PDA

View Full Version : Using a JMC iHSV57-30-18-36-21-38 servo for z axis without a brake ?

the great waldo
22-05-2021, 07:18 PM
Hello All
Has anyone used one of the JMC iHSV57-30-18-36-21-38 180watt servo motors on a Z axis ball screw (with a standard 2.2kw spindle motor) or similar without a brake fitted. I was wondering if the weight of the spindle motor would be enough to turn the ball screw and drop the motor down to the work table and cause damage to any bits in the spindle collet when the system is powered down?

Cheers
Andrew

JAZZCNC
22-05-2021, 07:43 PM
Hello All
Has anyone used one of the JMC iHSV57-30-18-36-21-38 180watt servo motors on a Z axis ball screw (with a standard 2.2kw spindle motor) or similar without a brake fitted. I was wondering if the weight of the spindle motor would be enough to turn the ball screw and drop the motor down to the work table and cause damage to any bits in the spindle collet when the system is powered down?

Cheers
Andrew

I've not used that motor but I've fit similar servos with 2.2Kw spindles and because they don't have detents like steppers they do allow the Z-axis to drop easier. Obviously, this depends on other factors like the type of linear rails and alignment, etc, but if all is good then yes I would expect that it will drop with a 2.2Kw.

the great waldo
22-05-2021, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the reply Jazz, maybe someone on the forum has tried one of these servos on a Z axis could chip in with their experiences.
Cheers
Andrew