PDA

View Full Version : How to home the slave sensor?

Laszlo
02-05-2021, 08:35 PM
Greetings from Denmark.
Hi every one.
I have recently finished my cnc router and could use some help.
Have not been able to home my gantry automatically.
I am running with MACH 3 and NVUM V2 usb interface.
All 3 axes have their own home sensor and in addition the slave also has. Has two steppers on Y axis. (A as a slave). Everything moves perfectly and home everyone works too. First Z, then Y and finally X. The problem is that the system does not look at A home sensor. I have manually moved A axis about 10 mm further away from home, but when I try to home Y then the gantry does not straighten so it is at a perfect 90 * angle.
In the diagnostics screen I can see all 4 home sensors separately.
What am I doing wrong?

Kind regards Laszlo

ZASto
03-05-2021, 08:54 AM
You are doing nothing wrong, you just have wrong controller.
AFAIK NVUM/NVEM controllers don't support squaring with slaved axis.
Get rid of that controller and buy a decent one like ESS.

JAZZCNC
03-05-2021, 02:40 PM
I have never used this controller but most other controllers you would need to set the home switch input for A and Y-axis even though you are slaving them, have you done this.?

JAZZCNC
03-05-2021, 02:44 PM

Or better still one that uses UCCNC software like the AXBB-E or UC300 so you're not stuck with ancient mach3 or buggy mach4, plus you'll get decent technical support which you won't with an ESS.!

Laszlo
03-05-2021, 04:30 PM
Thank you so much!! i will check ESS out!

Laszlo
03-05-2021, 04:32 PM
Hi
Yes i did but the system only react to the Y and not the A sensor.

Laszlo
03-05-2021, 04:36 PM
You are doing nothing wrong, you just have wrong controller.
AFAIK NVUM/NVEM controllers don't support squaring with slaved axis.

Could you please guide me where i can find that controller in Europe?
Thanks

JAZZCNC
03-05-2021, 07:04 PM
Thank you so much!! i will check ESS out!

Would be a mistake, the UCCNC and AXBB-E or UC300 from here knock the spots off the ESS and Mach3/4. Much easier to set up and far better software, also cheaper.

http://cncdrive.com/UC300.html
http://cncdrive.com/AXBB.html
http://cncdrive.com/UCCNC.html

http://www.shop.cncdrive.com/index.php?categoryID=174

Laszlo
03-05-2021, 09:03 PM
Thank You!
I have to use Mach 3 because my "teacher" has the same program.
I'm a beginner!
Which of the two controllers is best for Mach 3?

Sincerely, Laszlo

Sincerely, Laszlo

JAZZCNC
03-05-2021, 10:53 PM
Thank You!
I have to use Mach 3 because my "teacher" has the same program.
I'm a beginner!
Which of the two controllers is best for Mach 3?

Sincerely, Laszlo

Sincerely, Laszlo

Both the controllers I linked to can use both Mach3/4 or UCCNC software. The ESS can only use mach3 or 4.

UCCNC works just like mach3 but is much more stable and doesn't crash or do crazy things as mach3 does. Mach4 is full of bugs and I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.
I have used mach3 for nearly 20yrs and I can tell you with 100% guarantee that UCCNC is far far superior. The controllers are also better than the ESS and the support is second to none unlike that of Warp9 who makes the ESS.

Laszlo
04-05-2021, 05:00 AM
Great thanks!
I checked out and found this “combo” at there website:
UC300ETH-5LPT + UCSB breakout board + 1xIDC26-IDC26 cables + free UCCNC license key
Is this what I need to run my machine with mach3?

Thanks again

ZASto
04-05-2021, 01:19 PM
Or better still one that uses UCCNC software like the AXBB-E or UC300 so you're not stuck with ancient mach3 or buggy mach4, plus you'll get decent technical support which you won't with an ESS.!

Anything against the ancients?
I'm dinosaur too :cool: (running Win XP, Mach3 on LPT)

JAZZCNC
04-05-2021, 07:19 PM
Great thanks!
I checked out and found this “combo” at there website:
UC300ETH-5LPT + UCSB breakout board + 1xIDC26-IDC26 cables + free UCCNC license key
Is this what I need to run my machine with mach3?

Thanks again

With this combo you can run both Mach3 and UCCNC as it comes with a license file for UCCNC, however, you will still need a license for Mach3.

I'd like to explain something that you might not be aware of.? The controller software ie: UCCNC or Mach3 or any other control software for that matter all do the same job really. They just follow the instructions given to it by the G-code, so after you have learned what buttons do what you can pretty much use any of them.

Many new users misunderstand control software like Mach3 and believe it's much more complicated than it really is.!
Yes, it's a very powerful program with lots of buttons and settings so it can appear complicated to a new user but after the machine is set up regards inputs and outputs, etc which is mostly done by the machine builder, then the actual use of the software to cut parts is very simple and almost identical in the other control software.

Now, where UCCNC wins is that it's very stable software, meaning it has very few bugs if any at all, Sadly this cannot be said for Mach3 which is very buggy and it certainly can't be said for mach4 which is so full of bugs it shouldn't even be on sale IMO.!
UCCNC also performs much better so gives much smoother cutting because of its more modern and enhanced programming which can use the power of modern PCs, Mach3 was programmed in the dark ages and has gone thru many many changes which is why it's so buggy.

I have used Mach3 for the best part of 20yrs and know it inside out but now I use UCCNC on my own machine and not just the ones I build and sell.

JAZZCNC
04-05-2021, 07:35 PM
Anything against the ancients?
I'm dinosaur too :cool: (running Win XP, Mach3 on LPT)

Nope, I too until about a week ago I run Mach3 on XP, all be it on Cslabs IP-S controller on my own machine. But I've been fitting UCCNC with AXBB-E or UC300 on machines I build for over a year now and it's blown me away how good it is. So when Mach3 crashed and wrecked a £150 job and £40 tool it was the last straw and I ripped it out.

UCCNC never does anything unexpected, never crashes for no reason, Feed hold works as it should and stops instantly, etc I could write a long list but won't other than to say if you ever consider changing then don't hesitate to go with UCCNC because I resisted for years but now realise I should have done it years ago rather than struggle being loyal to mach3.

Laszlo
04-05-2021, 09:04 PM
I really appreciate all the help I have received so far.

Sincerely, Laszlo