to swap wiring over to the 4th axis driver but required a small child contortionist to get access back of the machine :-)

AFAIK the stepper driver is proprietry Syil, attached is Syils PDF& if I cannot source one do you know of any options?27040

I have three of them doing nothing but sitting in a drawer - I live in Cropwell Bishop, PM me if you want one or all of them. BTW they are Tonman drivers and obsolete.

chas-SX3
11-01-2020, 08:15 AM
I have three of them doing nothing but sitting in a drawer - I live in Cropwell Bishop, PM me if you want one or all of them. BTW they are Tonman drivers and obsolete.

Oooh, yes please. Are they off a Syil SX3 ???

I'm only 20mls away so I could pick them up anytime. How £much do you want?

cropwell
11-01-2020, 11:54 AM
PM sent