PDA

View Full Version : Found the perfect machine for Jazz :-)

m_c
15-06-2020, 11:43 AM
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3940863

It's got linear rails, so it must be perfect for machining aluminium?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jte3kDz1xTw

Doddy
15-06-2020, 12:38 PM
I know your post is a little tongue-in-cheek, but this is probably as useful as the flimsier 3020 toys. Might even have a sensible use for e.g. PCB drilling/routing.

I'd hate to think of the filament costs, and print time. I'd be interested in how long it can operate before the prints delaminate.

Kitwn
15-06-2020, 01:20 PM
It's one of those "I did this because I can" projects.

I thought the video that started automatically after the one you linked to, called "5 Achs fräsen auf der Hobbymaschine leicht gemacht" about a much more substantial machine was way more interesting.

Kit

Doddy
15-06-2020, 05:03 PM
It's one of those "I did this because I can" projects.

I thought the video that started automatically after the one you linked to, called "5 Achs fräsen auf der Hobbymaschine leicht gemacht" about a much more substantial machine was way more interesting.

Kit

You're admitting to the targetted You-Tube "you might also like..." videos. My autoplay was for a AvE strip-down of a glovebox-sized chain hoist(!)

JAZZCNC
15-06-2020, 09:07 PM
Now ain't that a Dinky little thing. . . . Keeps him off the streets and spreading Covid I suppose.!.:angel::toot:

JoeHarris
16-06-2020, 08:01 AM
Haha, I bet he started printing that at the same time as I started by build log!

Mister Mills
16-06-2020, 09:16 PM
I don't mean to be sarcastic about the plastic but that took some time to print!!!!!!!!!!. Scale it up to 8x4 for the 2094 maker fest. It would be fine for a retro fitted pick and place machine but thats about it.

routercnc
17-06-2020, 09:25 PM
Actually I quite liked that ! Although towards the end I started looking at the one-piece gantry thinking that would make a nice pattern for a cast iron version !

Also, I keep meaning to get around to watching Ave's glovebox-sized chain hoist that YouTube keeps pushing my way.

cropwell
18-06-2020, 12:50 AM
Actually I quite liked that ! Although towards the end I started looking at the one-piece gantry thinking that would make a nice pattern for a cast iron version !

I have 3D printed patterns for casting using sand moulding. You have to print them 100% fill otherwise the ramming of the sand breaks them (maybe not on the first cast).

Kitwn
18-06-2020, 04:45 AM
I have 3D printed patterns for casting using sand moulding. You have to print them 100% fill otherwise the ramming of the sand breaks them (maybe not on the first cast).

Do you use the lost PLA method as per Myfordboy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVgPM1ojyLw

cropwell
18-06-2020, 03:03 PM
Do you use the lost PLA method as per Myfordboy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVgPM1ojyLw

Interesting video, but I only use ABS and that would make a hell of a stink when burning out. I only used to make the patterns and the 'customer' organised the foundrywork (Bronze casting)

Kitwn
19-06-2020, 03:07 AM
Interesting video, but I only use ABS and that would make a hell of a stink when burning out. I only used to make the patterns and the 'customer' organised the foundrywork (Bronze casting)

I've been tempted to try green-sand casting of aluminium for years but living in an area where outdoor fires are banned for most of the year I haven't risked it. Maybe when I retire to Tasmania. Which seems to be the mantra for a lot of things these days. I just watch Myfordboy's videos instead.

Doddy
19-06-2020, 08:10 AM
I've been tempted to try green-sand casting of aluminium for years but living in an area where outdoor fires are banned for most of the year I haven't risked it. Maybe when I retire to Tasmania. Which seems to be the mantra for a lot of things these days. I just watch Myfordboy's videos instead.

Just keep an eye on eBay for a second-hand electric furnace - I picked one up for £100 and just had to add a PID/thermocouple to get 0-1000C (enough for ali). I've cast a couple of billets from old cans etc, but enthusiasm for more complex casting has evaporated. I looked at oil/gas furnaces but gave up as too noisy/smelly etc.

Useful also for curing powder coating