PDA

View Full Version : Fusion 360 post processor

f750
21-07-2021, 05:48 PM
Hi does anyone know how to change the post processor from tap file to nc file in Fusion 360. Watched a few youtube videos and it is not clear.

Cheers Tony

routercnc
21-07-2021, 08:14 PM
The NC file is the file which contains the gcode. I'm fairly sure it can have a few different extensions but contain the same information. So it could be myshape.nc myshape.tap myshape.txt and I'm pretty sure Mach3 will open it and read it as they are all basically text files.

But before changing the extension what for a second opinion (!) as I haven't dabbled at that level for many years.

Possibly you are asking a different question ?

f750
21-07-2021, 10:29 PM
Hi thank for the reply, I have been to change the file in Fusion 360 preferences something called External editor.

m_c
21-07-2021, 10:35 PM
I thought .nc was the default output, but then it's probably what is set in the post processors I happen to use.

If the post processor file you're using is set to tap, and everything else is ok, open the post processor.
Either from within F360 - manufacture -> 'manage' drop down menu -> Post Library, then in the new window right-click on the post, and select Edit, or alternatively find).
or in the local storage folder - C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Fusion 360 CAM\Posts

You need to change the extension = "nc"; variable (it's near the top).
Then save the file, and it should be updated next time you post code in F360.

m_c
21-07-2021, 10:36 PM
Hi thank for the reply, I have been to change the file in Fusion 360 preferences something called External editor.

Post processor editing is done an external editor.
If you're on windows, I would strongly recommend downloading and installing Notepad++, as it won't screw up text formatting like the default Windows Notepad generally does.

f750
22-07-2021, 10:57 AM
Managed to resolve it - had to edit the file in the following location C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Autodesk Fusion 360\CAM\cache\posts

Thanks for your help