PDA

View Full Version : y axis motor mounting suggestions

reefy86
19-09-2021, 07:48 PM
having a hard time figuring out where the best place is to have the y axis motor. this is how i have it at the moment but im sure there is better solutions. didnt want the motor to be on the outside as that would mean the ballscrew would have to be longer.

Clive S
19-09-2021, 08:16 PM
having a hard time figuring out where the best place is to have the y axis motor. this is how i have it at the moment but im sure there is better solutions. didnt want the motor to be on the outside as that would mean the ballscrew would have to be longer.

That will be fine. You could also turn the motor 180' so that you don't have to cut into the gantry plate.

Edit: Have you got the pulley ratio the wrong way round ie are you trying to speed the screw up?

JAZZCNC
19-09-2021, 08:45 PM
Here's one way to do it.

reefy86
20-09-2021, 08:53 AM
The only problem with turning the motor 180 is having to have the ballscrew longer like Dean's in the photo where the ballscrew is the whole length of the gantry. I mean it might be fine if you guys can confirm it will be OK but from gantry plate to gantry plate it measures 1780mm and with that length it's asking for the use of rotating ballnut right?

JAZZCNC
20-09-2021, 09:55 AM
The only problem with turning the motor 180 is having to have the ballscrew longer like Dean's in the photo where the ballscrew is the whole length of the gantry. I mean it might be fine if you guys can confirm it will be OK but from gantry plate to gantry plate it measures 1780mm and with that length it's asking for the use of rotating ballnut right?

The length of my ball screw was by machine design and had nothing to do with the motor, the motor mount bracket will slide along the profile to meet any length of ball screw.

Like Clive mentioned below why are you showing a large pulley on the motor, you want this the other way around.

reefy86
20-09-2021, 10:11 AM
I already did that last night Dean :) what thickness do you use for the mounting brackets? Currently using 15mm

JAZZCNC
20-09-2021, 11:04 AM
I already did that last night Dean :) what thickness do you use for the mounting brackets? Currently using 15mm

Yep, that will work nicely. Even 10mm works.

side note on the plates for the BK bearings, if you look at my pic you'll see the plates actually lift the ball-screw just above the profile, this is so the ball-nut housing will attach directly to the X-axis bearing plate rather than using a drop-down bracket.!

reefy86
20-09-2021, 05:01 PM
Yep, that will work nicely. Even 10mm works.

side note on the plates for the BK bearings, if you look at my pic you'll see the plates actually lift the ball-screw just above the profile, this is so the ball-nut housing will attach directly to the X-axis bearing plate rather than using a drop-down bracket.!

do you have a pic showing the ballnut housing position Dean? here is what mine looks like but it has a plate hanging from the bearing plate for the ballnut housing.

also how do you guys solve issues like the ballnut housing being 1.25mm away from the plate its supposed to bolt on to? i have gone of the measurements from bst automation and i would of thought the ballnut housing along with both bk and bf ends would all be level with each other unless something has not aligned right in cad? picture is below to show what i mean.

thanks

Clive S
20-09-2021, 05:29 PM
You could put a shim 1.5mm in the gap or machine the BK and BF mounting plate 1.5 thinner.

reefy86
20-09-2021, 05:37 PM
You could put a shim 1.5mm in the gap or machine the BK and BF mounting plate 1.5 thinner.

Thanks Clive probably easier with shims then.

Clive S
20-09-2021, 05:56 PM

You could also remake the top plate wider so the you bolt the ball nut plate down from the top and adjust it with slots in the top plate

routercnc
20-09-2021, 07:28 PM
I think Dean meant something like this. Extend the bearing plate rearward, rotate the ballnut around its axis 90 degree and bolt down through the plate into the ballnut housing

JAZZCNC
20-09-2021, 07:46 PM
do you have a pic showing the ballnut housing position Dean? here is what mine looks like but it has a plate hanging from the bearing plate for the ballnut housing.

also how do you guys solve issues like the ballnut housing being 1.25mm away from the plate its supposed to bolt on to? i have gone of the measurements from bst automation and i would of thought the ballnut housing along with both bk and bf ends would all be level with each other unless something has not aligned right in cad?

Sorry, don't have a picture showing that part clearly... But it's not rocket science either.! The top bearing plate extends out just past the ball nut housing which as the mounting holes facing upwards to meet the plate, there are slots milled into the plate to allow adjustment. Then between the BK bearings plates which have slots, you have adjustments in both directions.

Clive S
20-09-2021, 09:16 PM
I think Dean meant something like this. Extend the bearing plate rearward, rotate the ballnut around its axis 90 degree and bolt down through the plate into the ballnut housing

Dean or Clive !!

routercnc
20-09-2021, 09:48 PM
Dean or Clive !!

Sorry Clive I misread your post (long day!) but actually it says the same thing!
1 point each !

reefy86
21-09-2021, 10:07 AM
Sorry, don't have a picture showing that part clearly... But it's not rocket science either.! The top bearing plate extends out just past the ball nut housing which as the mounting holes facing upwards to meet the plate, there are slots milled into the plate to allow adjustment. Then between the BK bearings plates which have slots, you have adjustments in both directions.

Ay! some of the stuff you come out with is rocket science to some lol. but yeah this does make it sound simple now. pic below shows what i was going to do but yours is much more simple

reefy86
21-09-2021, 10:09 AM

thank you mate

reefy86
21-09-2021, 10:34 AM
just a quicky

do these new and improved closed loop 5nm+ motors allow for extra weight to be added on the gantry? not that i want to add extra weight but this leads onto my last question. between the top and bottom bearing plate would there being any advantages to having a solid plate attaching to both of those or would it hinge things? its extra weight but if it will do nothing but add weight i wouldn't want to have it.

Thanks again