PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: New Member & Build

333-CNC
03-02-2021, 11:09 PM
Hello all, thought it was time to introduce myself and my CNC intentions. Last year I came across the 3d printed cnc router and thought I needed to build one so, after a little research I found myself wanting to build a much bigger, stronger and capable CNC router. I started designing last year and after researching this site I managed to come up with an idea of what I would like. I am hoping to have some constructive criticism from other members on my design. I also done the rookie error of purchasing certain parts that may be incorrect, but will right my wrongs at my expense! So a little background;

Machine intentions are to be able to comfortably machine soft & hard woods and ideally aluminium.
Machine size;
Gantry - 1700 mm with 1500 mm rails mounted to 80160 HD aluminium extrusion.
Z axis rails 400 mm with approx 175 mm travel
Y axis rails - 1500 mm
This gives a working area of (Y)1200 x 1300(X) allowing to use 4x4 ply or even 8x4 supported off the table, if this makes sense?
My design work is all done on Solidworks 2020.

Parts purchased;
2.2 Kw water cooled Spindle (Gpenny).
20mm square linear rails with bearings.
1605 ball screws for all axis (Concerned these may be incorrect for build).
Nema 23 steppers - 3Nm 4.2A - 23HS45-3504S.
Stepper drivers DM542T.

Below is a snip of the work so far;

It is work in progress but thought I would post before purchasing and designing anything else.
Thanks for reading and look forward to opinions

Regards

Rob

AndyGuid
02-03-2021, 03:48 AM
G'Day Rob,

Although this post of yours is 3 weeks old, I've only just noticed it because you've linked to it in a new post today. For a while now I've been thinking that the software that runs the forum occasionally lets posts fall through the cracks and doesn't include them in the "trending-now" list which I think most of us regulars follow, and I guess that's why you've not had any response yet. Also New-Member-Introductions doesn't attract that many views.

It would be worthwhile for you to create a new (Llanelli Rob Router Build) thread for yourself under Home>MACHINES>Gantry/Router-Machines-&-Building>DIY-Router-Build Logs and keep all your queries in the one thread.

If I was you I'd start your thread by copying in http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/14348-New-Member-Build?p=123131#post123131 followed by a second post of http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/14421-Ball-screw-advice?p=123694#post123694.

That would get you back on the straight and narrow, and people could answer your technical queries in the one thread.

Welcome to the forum from downunder by the way!

Andy

333-CNC
02-03-2021, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the reply Andy, and the advice on a build thread, I will take this on board and sort it out as this site seems to have a good knowledge base and helpful members.

Thanks again.

Rob