PDA

View Full Version : someone please help

johngoodrich
15-08-2020, 04:21 PM
I recently had to get a new laptop and now my machine wont work. I am running mach 3 with a uc300eth motion controller and a cheap 5 axis breakout board.
I have setup mach exactly as i had it as before using the xml file from previous install and i cant get any motion to the motors. Mach dro's move but not the motors.
I have checked the connection to the uc300 and that is fine. i have power and communication. mach loads the uc300 plugin fine and the output test app works and registers the outputs.
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling mach and tried a new profile but to no avail.
the estop is working, spindle relay comes on but does nothing and tool probe and limits work fine.

i have absolutely no idea whats gone wrong so if someone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Doddy
15-08-2020, 05:00 PM
To clarify?...

Hardware-wise, nothing has changed, apart from the new laptop?

UC300ETH's interface to the BoB is unchanged? Power Supplies are unchanged?, Stepper Drivers unchanged?

EStop is connected through BoB input, through UC300ETH then over ethernet to Laptop? That works!

If the ESTOP works then the comms with the UC300ETH is working. I'd be looking carefully at the Mach3 settings, possibly at the port number (rather than pin number) of the axis drives.

johngoodrich
15-08-2020, 05:11 PM
Yep thats right. I have just found that the motors are not locking with mach 3 on if that gives any clues

Doddy
15-08-2020, 05:29 PM
Everthing you say points to a software configuration issue - I know nothing about running a UC300ETH with Mach3 (the reason I bought my UC300ETH was to run away from Mach3). A quick look at the plugin for Mach3 shows the usual UC300ETH pin mappings - so I guess the plugin would normally save a configuration file somewhere within the Mach3 set-up. That would be my first port of call, but I expect you've looked at that already??

Other than that - I have no experience of a UC controller with Mach3 so will withdraw from this thread.

JAZZCNC
15-08-2020, 05:51 PM
Yep thats right. I have just found that the motors are not locking with mach 3 on if that gives any clues

That suggests the drives are not turning on. do you have the enable signal connected on the drives.? If yes then remove these and see if they lock up. If they do then you have the wrong wrong pins set for the enable outputs or the active Hi/Lo is wrong.

Other than controlling the enable outputs if used then Mach3 as nothing to do with the drives turning on.

johngoodrich
15-08-2020, 05:58 PM
Hi Dean. Sorted it now. It turn out that the 24v input was not being converted to 5v for the enable signal. Add ed a separate 5v supply to the board which gave me the right voltage for enables to work. Very strange this happened though as it worked fine before with only the 24v

JAZZCNC
15-08-2020, 06:03 PM
Hi Dean. Sorted it now. It turn out that the 24v input was not being converted to 5v for the enable signal. Add ed a separate 5v supply to the board which gave me the right voltage for enables to work. Very strange this happened though as it worked fine before with only the 24v

You shouldn't need to covert anything to 5v for the enables to work, most enables will work with 24v and often that's what used.

johngoodrich
15-08-2020, 06:10 PM
I know, obviously something gone wrong with the bob, as it shouldn't need two power supplies