PDA

View Full Version : Reaming 6mm hole on router

jordiboronat
29-09-2020, 04:12 PM
Hi all,

Been thinking on making a fixture plate with threads and holes for dowel pins for the router.

Would love to use 6mm dowel pins for aligning/fixture and wondering if this con be done by the router itself. I´ve got a 2.2Kw spindle, would a 5.9mm drill and a caribe reamer like this suit the process? How would you go about making this?

Thanks in advance,

Jordi

ngwagwa
29-09-2020, 06:19 PM
Hi all,

Been thinking on making a fixture plate with threads and holes for dowel pins for the router.

Would love to use 6mm dowel pins for aligning/fixture and wondering if this con be done by the router itself. I´ve got a 2.2Kw spindle, would a 5.9mm drill and a caribe reamer like this suit the process? How would you go about making this?

Thanks in advance,

Jordi

I would have thought the RPM too fast for a reamer.. Could you not drill therough both pieces in situ and hand ream?

jordiboronat
30-09-2020, 07:48 AM
Ideally I would like to have an array of threads and holes hence the plan to use the cnc.

Boosting the torque on the VDF I´m able to drill given I stick to small diameters. My thoughts are that maybe by using a short carbide reamer this can be done on a chinese spindle, but would be great to hear if someone has done it already.

Anyone has experience on this?

ngwagwa
30-09-2020, 08:40 AM
In that case drill a series of holes in piece of scrap then machine each one a slightly larger diameter (4.000, 4.001, 4.002) with a 4mm end mill. Then see which hole has the best fit with the pin and machine your plate that diamater.