PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to 3040T Machine Table/Bed, options?

davitc
14-01-2020, 09:10 AM
I have a 3040T with a movable gantry and 800w VFD. The machine was described as large in Amazon and I am quite happy with all but the less than rigid extruded aluminium table which just vibrates too much. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FYGW47F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would like to machine some aluminium but mainly wood and plastic i.e. Acrylic/HDPE of upto 200mm square by 40mm thick. Use of a spoil board is not necessarily important.

I've seen this link https://mbcreates.com/cnc-router/cnc-6040-machine-bed-upgrade/ my machine is very similar but I think just a smaller scale, without Linear rails and the 2.2kw VFD.

I consider my options are below as I have no access to any other engineering machinery although I was a semi-skilled engineer/toolmaker/machinist for 18 years up to 14 years ago when I changed career:

1. Get a piece of Aluminuim 30mm thick cast tooling plate cut to the size of the table and bolt it down to the useless extrusion or the frame
2. Get a piece of steel plate, mount that to the frame and then mount either a T-Slot board from Vacuum tables or a piece of thinner aluminium tooling plate
3. Get a piece of steel t-slot plate (https://vacuumtables.co.uk/steel-t-slot-plates/standard/steel-t-slot-plate-6030) and mount it direct to the frame.

I know I am never going to improve the machine greatly but I also have the problem that I live in a flat with no external building suitable for use with anything bigger. I would love one of those Desktop HAAS machines but I'm not sure I can get them in the UH and would probably be horrendously expensive.

JAZZCNC
14-01-2020, 09:20 PM
I would love one of those Desktop HAAS machines but I'm not sure I can get them in the UH and would probably be horrendously expensive.

You basically do have a HAAS because they are using pretty much the same cheap Chinese machine in a fancy steel box with a fancy controller which they'll no doubt charge a fortune for.! . . . . The best controller in the world can't make these machines any better so yes you have a HAAS.

Regards the bed then I'd go with the 30mm Ali tooling plate and let the machine drill matrix of holes which you then tap and use for fixturing. Dump the T-slot altogether.

davitc
15-01-2020, 12:30 PM
You basically do have a HAAS because they are using pretty much the same cheap Chinese machine in a fancy steel box with a fancy controller which they'll no doubt charge a fortune for.! . . . . The best controller in the world can't make these machines any better so yes you have a HAAS.

Regards the bed then I'd go with the 30mm Ali tooling plate and let the machine drill matrix of holes which you then tap and use for fixturing. Dump the T-slot altogether.

Thanks @JAZZCNC

It would prob be the cheapest option and I don't want to lose too much Z height.

I made an enclosure for it already with some 8mm thick poly-carbonate doors and removable side panels, PC cooling system for the VFD, LED work lamps off amazon and even a solenoid controlled valve for the misting system, it's been a nice project so far :-)

I will prob look at having both M8 and M6 tapped holes and maybe some holes for location pins, oh my it may resemble a tea bag by the time I'm finished :-)

JAZZCNC
15-01-2020, 06:17 PM
It would prob be the cheapest option and I don't want to lose too much Z height.

To be honest 20mm will be strong enough here's a little machine I built few years ago that uses a 20mm tooling plate and it's plenty strong enough.

JohnHaine
30-01-2020, 11:57 AM
You could even thread mill the holes using the machine!