PDA

View Full Version : Electronics for Hobby-Line 6045 from Sorotec

hardenum
07-02-2020, 12:34 PM
Hi I recently purchased a Hobby-Line 6045 from Sorotec and a Mechatron 1.5 kW spindle. It's gonna be my first time owning a cnc. Originally the kit is bundled with

AMB FME-Q 800
NEMA23 1.8Nm
Lichuan MC542 drives

I thought I'd instead get:

Mechatron HFSAC-8015 1.5 kW spindle https://www.mechatron-gmbh.de/typo3conf/ext/Datenblaetter_2018/Datenblatt_HFSAC-8015-24_web.pdf
Nema23 3Nm https://cdn-reichelt.de/documents/datenblatt/A300/NEMA23-03_DB_EN.pdf
UC300ETH-5LPT

After some research I decided to go with UCCNC. Cam is Solidcam.

I saw some recommendations to pair the UC300ETH-5LPT with UB1 BOB or a Gecko540. Honestly I have no idea what to look for. I mostly want to mill aluminum alloys, nothing fancy, the regular stuff you can get on ebay.

What about the drives? A DM542?
Breakout board?
variable frequency drive for the spindle?
PSU?

Thanks!

JAZZCNC
07-02-2020, 08:13 PM
What electronics have you purchased so far.?

hardenum
07-02-2020, 10:38 PM
What electronics have you purchased so far.?

None, only the frame and the spindle. I though I'd ask first, since I have no experience and I'd rather pay more for quality electronics and have it last a few years then have something cheap that will only work for a few months.

My total budget for the whole electronics shebang including a spindle drive is 1000EUR.

JAZZCNC
08-02-2020, 12:33 PM
None, only the frame and the spindle. I though I'd ask first, since I have no experience and I'd rather pay more for quality electronics and have it last a few years then have something cheap that will only work for a few months.

My total budget for the whole electronics shebang including a spindle drive is 1000EUR.

Ok well, that will get you a nice setup.

Regards the controller then if you don't need more than 6 Inputs and 8 Outputs, which for a typical router that doesn't use tool changing spindle is more than enough. Then I'd look at the AXBB controller as it's a neat little package that doesn't require a BOB. It's got all you need from a controller 400Khz frequency and 24vdc I/O and 0-10V Analog Output for spindle control.

The UC300ETH and UB1 is also a very nice combo but it's expensive and if you don't need all the I/O then it's a waste of money which could be better spent on other things like Closed-loop steppers. Which brings me nicely onto steppers.!

The price of Closed-loop stepper systems have dropped to the point it's not worth buying a standard stepper system if you can afford the little extra.
I've fitted many closed-loop systems now and they are superior in performance and more reliable than a standard stepper system.
You'll see many Chinese versions along with Leadshine who are most prominent, I've used most of the main ones you'll find and I see no difference in performance from the Leadshine over the others. Now I mostly fit Lichuan and buy direct from Lichuan these days.

You'll buy these a lot cheaper if get from China. Don't be afraid to buy from China because you can save a lot of money, I've been buying from China for years without any problems and to be honest, I get better service than I do in the EU and a lot more respect.

Regards the PSU then look for drives with a Max voltage of at least 70Vdc and run them approximately 10% below this rating. For a good machine, you want to be running the motors above 50Vdc to get higher RPM with torque but you'll see a lot of 50Vdc Max drives which you'll need to run at 40Vdc to be safe and this will lower the machine's performance.

Also, a lot of the current drives allow you to run them with AC or DC power, it doesn't really matter which you use the performance will be the same. However, AC is simpler as it doesn't require you rectify AC to DC using a bridge rectifier and Capacitors. It only requires a transformer with the correct AC output, the 10% allowance above still applies.

The best type of PSU for a CNC machine is an unregulated PSU, The most common type is toroidal PSU and if going DC is used with Bridge rectifier and capacitors to give the DC output required. They are simple things to build so don't be intimidated if going with DC power but AC does simplify things.

Regards the VFD then I cannot help other than to say any that meets the spindle spec will work. I only ever fit the Chinese spindles and Huanyang VFD's and don't ever have any problems.

Thou if it was me I wouldn't be paying a fortune for a brand name because the Cheap Chinese VFDs work perfectly well for the DIY environment and you could buy 4 VFDs for the price of a leading brand name.!!... Or 2 full sets of spindles and VFD's.!!!

hardenum
08-02-2020, 05:16 PM
Many thanks for the reply! Can you link me where exactly you get the lichuan drives? I dont see any shop link on Lichuans website, thanks.

the great waldo
08-02-2020, 06:35 PM
Here you go

https://www.sorotec.de/shop/CNC-Steuerungstechnik/Closed-loop-Systeme/lichuan-closed-loop-systeme/

Cheers/servus
Andrew

JAZZCNC
08-02-2020, 08:02 PM
Here's their Aliexpress shop, send them an email asking for a quote including shipping to your region. Much cheaper than Sorotec.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1907567?spm=a2g0o.detail.100005.2.569f5bd5xG17gv

Neale
08-02-2020, 08:11 PM
Slightly off-topic, Dean, but related to your previous post - a good while back you posted a video review of some servo systems that you had been playing with. They were from BST Automation but they don't seem to list such things any more. Lichuan good for those as well? I'm still planning a vertical mill CNC conversion and might consider servos.

JAZZCNC
08-02-2020, 11:25 PM
Slightly off-topic, Dean, but related to your previous post - a good while back you posted a video review of some servo systems that you had been playing with. They were from BST Automation but they don't seem to list such things any more. Lichuan good for those as well? I'm still planning a vertical mill CNC conversion and might consider servos.

Yes, Neale, they are good for servo's as well. However, they have just introduced a new range of servo's which I haven't used yet. The ones I used were the older AASD type which where exactly the same one's BST sold. They are a very common Chinese drive and you'll see them in many different disguises with different badges but essentially they are all AASD drives.
For the money, you can't go wrong working out at roughly £300 a set Inc shipping Vat etc. This was for 60mm frame 600W 3000rpm motor and Drive with 5Mtr cables.
Same but 110 frame 1.8Kw 3000Rpm worked out at roughly £360.

hardenum
09-02-2020, 02:11 PM
Here's their Aliexpress shop, send them an email asking for a quote including shipping to your region. Much cheaper than Sorotec.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1907567?spm=a2g0o.detail.100005.2.569f5bd5xG17gv

Thanks! I see they have 2-phase and 3-phase closed loop steppers, which ones should I email them about, whats the practical difference between the two?

Gytis
09-02-2020, 03:32 PM
You can also check them out on ebay too,
https://www.ebay.com/str/Shenzhen-XinLiChuan-Electric?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
same seller as Jazz mentioned just on different selling platform
and for some reason on ebay it's cheaper than on aliexpress and
you can make an offer on ebay too
I saved 20%+ compared to aliexpress prices

JAZZCNC
09-02-2020, 03:45 PM
Thanks! I see they have 2-phase and 3-phase closed loop steppers, which ones should I email them about, what's the practical difference between the two?

The main difference is the step angle of the motor. 3 phase motors are 1.2deg(sometimes 0.9Deg) and 2 phase is 1.8Deg. This translates into a slightly smoother action from the 3 phase motors, they are also slightly stronger and hold torque higher up the speed curve. However, they only sell 3 phase motors with 50Vdc drives up to 3Nm with Nema 23 motors.

This is the one I use and would ask about. Slightly more Nm than required but can be run on AC or DC power up to 70Vac or 100Vdc. They come with 3mtr length encoder cables but if you require longer then just ask and they will provide up to 7mtr lengths.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32799547111.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.33.1229 3421WyjFh5

JAZZCNC
09-02-2020, 03:54 PM
same seller as Jazz mentioned just on different selling platform
and for some reason on ebay it's cheaper than on aliexpress and
you can make an offer on ebay too
I saved 20%+ compared to aliexpress prices

This is why I say always email them for a price rather than paying the listed price, they will often lower the price. Plus if you are prepared to pay outside of ebay or Aliexpress they will knock a little more off because not paying fees. I do this all the time with Lichuan and BST and never had any issues with either.

hardenum
09-02-2020, 08:39 PM
The main difference is the step angle of the motor. 3 phase motors are 1.2deg(sometimes 0.9Deg) and 2 phase is 1.8Deg. This translates into a slightly smoother action from the 3 phase motors, they are also slightly stronger and hold torque higher up the speed curve. However, they only sell 3 phase motors with 50Vdc drives up to 3Nm with Nema 23 motors.

This is the one I use and would ask about. Slightly more Nm than required but can be run on AC or DC power up to 70Vac or 100Vdc. They come with 3mtr length encoder cables but if you require longer then just ask and they will provide up to 7mtr lengths.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32799547111.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.33.1229 3421WyjFh5

I was skeptical at first, but I checked nema 23/24 sizes and I did not know the mounting holes were the same distance. I'm totally getting these then. Thanks!

JAZZCNC
09-02-2020, 09:44 PM
I was skeptical at first, but I checked nema 23/24 sizes and I did not know the mounting holes were the same distance. I'm totally getting these then. Thanks!

The only difference between them is NEMA 23 width is 57mm NEMA 24 are 60mm. You can get NEMA 24 with 50mm Hole spacing if required.

Just to make you aware that depending on your country then you will pay Vat and possibly Import tax and often the courier will charge a handling fee. In UK I only get charged for VAT and handling charge of approx £15-20.