PDA

View Full Version : Noisy spindle

Edendale
16-10-2020, 04:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7gHmb4pyKM&feature=share
Think I may have damaged my 2.2kw water cooled spindle, while cutting a profile I didn’t have the bit deep enough and the collet nut rubbed on the wood and got very hot, it is now making a horrible noise, not sure if it can be fixed or should I order a new spindle, your advice would be appreciated, Thankyou mike

Doddy
16-10-2020, 08:33 PM
I've not experienced this problem, nor can I say with any certainty, so take this with a good pinch of salt, but if you've roasted the bearings then it's a great opportunity to strip down the spindle to replace the bearings and learn a fair bit from the experience. What have you to lose?

ngwagwa
16-10-2020, 09:19 PM
Coincidentally my 2.2kw spindle has started making noises. After 18 months of use (sometimes for 48 hours continuously) there is an occasional little rattling sound when the spindle starts. Replacement ordered but will run it as is for now.

Edendale
18-10-2020, 10:42 AM
Well thought I’d better order a new spindle just in case this one stopped altogether, as soon as I’d ordered it the spindle stopped making the noise, think it maybe mocking me.