PDA

View Full Version : CONVERSION: Meggitt meggamite 160 / avm mas165s

jonnydeen
30-08-2020, 09:54 PM
Ever come across an opportunity thats just too good to pass up? well thats how this story starts.
Certainly couldn't let this 35 year old italian lady go without a home. that and its a decent step up from the Boxford MT2 its replacing.

so without further ado
let me introduce to you to the newest member of the family

1985 AVM MAS165S CNC

this machine spent most the majority of its life tethered to a fanuc 3t control and came to me freed from the servitude of mount fuji.
servos, gone
drives, gone
control, gone
hydraulics, gone
spindle motor, gone
spindle drive, gone

the previous owner bought this machine solely as spares for another fanuc machine and wasn't interested in keeping the mechanicals so this suited me perfect.

on the up side...
its in remarkably good nick for a 35 year old cnc lathe.
its fitted with a baruffaldi RH150, 6 position turret.
173e collet chuck and autoblok hydraulic drawbar actuator

so let the fun and games begin

Doddy
31-08-2020, 07:52 AM
That's what an estate agent would call "A unique fix-up opportunity" :thumsup:

To be honest it's probably a good starting point - but I guess you've come to that conclusion yourself.

I bet you took the corners slow on the way home!

jonnydeen
31-08-2020, 09:15 AM
That's what an estate agent would call "A unique fix-up opportunity" :thumsup:

To be honest it's probably a good starting point - but I guess you've come to that conclusion yourself.

I bet you took the corners slow on the way home!

well ive never seen a lathe this age with straight original way covers, they are in excellent condition.
that and the paintwork inside the enclosure is mostly intact. this machine must have spent the vast majority its life in hibernation.
lucky enough it was mostly motorway/dual carriageway the whole way so was plain sailing. just took it easy.

jonnydeen
31-08-2020, 11:07 AM
im stuck between centroid acorn & centroid 12 and mesa 7i98 & linuxcnc for control. the biggest sticking point for me is driving the turret.
i know from reading up on linuxcnc that i could (with some difficulty) write a custom hal component to drive the turret. really not sure what centroid requires. suppose its a macro akin to mach3?
think i would prefer centroid for its conversational aspect. otherwise i wouldn't consider it
anyway.... here is the point of contention

anyone using centroid with a turret like this? anyone using turrets like this with any other softwares?