PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy cnc kits

reefy86
08-06-2021, 06:49 PM
There is a cnc kit called the avid cnc 4x8 Pro 4896 that comes with everything to get started but it's based in America. Does anyone know if anything similar is in the UK at all?

Thank you

JAZZCNC
08-06-2021, 10:50 PM
There is a cnc kit called the avid cnc 4x8 Pro 4896 that comes with everything to get started but it's based in America. Does anyone know if anything similar is in the UK at all?

Thank you

I don't know of anything in UK but let me just say that when you start going up in size to 8x4 things change in terms of cost's and you won't get anything worth a toss with your £4k budget you mentioned in the other thread. The Avid machine is nearly $6k and that's just a mechanical kit for the frame which doesn't include any electronics or spindle and it doesn't matter if in UK or US you'll need best part of another £1k for decent electrics and spindle.

The only way you have half a chance to get an 8x4 with £4k or even £6k if it's to be worth the effort is to DIY build. However, I'd advise caution here unless you have built a machine before and know the pitfalls, etc because when you start going up in size past 4x4 things change completely.
It's a common mistake people make to think that it can't be much more difficult to build a large machine than a small or medium-sized machine but trust me it's very much more difficult and also expensive as components need to scale up to suit.

My advice as always is to do the research and ask before spending a penny.