PDA

View Full Version : Dust extractor noise!

andy_con
21-09-2020, 10:23 PM
I currently have this, more suction than a hooker. Does exact what it's supposed to do, just very loudly!

It's like a fooking jet engine, I'm sure my neighbours hate it. Book says 80db

Are there any quiter options?

ngwagwa
22-09-2020, 08:07 AM
I have mine in the room next door with the 4inch suction pipe going to the wall and a smaller pipe on the other side. It helps keep the volume down except the occasions where I am working in the room where the extractor is but it is only used in short bursts there.

Voicecoil
22-09-2020, 11:45 AM
If you can find an industrial one that uses a side channel pump rather than the usual howling high speed series wound motor it will be a lot quieter. And unless you get lucky with a preowned one, a lot more expensive :whistle:

m_c
22-09-2020, 05:33 PM
Dust extractors are noisy, just some more than others.

Best option is box it off and soundproof it with suitable vents directed to where they'll cause the least annoyance.

Kitwn
23-09-2020, 12:44 AM
I was worried about noise upsetting the neighbours so I'm moving 5000Km to a new shed in the middle of 2 acres. Might not be an option for everyone though.

NB70
23-09-2020, 08:36 AM
You could try a fan/duct silencer on the exhaust pipe of your dust extractor.
This type of thing: https://www.justfans.co.uk/silencers-c-35.html

Kitwn
23-09-2020, 10:10 AM
More seriously:

When I was looking for ways to soundproof my extractor I did some Googling and found this video on YouTube. I've just managed to find it again. If you don't want to spend the time watching it, the conclusion is that layers of ordinary towels fixed to wooden frames proved surprisingly better at soundproofing ( the authors video-making studio in practice) than genuine acoustic foam. I haven't actually followed up on this so cannot confirm his results but it looks fairly convincing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pABvTWSxOes&pp=QAA%3D

Voicecoil
23-09-2020, 09:37 PM
More seriously:

When I was looking for ways to soundproof my extractor I did some Googling and found this video on YouTube. I've just managed to find it again. If you don't want to spend the time watching it, the conclusion is that layers of ordinary towels fixed to wooden frames proved surprisingly better at soundproofing ( the authors video-making studio in practice) than genuine acoustic foam. I haven't actually followed up on this so cannot confirm his results but it looks fairly convincing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pABvTWSxOes&pp=QAA%3D

It'll depend a lot on what sort of foam, and how it's mounted; it always tends to work better with an air gap behind it. And also on the character (frequency spectrum) of the noise. If I was trying to silence something like an extractor I'd put it in a rigid box with the input hose coming through a sealed entrance and the output air having to take a zig-zag path through staggered baffles covered in good acoustic foam or Rockwool depending on the character of the noise.