PDA

View Full Version : Denford Starmill

Manny
14-12-2020, 12:46 AM
Hi I'm picking up a Denford starmill pc on Friday that has been converted to Mach 3 and wondered if the mill can tap threads ?

Thanks in advance

depronman
14-12-2020, 01:18 AM
There is no speed encoder on the star mill so unless one has been fitted it’s no

I’m also sceptical that mach3 can do this as I could never get mach3 to cut a thread on a lathe. The problem is mach3 only takes a single pulse per rev from the spindle which is simply not good enough to sync the z and the spindle for tapping
You could use a tapping head but I thing you will struggle with z travel

Fit an encoder disc and optical sensor then dump mach3 and replace with linuxcnc. That will certainly do rigid taping

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manny
14-12-2020, 03:48 PM
HI Thanks for this, I'm pretty new to CNC The chap i picking up from has said it has a spindle hall effect sensor for PID RPM Control. Does that help considering I can control the speed ?

Clive S
14-12-2020, 04:15 PM
HI Thanks for this, I'm pretty new to CNC The chap i picking up from has said it has a spindle hall effect sensor for PID RPM Control. Does that help considering I can control the speed ?

You won't be able to ridged tap with a one pulse ie Z encoder you will need A and B as well. You might get away with thread milling .

I think with just 1 pulse you could thread on a lathe but not tap.

Manny
14-12-2020, 04:17 PM
Thanks I did notice as part of the unit it comes with a 1x Ozak Spring Loaded Tap Holder :)

Clive S
14-12-2020, 04:25 PM
Thanks I did notice as part of the unit it comes with a 1x Ozak Spring Loaded Tap Holder :)

Yes. That should work. But blind holes might be a problem

Manny
14-12-2020, 04:26 PM
Awesome thanks for your advice :)