PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: Quick intro from a newbie in North Wales

Brianh
30-08-2021, 05:00 PM
Hello everyone,

I’m a hobby woodworker of many years and have decided to dive into CNC and am about to order a new machine from Ooznest. I don’t have much space so will be limited in size (750x1000mm machine). I know some members on this and other forums look down on the Ooznest as it is cheap compared to what is available for professional use and may have rigidity issues. However, they do have some good reviews and the price is affordable (just). Also a big plus is that they are in the UK where I live so just a phone call away.

As for software, I will be ordering Vetric Cut2D and may upgrade to VCarve Pro at a later date if and when I feel the need.

What do yo think? Am I making a sensible choice?

Regards

Brian

JAZZCNC
30-08-2021, 09:43 PM

Hi Brian,

Nobody can really say yes or no to that question because we each want different things from a machine. However, as you are probably aware I build and sell CNC routers (Here in Uk) so I do have a bit of a unique perspective.? And, no I'm not trying to sell anything here just passing on my experience.!

Many of the customers who have bought one of my machines started with an Ooznest or Shepoko type machine, so they are great for learning, but every one of them said the same or very similar things about them which is they are flimsy, slow, limiting and become frustrating as they tried to cut larger or better parts.

Some of them tried to improve or upgrade them but quickly realized they were flogging a dead horse as the foundations are too weak, so decided to cut their losses and buy a properly built machine. Hence coming to me.!

So my two pence worth is if you only want one to learn CNC and don't expect too much from them then go ahead buy one. However, be aware CNC is very addictive, and when the bug bites these machines DO very quickly become limiting and frustrating when you try to cut more advanced or require higher quality work.
Also, by the time you factor in other things which are missing like a decent spindle they are not as cheap as they may appear, which is something else nearly every customer said was that with hindsight they wished they had saved the money and bought one of my machines from the outset.

But hindsight is a wonderful thing when you have it which is why I mention it here so others like yourself can make decisions with a little help from others hindsight. (Though the sceptics will just say I'm chasing sales,!! . . . Which I'm not because don't need to use tactics like that, my machines sell them selfs)

Good luck and welcome to the joys of CNC.

Kitwn
31-08-2021, 12:28 AM
Hello everyone,

I’m a hobby woodworker of many years and have decided to dive into CNC and am about to order a new machine from Ooznest. I don’t have much space so will be limited in size (750x1000mm machine). I know some members on this and other forums look down on the Ooznest as it is cheap compared to what is available for professional use and may have rigidity issues. However, they do have some good reviews and the price is affordable (just). Also a big plus is that they are in the UK where I live so just a phone call away.

As for software, I will be ordering Vetric Cut2D and may upgrade to VCarve Pro at a later date if and when I feel the need.

Regards

Brian

Welcome to the forum Brian. Another option to consider is that with your woodworking skills you should have no difficulty doing as many of us here have done and begin by building a wooden-framed machine, possibly using more robust supported round rails instead of plastic wheels on aluminium profile and more powerful motors. Choose the purchased hardware and electronics wisely and you'd be able to re-use many components in a later upgrade once you are confident that you're going to make use of it and have gained the experience to know what you want and how to achieve it.

Your post suggests that your budget is limited (who's isn't?) and a well-designed DIY machine is going to be better for a given price than anything you will purchase. You must already have good skills with handtools and some workshop space so I would suggest you consider the build option before buying anything. You'll have no shortage of advice and help from the members here.

Kit

Brianh
31-08-2021, 04:07 PM
Two very interesting comments, thank you.

I have sent an email to jazzcnc because I am really interested in all my options.

As for building my own machine, this isn’t something I had thought about. It’s an interesting idea but the technical/electronic aspects of building one scare me a bit (read ‘a lot’). Plus I wouldn’t know where to start designing something as complex as a CNC machine.

I will keep reading and listening on here. I think I have come to the right place.

Regards

Brian

Kitwn
01-09-2021, 12:42 PM
Two very interesting comments, thank you.

I have sent an email to jazzcnc because I am really interested in all my options.

As for building my own machine, this isn’t something I had thought about. It’s an interesting idea but the technical/electronic aspects of building one scare me a bit (read ‘a lot’). Plus I wouldn’t know where to start designing something as complex as a CNC machine.

I will keep reading and listening on here. I think I have come to the right place.

Regards

Brian

The biggest obstacle to building a machine is your own confidence, or lack of. Once you decide to get started the worst is over, though it does become a major project in it's own right. That's either good or bad depending on your personal circumstances.

Kit

JohnnyK
01-09-2021, 04:28 PM
As a hobby woodworker of many years you would appreciate having better quality tools. If you buy a cheaper learner machine with reduced rigidity and a weaker spindle then have to upgrade it,you never get what you paid for it.(Nevermind the hassle of flogging it on to another buyer). If what you desire is just outside your affordability ...save up for it or sell the wife's jewelry --or do a deal with the seller to own a better machine. We have a saying in our family. "Buy once Cry once."

JAZZCNC
01-09-2021, 07:40 PM
If what you desire is just outside your affordability ...save up for it or sell the wife's jewelry

Better still "kill two birds with one stone" Sell the Jewelry complete with wife, more money zero nagging..:loyal:

Ollie78
02-09-2021, 09:42 PM
Hi Brianh

I will just say that any machine that uses rubber wheels on an uncovered aluminium extrusion in the presence of a bunch of sawdust is likely going to be a problem.
Profiled linear rails are very much superior and designed for purpose.

The sliding carriage on my spindle moulder is steel bearings running on a steel track, it takes only a small amount of dust to need cleaning off as it starts to get rough, this is a coarse machine in comparison to a CNC router. I can only imagine the bother of trying to clean all those little wheels, and the accuracy of small parts or V carvings will suffer pretty quick.

As for the vectric stuff I would go for vcarve desktop first then upgrade to pro if you need to. I don`t think cut 2d does v carve toolpaths. To be fair though vectric are very good at letting you just upgrade for the price difference and at least you actually own the software, a rare thing these days.

Ollie

Brianh
03-09-2021, 09:22 AM
Hi Brianh

I will just say that any machine that uses rubber wheels on an uncovered aluminium extrusion in the presence of a bunch of sawdust is likely going to be a problem.
Profiled linear rails are very much superior and designed for purpose.

I have to admit that was one of my concerns.

Given everything I have learned in the few days since joining this forum and having spoken to Dean from JAZZCNC I am now quite certain that the Ooznest or equivalent machine will not be suitable, especially in the longer term (and I can’t afford to buy twice). It may be a useful tool to learn about CNC but would be one heck of an expensive lesson.

Thank you to everyone for your input

Regards

Brian