PDA

View Full Version : Missing information for Mach3 settings

regpye
09-07-2021, 07:20 AM
My Mach3 5 axis controller board came today and although there was a lot of documentation supplied with it, there was not enough to setup the board properly.
All the stepper motor settings are shown as 0 for all the steps pins and all the dir pins. I know that is not right, but how do I determine which are the correct settings? Can anyone help me with this?

Board name is JDSW51B

Doddy
09-07-2021, 07:38 AM
I don't know your board, but a Chinese NVEM controller specifies in the manual that the X/Y/Z/A/B/C ports are hard-coded in the driver and you don't need to specify them in Mach3 (defaults to port/pin 1/0). Try it and see.

Doddy
09-07-2021, 07:56 AM
First google hit I found on that board number confirms the above.

https://www.duxe.ru/upload/iblock/400/400e9f9b7c1b71ee41f88ec4d2421927.pdf

regpye
09-07-2021, 08:23 AM
OK, thanks guys, I will cross my fingers and give t a try

JAZZCNC
09-07-2021, 02:34 PM
I don't know your board, but a Chinese NVEM controller specifies in the manual that the X/Y/Z/A/B/C ports are hard-coded in the driver and you don't need to specify them in Mach3 (defaults to port/pin 1/0). Try it and see.

Doddy, where are you getting that he's using an NVEM controller from.? That picture is of a standard BOB.!

Regpye, this link is a better manual and may help, if you don't understand it just say so, and will talk you throw it.

https://www.steppermotorcanada.ca/bl5breakoutboard.pdf

Doddy
09-07-2021, 03:09 PM
Thanks jazz, read page 5 of the link you provided, same as the link I provided from the Russian site to back off the analogy i first posted. My first post clearly started the info from the different card and was what I had to hand at the time.

My recommendation remains, try it as is, the provided driver software hard codes the output mapping

JAZZCNC
09-07-2021, 06:44 PM
My recommendation remains, try it as is, the provided driver software hard codes the output mapping

That's my point it's just a standard BOB, not a motion controller like the NVEM so the MOTOR OUTPUTS will need to be set up. Not having a pop just wondered how you thought it was a NVEM or motion controller.?

A note for REGPYE: You will also need to apply 12-24V for the inputs and outputs to work, it basically power the optos. See Diagram on page 2, just above the inputs you have 12-24v connectors.

ZASto
09-07-2021, 08:00 PM
Hi JAZZCNC
Friday? Pub?
Mach3 knows nothing about USB, so definitely the board is an motion controller.
On the picture:
http://www.mycncuk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30198&d=1625811440&thumb=1
is clearly visible a micro controller (no matter which type but looks as some STM32Fxxxx).
So, motion controller with BOB :)

JAZZCNC
09-07-2021, 09:10 PM
Hi JAZZCNC
Friday? Pub?
Mach3 knows nothing about USB, so definitely the board is an motion controller.
On the picture:
http://www.mycncuk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30198&d=1625811440&thumb=1
is clearly visible a micro controller (no matter which type but looks as some STM32Fxxxx).
So, motion controller with BOB :)

Hi ZASto, No not the pub but I am not myself today, poorly sick and dying from food poisoning, ate some dodgy fish I think..:frog:

To be honest I didn't look that close to see it only had USB and no PP. I don't use BOB's these days and most I've seen like this have a USB port so just assumed it was standard BOB,!! , , , , You know that they say about assumptions being the mother of all FKUP's ...:cower:

regpye
09-07-2021, 10:08 PM
Thanks Jazz, that manual has a bit more info than mine.

I will test out the system later today when I get dressed, it is 5am here in Australia and cold too.
The project I am working on is a plasma cutter that has a standalone THC with a DC motor, so I only need to use X and Y axis with Mach3.
Because the table is wide, I will be using two stepper motors and will need to slave Y and A together. I might have some homing and limit issues to deal with later.
I have already changed the Ref All Home button to allow homing of only the X and Y
DoButton( 22)
RefCombination( 10 )
I guess I will find out if it works for real later, it works on the screen OK.
The THC has a DC motor and is fully automatic, but I will still need to lift and lower when setting a job up, so I will use real push buttons to do that. There are not enough inputs and outputs available on this board to allow some keyboard macros to control a couple of extra relays needed for that part (unless it is possible to reassign some unused pins maybe?)

dazp1976
10-07-2021, 02:11 AM
Thanks Jazz, that manual has a bit more info than mine.

I will test out the system later today when I get dressed, it is 5am here in Australia and cold too.
The project I am working on is a plasma cutter that has a standalone THC with a DC motor, so I only need to use X and Y axis with Mach3.
Because the table is wide, I will be using two stepper motors and will need to slave Y and A together. I might have some homing and limit issues to deal with later.
I have already changed the Ref All Home button to allow homing of only the X and Y
DoButton( 22)
RefCombination( 10 )
I guess I will find out if it works for real later, it works on the screen OK.
The THC has a DC motor and is fully automatic, but I will still need to lift and lower when setting a job up, so I will use real push buttons to do that. There are not enough inputs and outputs available on this board to allow some keyboard macros to control a couple of extra relays needed for that part (unless it is possible to reassign some unused pins maybe?)

Well. If you can't assign any unused pins. Has your PC got a pport and 32bit o.s?.
If so, get one of those £6 5 axis pport boards with the relay. They're actually pretty good tbf.

Or bin off usb and get a UC400eth instead.

regpye
10-07-2021, 03:43 AM
I wired up the motors and tested mach3.
Some things changed in the pins settings, the motors for X Y and Z all got populated with pulse and dir pins, but not A.
I tried running the motors and they all worked fine, except I have not been able to get the A motor to turn.
I swapped the wiring over between X and A and the motor and driver is fine, so the settings for A are not there in the configuration.
I tried putting in some settings from another setup that has 5 axis, and it didn't work, so now I don't know what to try next as far as getting A to work with Y as a slave. (or even separately just to test it)

dazp1976 I have both a 32 bit machine and a 64 bit machine, the board is working fine on either one. I have already ordered and waiting on a 4 channel relay board to come.
I have several Mach3 boards, all different from each other, some have almost no outputs except for a single relay. I have an old Dell computer that runs XP and also has a parallel port that I might end up using.

regpye
10-07-2021, 10:25 AM
I have spent the whole day trying to get the A axis working. Can't get any response from either the motor side or the limits side of A or B axis.
XYZ all work OK, but I need A to work at least.
The limit settings seem very strange too, nothing is working as expected. I might have to toss this board and get a different one.
I have another board I will dig out, it is also a 5 axis I think, but this one has a parallel port connection, so I will have to use my old Dell computer for that board.

JAZZCNC
10-07-2021, 10:44 AM
If you want my advice, especially because you are using plasma is to dump USB and buy an Ethernet-based controller like the UC400 or UC300 and use UCCNC, it's much better than Mach3 and Ethernet is rock solid. USB will threak out when your plasma fires and you'll be constantly chasing trips etc.

dazp1976
10-07-2021, 10:52 AM
I have spent the whole day trying to get the A axis working. Can't get any response from either the motor side or the limits side of A or B axis.
XYZ all work OK, but I need A to work at least.
The limit settings seem very strange too, nothing is working as expected. I might have to toss this board and get a different one.
I have another board I will dig out, it is also a 5 axis I think, but this one has a parallel port connection, so I will have to use my old Dell computer for that board.

Mach3 won't change anything if you try and do it in the ports and pins sections etc.
As far as I read, these need to be changed in the plugin file for the board itself. That's what Mach loaded in when it changed.
Have a look in the Mach3 config folders for the usbMach (or whatever your board is) plugin.

You may be able to get round it for now by sharing the Pul Dir signal pins from the board to both the drivers to at least spin them.
One may go backwards and need wires reversing.

I have only read these 2 points from others and never tried either myself. Have a search around and see what you come up with.

DO NOT series daisy chain 2 motors to 1 driver unless the driver has double the output power of a single one.
This option may be suggested out there elsewhere.

dazp1976
10-07-2021, 12:44 PM
If you want my advice, especially because you are using plasma is to dump USB and buy an Ethernet-based controller like the UC400 or UC300 and use UCCNC, it's much better than Mach3 and Ethernet is rock solid. USB will threak out when your plasma fires and you'll be constantly chasing trips etc.

Totally agree.
I recently bought a UC300eth and 2*UCBB's. Nice bits of kit.
I did get slapped with an import fee though :thumbdown:

If you have decent enough axis LPT breakouts already, then you can get a uc400eth. Get some IDC26 to DB25 cables to go with it.
Or the AXBB-E might suit you too/better if they're available.

It will be much more reliable and easy to work with.

Edit: Just relised you're in Aus :watermelon: :rolleyes:
They are available though.

Clive S
10-07-2021, 12:52 PM
Totally agree.
I recently bought a UC300eth and 2*UCBB's. Nice bits of kit.
I did get slapped with an import fee though :thumbdown:

If you have decent enough axis LPT breakouts already, then you can get a uc400eth in the u.k. Get some IDC26 to DB25 cables to go with it.
Or the AXBB-E might suit you too/better if they're available.

It will be much more reliable and easy to work with.

Not sure but I think Jazz stocks some controllers

JAZZCNC
10-07-2021, 06:40 PM
Not sure but I think Jazz stocks some controllers

Yes, I do Clive S, AXBB-E, and UC300ETH with UCBB breakout board also UCCNC control software license.

We also have other components like Lichuan closed-loop steppers system, 2.2Kw water-cooled spindles with VFD also ATC spindles for those who want something a bit special. plus all the other bits and bob's for routers like energy chain, limit/home switches etc.

regpye
11-07-2021, 03:26 AM
Thanks for your advise, I checked them out and they look good and I will keep that in mind, but as I have already spent more than I should I would really like to get this working ( so I can sleep at night)

I thought I would have another go at this. I checked the software info that came with the board and saw a configuration file for the mill. I loaded that and had a look at the pin configuration and found that they were all set to zero. I used that file to clone another plasma xml.
I opened Mach3 with this new XLM file and checked the pin configuration again and still the settings were all zeros. I tried using the keyboard arrows to move the motors and found that the X and Y will move no problem. The A moves with the [ and ] keys.

When I enter some gcode to test, like G0 X100 the X motor works fine, and I can reverse it also, same with the Y and the A axis, all work fine with either keyboard button control or gcode control. The problem I have now is that although I have A slaved to Y, it is not working, maybe I have done something wrong or not done something?
I know I could just use the A and Y as a single axis by connecting the stepper drivers together using the same DIR and Pulse signals and forget about A altogether, but I really want to have separate homing available for Y and A so that I can keep my gantry square.

ZASto
11-07-2021, 06:16 AM
AFAIK some external motion controllers do not support axis slaving.

So it's not Mach.

regpye
11-07-2021, 09:13 AM
AFAIK some external motion controllers do not support axis slaving.

So it's not Mach.

I am starting to think that maybe this board is one of those.
I have checked and double checked the settings, and although I can get each axis to move independently I cannot get them to slave.
I have added some images of my settings. The motors all work with these settings, but no slaving at all.

JAZZCNC
11-07-2021, 10:05 AM
It's common for external motion controllers to move these options into the plug-in so have you gone into the config plug-in settings.?

You will find this in Config Menu under Config plugins, then it opens another window showing all the installed plugins, click the yellow config button which relates to your board and it will open the plugin so you can change the settings.

Edit: Note, not all the plugins will open a settings window.

regpye
11-07-2021, 10:34 AM
It's common for external motion controllers to move these options into the plug-in so have you gone into the config plug-in settings.?

You will find this in Config Menu under Config plugins, then it opens another window showing all the installed plugins, click the yellow config button which relates to your board and it will open the plugin so you can change the settings.

Edit: Note, not all the plugins will open a settings window.

I have tried that Jazz, the plugin seems to be fixed and not editable. Nothing happens when clicking the yellow button.

JAZZCNC
11-07-2021, 12:03 PM
I have tried that Jazz, the plugin seems to be fixed and not editable. Nothing happens when clicking the yellow button.

Ok well you might be screwed then regards proper slaving, you could always just connect both drives to one motor output, it's not the correct way but will get you working. The downside is you can't home each side independent to square the gantry without getting creative.

regpye
11-07-2021, 12:24 PM
Ok well you might be screwed then regards proper slaving, you could always just connect both drives to one motor output, it's not the correct way but will get you working. The downside is you can't home each side independent to square the gantry without getting creative.

That was the whole reason for setting this system up. The machine was already working fine using GRBL, USB and no problems from the plasma. The only problem I had was that the gantry was so wide that it didn't stay square, so that is why i wanted to have Y and A slaved together for homing. I know that GRBL 1.1h also has slave options, but wanted a change from using UGCS.

I do have another board that has a parallel port, I might give that a try, maybe it has the same problem?

dazp1976
11-07-2021, 01:30 PM
That was the whole reason for setting this system up. The machine was already working fine using GRBL, USB and no problems from the plasma. The only problem I had was that the gantry was so wide that it didn't stay square, so that is why i wanted to have Y and A slaved together for homing. I know that GRBL 1.1h also has slave options, but wanted a change from using UGCS.

I do have another board that has a parallel port, I might give that a try, maybe it has the same problem?

Assuming there are ballscrews on either side of the gantry...... Could it be possible to redisgn it a little?.
Put a timing pulley on the end of each screw, belt them together, mount a single stepper in the center.

Mind you. If considering spending on that, may as well just get a different controller!.

I bet a cheapo parallel card will end up working straight off the bat.

You have to watch what you buy when it comes to controllers. Most of these non brands are rip-offs from others and it's hit and miss, especially some of the usb ones.
The biggest gripe I have is... Why do people still buy nvem / nvum??. Do they NOT read the forums or reviews, or do any research at all??.

Parallel cards are usually fine because the PC does the work and all they do is turn voltage on/off. But it all depends on how many outputs/inputs you need.

regpye
11-07-2021, 04:35 PM
Assuming there are ballscrews on either side of the gantry...... Could it be possible to redisgn it a little?.
Put a timing pulley on the end of each screw, belt them together, mount a single stepper in the center.

Mind you. If considering spending on that, may as well just get a different controller!.

I bet a cheapo parallel card will end up working straight off the bat.

You have to watch what you buy when it comes to controllers. Most of these non brands are rip-offs from others and it's hit and miss, especially some of the usb ones.
The biggest gripe I have is... Why do people still buy nvem / nvum??. Do they NOT read the forums or reviews, or do any research at all??.

Parallel cards are usually fine because the PC does the work and all they do is turn voltage on/off. But it all depends on how many outputs/inputs you need.

Ideally I would like to have 8 inputs if using Mach3. That way I could control the homing on a slaved axis, all the limits and also run 4 relays that would make the THC standalone work better. My 1500mm wide mill has ballscrews with stepped down belts and it works great. That machine is controlled with Estlcam and has a lot of spare inputs.

regpye
12-07-2021, 08:56 AM
OK, I contacted the seller of this board and asked some questions and here is the answer.
So now we all know that if you want this feature, DON'T GET THIS BOARD.

Kitwn
12-07-2021, 11:32 AM
If you do go down the AXBB-E and UCCNC route then delivery to Australia from the supplier in Hungary is pretty quick via DHL. I bought one a few months back and it took 7 days to get from Hungary to Melbourne and another 7 days to get across the water to Devonport! It will allow auto-squaring of the gantry, I wrote about how to do it at the time.

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/14603-Auto-Squaring-UCCNC

Kit

dazp1976
12-07-2021, 12:46 PM
Ideally I would like to have 8 inputs if using Mach3. That way I could control the homing on a slaved axis, all the limits and also run 4 relays that would make the THC standalone work better. My 1500mm wide mill has ballscrews with stepped down belts and it works great. That machine is controlled with Estlcam and has a lot of spare inputs.

If you prefer seperate equipment: UC400eth + 2 of whatever bboards you desire/prefer. 24out/10in
Go all out with the UC300eth Max from cncroom: (uc300+ ub1 + ud1 + license). Around 36out/49in.
If prefer all in one type: The AXBB-E. 16out/6in. Has port3 standard LPT for a further 12out/5in (use IDC26-DB25 cable with cheap bob).

Gives you options of using Mach3 / 4 or UCCNC.