PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: New member looking for machine advice

latza
22-02-2020, 02:19 PM
Hi. I’ve just stumbled upon these cnc routers and fancy one for making a few hobby bits.

Is there a cheap machine that will do a fair job on a 40x40cm workpiece before I decide to bite the mullet and spend a bit more

Thanks

Clive S
22-02-2020, 03:22 PM
Hi. I’ve just stumbled upon these cnc routers and fancy one for making a few hobby bits.

Is there a cheap machine that will do a fair job on a 40x40cm workpiece before I decide to bite the mullet and spend a bit more

Thanks

Latza Welcome to the forum. What have you stumbled on?

mekanik
22-02-2020, 07:52 PM
Hi Latza Welcome to the forum, a link to your intended purchase would be helpfull, also need to know what you are intending to machine and to what precision.
Regards
Mike

latza
22-02-2020, 08:55 PM
I havnt found a machine yet. I’m contemplating making one. I can fabricate and make things so that’s not a problem but I don’t know anything about the motors and drivers at all

Is there a fairly powerful motor kit with everything in that I can buy and bold to a table

I’d like to be able to fit a 8x4 sheet if possible

JAZZCNC
22-02-2020, 11:54 PM
Hi Latza,

Strongly advise you to search around the forum and do some research before buying anything. The cheap machine kits you'll see are often not very good, same for kits of components, they nearly always have components that are not correct.

Building a machine isn't difficult if you are handy with tools and can fabricate but it does require planning and good understanding of what you'll need. Do the research before doing anything else and look at other build threads. Then start a build thread of your own and ask all your questions in that thread. This way when people look they can go back and see the whole story.

If you rush out and buy stuff without the research or no plan on machine design then you will 99.9% buy the wrong stuff.

latza
23-02-2020, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the above.

Is this any good ? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F 254518989549

I wouldn’t mind having a little bit play around with a cheap one before I spend the money on making a big one

AndyGuid
23-02-2020, 12:50 AM
. . . . . .Is this any good ? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F 254518989549

Nope!

latza
23-02-2020, 01:41 AM
Why entry level machine would anyone recommend

JAZZCNC
23-02-2020, 02:22 AM
Is this any good ? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F 254518989549

The answer to the question "Is this any good" is NO. . . .BUT . . . . If you said is this any good to learn CNC with then answer is Yes. Just don't expect to do the things you see others do with more polished and better spec'd machines.

Expect that it won't work straight out the box and you will be here asking how to get it working. Also expect that when you do eventually get it working that you will probably spend a lot of your time tweaking or repairing. Expect that it will sooner rather than later blow up a drive or the controller or spindle.???.

So as you see you will learn CNC one way or the other, some times it will work and you'll learn how to cut with it, most of the time it will be broke or frustrating the fu#king daylights out you and you'll learn how to fix a CNC machine.!!

Will it teach you how to build your own or what components you'll need then honestly no it won't. Because they are rubbish and anything used on them you wouldn't want on a decent machine.

Will it enable you to learn how to operate a CNC machine then yes it will, when it's working.! They are actually very good for learnig on because they are cheap, just don't expect too much from them and don't waste any money or time trying to upgrade or make better, because you honestly can't make a Silk purse out of a sows ear.

However, if all you want is to learn how to code and operate a CNC machine then you don't actually need a physical machine, it can all be simulated.
Most control software will allow you to run in demo mode and will run any G-code you produce just as if it was connected to the machine.
The CAD/CAM side is something you can and would learn without needing a CNC machine and again any code produced can be Simulated either by G-code Sim program or directly in the controller which would run the physical machine.

Honestly rushing to get a CNC machine is the biggest mistake new people make and it nearly always end's up costing them lots of money or worse put's them off.
DIY building isn't difficult and you can build a machine that will match many industrial machines for a fraction of the cost, but it can not be rushed or short cuts taken to do it correctly.

mekanik
23-02-2020, 11:44 AM
An indication of your budget would help, decent kit costs decent cash, as advised you really need to research the build logs.
Regards
Mike

Desertboy
23-02-2020, 05:04 PM
Can you draw in a CAD program?

latza
23-02-2020, 11:48 PM
Thanks mate I’ll have a look now.

The info I’m after really is what motors and drivers I need to order

Desertboy
24-02-2020, 09:22 AM
Really you need to start with the design, never buy anything until you've drawn out when you are going to build.

Nema 23's and cheap stepper drivers you can buy on ebay with quick delivery.

I bought one of these was delivered 2 days later
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nema-23-Stepper-Motor-3Nm-4-2A-10mm-Shaft-113mm-Length-4-Wires-for-CNC-Cutting/392150487316

3 of them would make a nice X&Y drive if paired with a decent frame, slides and ballscrew.

Although the Stepper Drivers I use you can only buy from China, Alixpress is the better place for them.

Linear rail and ballscrews will come from China these will be your long ship items.

Expect China to take from 21-28 days I have always got import tax on ballscrews & linear rail. The stepper drivers slipped through tax free.

Also are you going to belt drive or direct coupling?

This is why you should start with a CAD model, someone has to make you plates after all and do not underestimate this part, for many people it's the hardest part of the build.

You will find people on the forums to make them, expect to pay but a lot less than a machine shop.

Desertboy
24-02-2020, 09:30 AM
I would suggest Latza if you are near a fellow member going to see someone who's built their own machine, nothing beats seeing one in person and having a chat to get a real idea what's involved.

Yes it's scary, no it's not really that hard and yes you will tear your hair out.

Where are you?

Newventures
02-03-2020, 01:33 PM
Sorry to jump in on this thread ....
1st a hello from Aberystwyth on Mid Wales coast from a complete newby novice.
I'm totally new and looking for help and ideas the questions and answers are very interesting, good luck with your build I'll be closely following it.
Is there anyone near Aberystwyth that has a machine I could come and see to chat and hopefully learn? Ultimately I'm after building / buying / owning a machine that will handle 8' X 4' sheets bit as I say I'm 100% totally new and all this is foreign to me ......but I am a fully qualified carpenter with nearly 40years experience and have many other mechanical skills and understanding... hopefully will gain a lot from this forum
Steve