PDA

View Full Version : Motor problems/

erniehatt
29-12-2021, 11:40 PM
Hi, hope everyone had a great Xmas.
I have built my new machine, all is well, except the X axis motor, it runs but not as expected.
I jog the motor in the + direction great that is the way it runs but if I press it a second time it runs in the opposite direction, same with the _ direction.
Is this a setup problem, or the driver, maybe the motor is stuffed.
Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks.

BeagleBrainz
29-12-2021, 11:49 PM
Check the step & dir wiring.

But knowing what controller you are using may help.

m_c
30-12-2021, 12:01 AM
Double check the wiring, but I can't think of a fault that would give you those kind of symptoms.

What does the X-axis DRO show on your controller?
Is it behaving how you'd expect (increasing when you jpg +, and decreasing when you jog -), or is it following what the motor is doing?

If the DRO is doing what you expect it should, then I'd try swapping drivers around, or at least swap step/dir wires with another axis, and see if the fault moves.

erniehatt
30-12-2021, 12:57 AM
Check the step & dir wiring.

But knowing what controller you are using may help.

The controller is the NVEM v2 6axis controller and the motor driver is DM542T

erniehatt
30-12-2021, 01:02 AM
Can't check the wiring at the moment.
When I jog + it goes in the direction that it should, but jog again in reverses, jog again in goes in right direction , and so on, the - acts the same.
Externally the wiring is correct.

BeagleBrainz
30-12-2021, 03:02 AM
How many steps are we talking in each direction ? One, many, a number that is always the same or a random amount ?

What do you mean you "can't check the wiring" but "externally it's correct" ?

erniehatt
30-12-2021, 03:51 AM
How many steps are we talking in each direction ? One, many, a number that is always the same or a random amount ?

What do you mean you "can't check the wiring" but "externally it's correct" ?

It will travel in the one direction as long as I hold the button, as soon as I stop and repress it, it goes in the opposite direction.

I checked the wiring from the motor to the control box via a Drm. But at the moment I can't check inside the control box as it is so darned hot in the shed. I check the external wiring before posting here when it was cooler..

erniehatt
30-12-2021, 04:02 AM
Double check the wiring, but I can't think of a fault that would give you those kind of symptoms.

What does the X-axis DRO show on your controller?
Is it behaving how you'd expect (increasing when you jpg +, and decreasing when you jog -), or is it following what the motor is doing?

If the DRO is doing what you expect it should, then I'd try swapping drivers around, or at least swap step/dir wires with another axis, and see if the fault moves.

Unfortunately I do not have a Dro. As soon as I can get into the shed, I will give a test run and see what happens there.

BeagleBrainz
30-12-2021, 04:27 AM
I feel for ya.....Yeah summer is here, so will we have floods, fires or both this year ? Or is the gumberment going to require QR codes for natural disasters ?

If you run MIDI commands how does it go ?

I think m_c was referring to the on screen DRO, I guess you are using one of the MACH variants ?

erniehatt
30-12-2021, 04:36 AM
I feel for ya.....Yeah summer is here, so will we have floods, fires or both this year ? Or is the gumberment going to require QR codes for natural disasters ?

If you run MIDI commands how does it go ?

I think m_c was referring to the on screen DRO, I guess you are using one of the MACH variants ?

Say That again, it gets to about 40c.You may well be right who knows what they will decide on next.
Yes I am using Mach3.
Not sure what you mean by running Midi commands, I believe they are for music.
I am wondering what will happen if I run a dummy Gcode, may tangle itself up.

BeagleBrainz
30-12-2021, 04:56 AM
Sorry I come from Linuxcnc.

MDI (not Midi) Manually input g-code.....sorry extra "I" can cause some confusion. Tho someone did write a component for MIDI for Linuxcnc.

Something like G0 X10
then G0 X20

erniehatt
30-12-2021, 05:11 AM
Sorry I come from Linuxcnc.

MDI (not Midi) Manually input g-code.....sorry extra "I" can cause some confusion. Tho someone did write a component for MIDI for Linuxcnc.

Something like G0 X10
then G0 X20

Ok, had me stumped for a while as I play Midi music The Gcode is not a problem for me, I have used it with 3D printing, I will knock up something to try it, not sure if it will prove anything, but we can only try. I have some spare motors so will try swapping one and see if it is the motor or not. Then move to the next faze the driver, I think its called elimination.I can't see it being the motor though.

BeagleBrainz
30-12-2021, 05:41 AM
Ok by running some simple gcode and not getting the same issue would point to the issue being in the jogging logic.

Not knowing how jogging is setup with Mach I can't hazzard a guess as to what it may be.

But from the loose info I've seen and this may not be correct, most external boards designed for MACH do the motion/trajectory planning. If this is the case with your particular controller it could be a issue with firmware. Also it's not quite clear if you are jogging from a keyboard or an external pendant.

The way things work with Linuxcnc is that Linuxcnc decodes the gocde, works out the trajectory planning and basically just send timing info to the external controller. This could be an FPGA board or a separate micro controller core as on the BeagleBone Black or the Orange Pi with an arm based H3 CPU or 3D Printer board with modified firmware.

erniehatt
30-12-2021, 05:49 AM
[QUOTE=BeagleBrainz;128020]Ok by running some simple gcode and not getting the same issue would point to the issue being in the jogging logic.

Not knowing how jogging is setup with Mach I can't hazzard a guess as to what it may be.

But from the loose info I've seen and this may not be correct, most external boards designed for MACH do the motion/trajectory planning. If this is the case with your particular controller it could be a issue with firmware. Also it's not quite clear if you are jogging from a keyboard or an external pendant.

The way things work with Linuxcnc is that Linuxcnc decodes the gocde, works out the trajectory planning and basically just send timing info to the external controller. This could be an FPGA board or a separate micro controller core as on the BeagleBone Black or the Orange Pi with an arm based H3 CPU or 3D Printer board with modified firmware.[/QUOTE}

Thanks for the quick replies, I will try connecting a motor and see if it does the same, but at the same time I will open the box and check internal wiring, I have a feeling it is one of those two causing the problem. Let you know how it goes.