PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: Total Newbie from Leeds

AlanJ
22-08-2020, 08:28 AM
Hi, My name is Alan from Leeds.

I retired a few years ago from my IT career and have since got back into my childhood hobby of electronics and computing. I have started to produce lighting features and electronic clocks using up-cycled items, materials and parts. For the things I make I need face plates and cases making, so interested in learning about machines that can cut and etch various materials, acrylic, traffolyte, engraving plastic, maybe even aluminium etc.

I am also interested in getting work made by others who have the machinery and expertise. I have a pal who has a nice big laser capable of doing all the acrylic stuff, but he doesn't have a rotary cnc, so no good for the metal, etc.

I am also interested to hear of people's experiences of the cheap Chinese machines for a few hundred quid.

Oh and finally - I am also into pinball, got 13 machines at home, ranging from 1970's electro mechanical, 80's solid state, 90's Classic era Dot Matrix Display machines and modern LCD machines too.

Kitwn
23-08-2020, 02:32 AM
Welcome Alan,
Sounds like you have enough interests to keep boredom at bay. You'll be in good company here.

Kit

MartinS
23-08-2020, 11:38 PM
Hi Alan

and welcome from another Leeds lad (Guiseley actually, just down the road from the original Harry Ramsdens fish and chip shop - as was:crushed:)

Read past posts and you will learn much from the experiences of others here, they are most helpful.

I've been planning a DIY CNC router build for years....must do it!

I'll watch out for your posts

Martin

AlanJ
24-08-2020, 07:56 AM
hi Martin. i’m nearby in Rawdon. lmk when you get started! would be interested to see your progress