PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: CNC mach spindle not spinning

Bernard
09-07-2020, 01:41 PM
Hi all. I'm a new member and have just purchased a Chinese CNC 6040. Managed to do a Gcode file and got it into Mach 3. All the 3 axis are working well but the spindle is not spinning. Can someone help me. I think there is something that I did wrong in the "Config" in Mach 3. I am a novice in CNC and this is my first attempt at using one. I am into wood working as a hobby and trying to make wooden clocks. I can make them doing manual cutting with scroll saw and band saw. But that is not as accurate as using a CNC machine and it takes a lot of time and effort. Thanks for any help that is offered

Kitwn
10-07-2020, 02:56 AM
Another Australian wooden clock builder! Welcome to the forum.
I got into clocks by accident after building a Heath Robinson cnc router and wanting something to test what it could do. I'd never contemplate the tedium of cutting wheels by hand.

I seem to have spent most of my time upgrading the router, making things for my wife rather than me and have only just yesterday finished my gear cutting jig which will hopefully see a finished clock appear in the coming weeks for the first time in ages.
Are you familiar with Art Fenerty's 'Gearotic' software? Well worth a look if not.

https://www.gear2motion.com/

EDIT: Can't actually help with Mach3 questions, but you'll find plenty of people here who can.

Kit

JAZZCNC
10-07-2020, 08:29 AM
Hi all. I'm a new member and have just purchased a Chinese CNC 6040. Managed to do a Gcode file and got it into Mach 3. All the 3 axis are working well but the spindle is not spinning. Can someone help me. I think there is something that I did wrong in the "Config" in Mach 3. I am a novice in CNC and this is my first attempt at using one. I am into wood working as a hobby and trying to make wooden clocks. I can make them doing manual cutting with scroll saw and band saw. But that is not as accurate as using a CNC machine and it takes a lot of time and effort. Thanks for any help that is offered

To help we need more info on your settings and what exactly you have, these Chinese machines are like eating a box of chocolates in the dark.!!
Take some screen shots of your settings and will take a look.

dazp1976
10-07-2020, 10:21 AM
Another Australian wooden clock builder! Welcome to the forum.
I seem to have spent most of my time upgrading the router, making things for my wife rather than me and have only just yesterday finished my gear cutting jig which will hopefully see a finished clock appear in the coming weeks for the first time in ages.
Are you familiar with Art Fenerty's 'Gearotic' software? Well worth a look if not.
Kit

Geriatric sftware???! :whistle: :smile:

Kitwn
10-07-2020, 12:41 PM
Geriatric sftware???! :whistle: :smile:

It's true that Art isn't as young as he was when he wrote MACH3 and brought CNC machining to the masses, but he still retains his idiosyncratic sense of humour, hence 'Gearotic' :emmersed:

Joking aside, it's an awesome piece of software if you want to make gears, gear trains with specific centre spacings, timing pulleys, sprockets, non-circular gears, Genevas, escapements and gear trains for clocks and a host of other things. It's a pay-once-get-updates-for-life license and Art has been adding all sorts of functionality to it almost as an exercise for his own (huge) ingenuity. There's an excellent forum as well. I tend to design in Gearotic and then export PDFs into CamBam for finishing and CAM processing but there is a g-code generator included if you want it.

Kit

Bernard
11-07-2020, 12:59 AM
Thanks for your advise. Much appreciated

Bernard
11-07-2020, 01:00 AM
It's true that Art isn't as young as he was when he wrote MACH3 and brought CNC machining to the masses, but he still retains his idiosyncratic sense of humour, hence 'Gearotic' :emmersed:

Joking aside, it's an awesome piece of software if you want to make gears, gear trains with specific centre spacings, timing pulleys, sprockets, non-circular gears, Genevas, escapements and gear trains for clocks and a host of other things. It's a pay-once-get-updates-for-life license and Art has been adding all sorts of functionality to it almost as an exercise for his own (huge) ingenuity. There's an excellent forum as well. I tend to design in Gearotic and then export PDFs into CamBam for finishing and CAM processing but there is a g-code generator included if you want it.

Kit

Thank you

Kitwn
11-07-2020, 06:14 AM
Bernard,
Looking forward to exchanging clock design notes with you. I've built a couple of Sextus (design by woodentimes.com) weight driven clocks but am now working on electric designs powered by a standard USB wall-wart. Here's a video of a prototype which is locked to a GPS receiver. The most accurate wooden clock ever built! Having at long last got my router up to scratch and aquired a decent stock of nice hardwoods I'm hoping to have a finished version of this soon. Quartz-locked rather than GPS to make it cheaper and do away with the trailing antenna wire. Next trick is to add a second hand.

Kit

https://vimeo.com/343781598

Bernard
11-07-2020, 01:59 PM
Thanks Kit, I am still trying to figure out how to get my cnc to work. The spindle is not spinning. All axis are moving. I'm new to cnc . Have not figured out on how to program Mach3. If I can get help it will be good
Bernard

Doddy
11-07-2020, 06:00 PM
Bernard - Jazz asked for screenshots from your Mach3 settings pages a day or so ago. This is the way forward for you.

Ports&Pins - "Output Signals" and "Spindle Setup" are the main for the spindle. Also worth asking if you already have manual control of the spindle (rotary speed control or similar) as there's an implication there on re-programming the spindle controller.

Expect at some point to be asked for a photo of the board that the PC plugs into on the CNC controller box - the reason for that question will be to try to understand the pin allocated to the spindle controller (probably 2 pins - on/off and PWM-speed control).

Of course, any text from the installation instructions may be useful - we understand these can take some interpretation from a chinese source even if someone professes to know what they're doing.

JAZZCNC
11-07-2020, 07:11 PM
Thanks Kit, I am still trying to figure out how to get my cnc to work. The spindle is not spinning. All axis are moving. I'm new to cnc . Have not figured out on how to program Mach3. If I can get help it will be good
Bernard

We can't help you if you don't give us the info we need. . . . show me what you have and I will get you working, or at least tell you if it's possible because some of these Chinese machines cannot control the spindle from the controller (mach3) . . . Like i said before they are all different.!

Bernard
13-07-2020, 07:04 AM
Hi Jazzcnc, I don't seem to be able to post pictures of my settings. My email is
[email protected]. If you send a message to me I will email you back with all the attachments and hope you can help. Thanks alot, Bernard

Kitwn
13-07-2020, 12:26 PM
Bernard,
You need to make 10 posts before you can upload pictures, it's an anti-spam precaution. Just add an encouraging post to everybody else's threads and you'll soon get there!

Kit

Bernard
13-07-2020, 01:40 PM
Thanks Kit

Doddy
13-07-2020, 06:36 PM
Extra points for replying to really old threads! :playful:

Kitwn
14-07-2020, 03:42 AM
Even I thought 'what the hell are you replying to that for?' until I remembered my own post! :excitement:

Bernard
14-07-2020, 06:05 AM
I am trying to reply to 10 posts so I can upload images as I was told

Clive S
14-07-2020, 07:52 AM
I am trying to reply to 10 posts so I can upload images as I was told

You have more than enough post now to post pictures

Bernard
14-07-2020, 08:15 AM
You are so rite Clive. I tried again this afternoon but without success.

JAZZCNC
14-07-2020, 10:08 AM
You are so rite Clive. I tried again this afternoon but without success.

What format are you trying to send.? also if the file size is too large they won't send. Better to use Jpeg and try to keep them below 2mb.

kleidja
14-07-2020, 01:24 PM
Hey
Can someone help me to learn the Cnc machine High-z S400 and the software Construcam 3D?

Bernard
14-07-2020, 02:10 PM
Thanks Jazz. Will reduce size

Bernard
15-07-2020, 08:45 AM
28574285742857528576285772857828579285802858128582 2858328584

Here are the attachments. Hope it come thru ok! Thanks

JAZZCNC
15-07-2020, 05:38 PM
Hi Bernard, Ok well, to be honest, and as expected, I've got a feeling this controller can not control the spindle speed from mach3. For Mach3 to control the spindle speed then it must have a spindle card installed or the breakout board which can provide a speed reference voltage. However to be sure we will need to look inside the controller at the boards to see what you have. So if you can take the lid off and get some good pics it will help.

However, even if it doesn't have speed reference voltage it's still possible to control the ON/OFF from Mach3 which is still very handy.

Bernard
16-07-2020, 12:04 AM
Hi Jazz, I will get some pics from the inside of the controller and post it, hopefully today. Thanks for your help, much appreciated

Bernard
16-07-2020, 04:40 AM

Hi Jazz, here are the pics of the inside of the controller. Please check to see if the spindle card is there. Don't have a clue what it looks like

As the spindle is 220v (which is stated on top of spindle), can we connect 220v direct to the spindle externally, bi-passing the control box, with a separate speed controller. I can then power the spindle before cutting, independent of Mach 3 controls of the spindle. Cheers, Bernard

Hi Jazz, more pics. Spindle is AC 220v. From pic it has four pins. Can I do what I suggested above, to by pass the controller and power the spindle with 220v AC?
The manual switch on the controller box will not power the spindle

Another picture of internal wiring to the spindle connector outside the box

Hi Jazz, here is the link to the 'User guide for CNC 3040. Hope this will help. I followed this guide.
https://www.china-cncrouter.com//downfile/2015120417282452561.pdf

Steven ZHOU
16-07-2020, 06:53 AM
Bernard

Why not take a look at the instruction of machine or contact with the manufacturer for help since each type of machine has its own characteristics.
Wish it works.
Pintuu

Clive S
16-07-2020, 07:31 AM
Edit: Deleted just noticed the VFD control on the front

Doddy
16-07-2020, 07:51 AM
As the spindle is 220v (which is stated on top of spindle), can we connect 220v direct to the spindle externally, bi-passing the control box, with a separate speed controller. I can then power the spindle before cutting, independent of Mach 3 controls of the spindle. Cheers, Bernard

Bernard, for this limited control - you should have this already - the front panel "Spindle Mode" positioned to Manual, then use the 'RUN' and rotary control on the front panel to control speed. Are you suggesting that this doesn't work?

Re. connecting the spindle to 220VAC directly, or through a speed controller - it's *probably* a three-phase spindle and so you need a 3-phase inverter with variable frequency drive give variable speed. If you follow the ribbon from the front panel control on the white box to a larger control board in the enclosure that will be the integral 3 phase inverter - so you already have this.

The board at the top...

I'd ask first of all if you can get the manual control to work - just so that we know where we're starting from.

Bernard
16-07-2020, 08:49 AM
Hi Doddy, Tried the manual toggle but somehow it does not work. Used a multimeter and checked the spindle coils. They seem to be ok

JAZZCNC
16-07-2020, 11:04 AM
Hi Bernard, the spindle is a 220v 3 phase spindle and the board is a very basic VFD which converts 220v single phase to 220v 3 phase and allows speed control.
I was under the impression that it worked in manual mode but you wanted to control it using mach3. This changes things slightly because obviously if it doesn't work in manual mode it suggests some thing is wrong and therefore won't work under mach3 control even if it was possible.

So first we need to get it working in manual mode, however this could be easier said than done because it's most likely a parameter setting and without the manual then we are just guessing in the dark. If you have the manual then Zip it up and post or give us a link to it if online.
It could be the switch or a wrong connection so please take pictures of the terminals on the control board so we can see what wires are used. This will also confirm if Mach3 can control it.!

Also take pictures of the other 2 boards but concentrate on wiring and terminals. Try to take the pics so they show the terminals and where they lead, we don't need close up pictures just showing where they lead to and any markings on connectors etc.

cropwell
16-07-2020, 11:20 AM
You could always use Dropbox for large files.

Bernard
16-07-2020, 11:37 AM
Hi Jazz, here is the link to the 'User guide for CNC 3040. Hope this will help. I followed this guide.

Bernard
16-07-2020, 11:39 AM

JAZZCNC
16-07-2020, 12:01 PM

Why would you use that when it's clearly a completely different control box to what you have.? Just because it's called 3040 doesn't mean they are all the same.!
You need the relevant docs to the control box you have. In any case that type of document wouldn't be any use for checking the VFD parameters or setting it up.

I can't help if you haven't got the Docs because it's not something that can be guessed at.!

Bernard
16-07-2020, 02:30 PM
I don't know. this was given to me with the purchase. I will have to revert to them. Thanks

dazp1976
16-07-2020, 02:52 PM
Trawl through this thread and see if there's anything of use.
Has the same control box.

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/chinese-machines/320698-cnc.html

Doddy
16-07-2020, 05:59 PM
Bernard,

The number on the front of the controller display on the main front panel - PRT-E1500 is your search term to find out more on the spindle-controller and set-up instructions. It's not a device I've experience of so I'll butt-out of here, but hopefully someone can offer some useful advice. You might want to source a pdf of the controller manual and find out how to read the program parameters (I wouldn't change any... just yet, but find your way around the interface and read about how the front-panel controls are expected to work). All knowledge is good.

cropwell
17-07-2020, 12:25 AM
Found this if it helps:

https://madexp.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/PRT-E1500W-.pdf

Copy and paste version...

PRT-E1500W VFD SETTINGS for
CNC3020/CNC6040
"I finally figured out the VFD and Mach3 software settings for my 1.5 kW,
110Vac, 400Hz Spindle with the PRT-E1500W VFD in order to run the spindle either
in manual mode or with PWM control through the PC. Here's the procedure I used.
(Note I didn't change the 220V setting to 110V in the VFD since there isn't a
mechanism for generating higher voltage than the VFD supply and it doesn't
appear to be necessary, but this should be vetted by another party
(CHIMERA1960?) prior to long duration running).
1) Reset the VFD to factory settings
a) Set D001 to 1 (may be able to skip this step)
b) Set D176 to 1 and press Func (this resets VFD to factory settings)
2) Reset the VFD to 400Hz max operating frequency rather than the 50Hz default:
a) Set D002 to 400 (need to set this before D000)
b) Set D000 to 400
c) Set D003 to 400
d) Set D009 to 400
e) Set D021 to 400
f) Set D093 to 400
3) Set VFD to receive input frequency setting for spindle throttle control from
the AVI terminal:
a) Set D031 to 1
4) OPTIONAL but I would recommend for additional debug/safety reasons: Set VFD
to allow manual spindle "stop" from terminal even when running from PC
5) OPTIONAL: Set AVI terminal to readout spindle rpm instead of VFD frequency:
a) Set D039 to 1
6) To run the spindle manually with variable speed directly from the AVI
terminal:
a) Set D032 to 0
b) Make sure switch next to AVI terminal is set to "Manually"
b) Use AVI "Pot Dial" to set spindle rpm
c) Use AVI "Run" to start spindle
d) Use AVI "Stop" to stop spindle or turn down Pot Dial to 0
7) To run the spindle from the PC (note the PWM signal from Mach3 adjusts the
setting of the AVI terminal as if it were the VFD Pot. The PWM signal is NOT
going directly to the spindle motor):
a) Make sure you have the right Port/Pin settings in Mach3 (see example
settings below)
b) Set D032 to 1
c) Make sure switch next to PRT is set to "PC"
d) Very important: On Mach3 User Panel, make sure you select and input the max
spindle speed (i.e. 24000).
e) Select the actual spindle speed by adjusting up/down arrows or dragging the
column up/down for relative speed setting changes.
f) Use "Spindle CW F5" button or "F5" to toggle turning the spindle on/of
Mach3 software settings that work for my spindle and wiring configuration (if
you have an issue with the X,Y,Z position controller settings let me know, but I
think most don't have this issue):
A) Ports/Pins
1) Port Setup and Axis Selection
i) Port #1 Enabled
ii) Kernel Speed Set to 35000 Hz (this worked for my 2.9 GHz desktop
controller, but you may need to use the lower 25000 Hz setting for slower
machines)
2) Motor Outputs
i) Spindle Enabled = Active
ii) Spindle Step Pin# = 1
iii) Spindle Dir Pin# = 0
iv) Dir LowActive = Active
v) Step Low Active = Active
vi) Spindle Step Port = 1
vii) Dir Port = 0
3) Input Signals
i) EStop Enabled = Active
ii) EStop Port = 1
iii) EStop Pin Number = 10
iv) EStop Active Low = Active
v) EStop Emulated = Inactive
4) Output Signals
i) Enable1 Enabled = Active
ii) Enable1 Port# = 1
iii) Enable1 Pin Number = 14
iv) Enable1 Active Low = Active or Inactive
iv) Output#1 Enabled = Active
v) Output#1 Port# = 1
vi) Output#1 Pin Number = 17 (this should NOT be the Motor Output Step Pin
(e.g. Pin #1 in my configuration) as may be indicated in some of the user
manuals)
vii) Output#1 Active Low = Inactive (important to make sure Spindle is On when
Mach3 Toggle Switch is on. May need to change this setting if switch appears to
be operating backwards)
5) Spindle Setup
i) Select "Use Spindle Motor Output"
ii) Select "PWM Control"
iii) Input "PWMBase Freq." (I used 421)
iv) Input "Minimum PWM" ( I used 0%)
B) Pulley Selection
i) Pulley Number 4
ii) Min Speed = 0
iii) Max Speed = 24000
iv) Ratio = 1
Good luck! Hope this helps!"

Bernard
17-07-2020, 01:38 AM
Thanks alot. will certainly try these setting and hope it works for me. Cheers

AndyGuid
17-07-2020, 06:35 AM
Thanks Guys!

It's quite easy to have down moments in the current crazy sliver of humanity's history, but just seeing the wonderful response from multiple forum members all trying to help solve Bernard's dilemma has helped restore my faith in humanity! :applause:

And I've no doubt you will also ultimately help put Bernard onto the right track. :victorious:

Cheers, Andy

Doddy
17-07-2020, 07:15 AM
Bernard - just a cautionary note - I'd personally review the controller settings before following the instructions to configure - one of the first program settings resets the controller to factory - so you would lose any pre-configuration by the OEM. Perhaps review the settings and get them copied down somewhere useful. The post from Cropwell - I'd seen it earlier but was a bit nervous of the reference to 110V operation - so proceed with care.

cropwell
17-07-2020, 08:27 PM
The post from Cropwell - I'd seen it earlier but was a bit nervous of the reference to 110V operation - so proceed with care.

I share your apprehension. I don't know how VFD specific the parameter settings are. I know that some manufacturers deliberately go against de-facto standards (in other areas of electronics). I would recommend trawling through the settings to note down what the OEM set them to and compare with the list I found.