PDA

View Full Version : Help Mach3

Mikes Planes
13-02-2022, 03:52 PM
Hi All,
Just wandered if Gerry is still giving help with Mach3?? Do you have a contact for him??

Mike

JAZZCNC
13-02-2022, 05:36 PM
What's your problem.?

ZASto
14-02-2022, 07:45 AM
What kind of problem do you have?

Mikes Planes
14-02-2022, 08:56 AM
I have posted this on here some weeks ago, nothing sugested has sadly work, incluing re install of Mach3. To add to below I did some more checks and everything on the screen st works, but no motor movement
Sadly my Gecko540 gave up on me, although I changed the fuse it sounds like there is a short somewhere which I cant find, I had bought some time ago a package of a breakout board and driver board. The breakout board connects to the computer with the same parallel cable as the gecko did. I have power to both boards red lights and if I use the key board I have green lights on the driver board each motor and the DRO's move, BUT I have no power or movment of the steppers.
What have I missed?? I have run the driver test in Mach3, I have run the diver test and have an very good on this setting.
Mike

ZASto
14-02-2022, 02:36 PM
Sad about your G540, but you cad send it to Gecko drive for repair, it will be fixed for free, one time only, no questions asked, just shipping costs.

Which breakout board do you have?
Which stepper drivers you have?

When asking these kind of questions be precise and provide all relevant info.

Mikes Planes
15-02-2022, 01:35 PM
Hi,
I contacted Geko and they will not repair due to costs. I dont want to buy a new one incase I have the same problem
This is what I have, but the break out board has a parallel port connection.
https://bulkman3d.com/product/mach3-usb-5-axis-stb5100-motion-controller-bundle/

Mike

Mikes Planes
15-02-2022, 01:42 PM
Here is my breakout board

dazp1976
15-02-2022, 05:15 PM
Hi,
I contacted Geko and they will not repair due to costs. I dont want to buy a new one incase I have the same problem
This is what I have, but the break out board has a parallel port connection.
https://bulkman3d.com/product/mach3-usb-5-axis-stb5100-motion-controller-bundle/

Mike

I wouldn't touch a TB6600 driver (or this whole kit) with a bargepole!!!!.
DM556 from stepperonline all the way.

So. Are you saying you have that kit but don't have the STB5100 cotroller, just the stepper driver board and generic 5 axis parallel bob?.

One would assume that you could get a jst-xh cable and link the 2 boards that way.
Have to check the manuals to see if the wire order is correct but the little connectors inside the white plugs are easy to swap around.

m_c
15-02-2022, 06:49 PM
There's nothing wrong with TB6600 drivers. It's a reasonable no-frills driver.

It was the older TB6560's that often blew up, but that was because they had a lower max voltage, and people often drove them near that limit, so a fast deceleration was enough to over-voltage them and damage them.

Although I personally wouldn't run an all-in-one board.

Ger21
17-02-2022, 03:35 AM
BUT I have no power or movement of the steppers.

I thought I replied to your email, but I don't see it in my outbox.
If the motors are not locked up, then either they are wired wrong, or the drive is not working. DO they require an Enable signal?

Mikes Planes
17-02-2022, 03:54 PM
Hi, If I buy four DM 556 can use my break out board I sent a pic off?
I dont want to spend money and find I have the same problem!!

Mike

dazp1976
17-02-2022, 05:47 PM
Hi, If I buy four DM 556 can use my break out board I sent a pic off?
I dont want to spend money and find I have the same problem!!

Mike

This one?
http://www.mycncuk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30863&d=1644928792
Yes.
PC+ (5V+) To ALL pul+, Dir+ (&En+ if you use it) on the drives.
Pul- (pins 2,4,6,8 on board) to Pul- on drivers.
Dir- (pins 3,5,7,9 on board) to Dir- on drivers.
For En- I used p14.

Or the little white plugs. Mine are marked +5v, CLK, CK, EN. (CLK is pul, CK is dir).

Then used p16 for coolant and p17 for a relay NC position (had grief with the onboard)

Is all here:
https://warp9td.com/images/BOB_Vendors/StepperOnline/ST-V2.pdf

To be honest. ANY board that has pulse, direction, enable, 5v+, 5v-, can run a stepper driver.

Mikes Planes
18-02-2022, 08:51 AM
Hi, am I right in thinking I wont have to change any settings in Mach3 if I use this set up??

Mike

Mikes Planes
02-03-2022, 01:21 PM
This one?
http://www.mycncuk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30863&d=1644928792
Yes.
PC+ (5V+) To ALL pul+, Dir+ (&En+ if you use it) on the drives.
Pul- (pins 2,4,6,8 on board) to Pul- on drivers.
Dir- (pins 3,5,7,9 on board) to Dir- on drivers.
For En- I used p14.

Or the little white plugs. Mine are marked +5v, CLK, CK, EN. (CLK is pul, CK is dir).

Then used p16 for coolant and p17 for a relay NC position (had grief with the onboard)

Is all here:

To be honest. ANY board that has pulse, direction, enable, 5v+, 5v-, can run a stepper driver.

Mikes Planes
02-03-2022, 01:24 PM
Hi sorry I am still having problems, I have bought a stepper diver and wired it up I still have all lights and all functions on Mach3 screen set working but still NO power to steppers. If I turn the computer off the stepper locks .

Mike

Clive S
02-03-2022, 01:58 PM
Hi sorry I am still having problems, I have bought a stepper diver and wired it up I still have all lights and all functions on Mach3 screen set working but still NO power to steppers. If I turn the computer off the stepper locks .

Mike

You need to show how you have it wired . also you will need 12-24v and 5V connected to the bob

Mikes Planes
02-03-2022, 02:11 PM
Hi, I have attched two pics I have used a four lead from driver to breakout board is this OK

Mike

dazp1976
02-03-2022, 05:05 PM
Hi, I have attched two pics I have used a four lead from driver to breakout board is this OK

Mike

Not very informative. Do you have it wired as per post #12?.
These boards do require a 12-24v supply added on the right hand side to run the spindle control AND the inputs. The 5v usb supplies the outputs only.
I see you don't have the larger supply yet so....

Is E-stop turned off in Mach3?.
Do you have power to the driver?.
Some drivers require the enable signal to be used.

Are the wires actually the same config on both board and driver?. Or did you not look and just plug it in?.

I need a close up of the driver connectionns showing the symbols/names, or written down. Pul+/- dir+/- en+/- etc.

JAZZCNC
02-03-2022, 08:22 PM
Blurry pictures are as good as useless, and you need to give more specific info. If you can't take a good picture then at least draw a little diagram showing where each wire connects. Also, show the settings you have in Mach3, screenshots work best.

Mikes Planes
03-03-2022, 02:05 PM
Not very informative. Do you have it wired as per post #12?.
These boards do require a 12-24v supply added on the right hand side to run the spindle control AND the inputs. The 5v usb supplies the outputs only.
I see you don't have the larger supply yet so....

Is E-stop turned off in Mach3?.
Do you have power to the driver?.
Some drivers require the enable signal to be used.

Are the wires actually the same config on both board and driver?. Or did you not look and just plug it in?.

I need a close up of the driver connectionns showing the symbols/names, or written down. Pul+/- dir+/- en+/- etc.

Mikes Planes
03-03-2022, 02:09 PM
Hi Thank you for your help I now have all Axis working! well I have power to them. Only one will run continuously, the others judder. I have attached a pic how do I set up the red box I only have 123?30924
Thanks again

Mike

dazp1976
03-03-2022, 03:06 PM
Why'd you get the P, O, S, TB6600?.
https://m.aliexpress.com/wholesale/TB6600+4.5a.html?osf=direct
Hope you didn't pay too much.

Should've saved yourself aggro and just gone with 542 or 556.
You get what you pay for.

m_c
03-03-2022, 08:37 PM
Why'd you get the P, O, S, TB6600?.
https://m.aliexpress.com/wholesale/TB6600+4.5a.html?osf=direct
Hope you didn't pay too much.

Should've saved yourself aggro and just gone with 542 or 556.
You get what you pay for.

As I've said numerous times before, TB6600 are OK drivers, yet you seem to want to say they're rubbish at every opportunity.
They are by no means a high performance driver, but they're a reasonable basic stepper driver.

It was the older TB6560 which was well known for failing, but that was mostly down to people trying to run them on too high a voltage. If you actually ran them within their operating voltage range, they were an OK driver.

Not every application needs maximum voltage or performance.

Mikes Planes
04-03-2022, 11:29 AM
Hi Thanks again for your help. I now have power to stepper motors but they will not run, they sound stalled or trying to run to fast so do not rotate
Do you have any idea ??

Mike

dazp1976
04-03-2022, 12:36 PM
Hi Thanks again for your help. I now have power to stepper motors but they will not run, they sound stalled or trying to run to fast so do not rotate
Do you have any idea ??
Mike

Double check you have A+A-B+B- motor connections in the correct order on the driver. If incorrect you can get this happen due to dir conflict.

Which model numbers are the motors specifically.?.
What is actual machine?.

Mikes Planes
04-03-2022, 12:48 PM
Hi Thanks for that, My steppers are 60BYG301B

Mike

Mikes Planes
04-03-2022, 01:21 PM

Mike

Hi It is a home built and was working great until my Geko 540 gave up. Do I use all six wires fro the motor and Bipolar series??

Mike

m.i.k.e
04-03-2022, 01:31 PM
This may help-

https://cnc4you.co.uk/resources/Stepper%20Motor%20Nema%2023%2060BYGH301B%203.1Nm.p df

dazp1976
04-03-2022, 04:03 PM

Mike

Ah!!!!.
I see 8 wires.
Best balance for both speed/torque is parallel. Also lowers your inductance. Twist pairs together and connect as folliws:

A+ RED & BLU
A- YEL & BLK
B+. WHT & BRN
B- ORG & GRN

Then 10-45v power supply in the other 2 terminals (marked 32v & GND I think).
Try that.

I see your motors are 3.2mh inductance in parallel (it's lowest level avail). Not great for trying to get fast rapids on only 36v or less. Fine for general cutting speeds.

JAZZCNC
04-03-2022, 10:24 PM
Do you have any idea ??

Mike

Most likely happening because your motor tuning in mach3 is set for the Gecko drives and these cheaper TB-based drives cannot handle the same tuning setup. Try backing off the velocity and Acceleration by 50% and try again. When you have it working stable then slowly increase them one at a time until they start to stall again then back off again by 10%.

dazp1976
05-03-2022, 10:39 AM
Hi It is a home built and was working great until my Geko 540 gave up. Do I use all six wires fro the motor and Bipolar series??

Mike

To back up post #29.
If the motor is a 6 wire the TB6600 won't support unipolar wiring.
In this case wire it as if it were a 4 wire stepper.

Mikes Planes
05-03-2022, 03:00 PM
Hi All,
Thank you all so much for your help. I don't seam to be getting anywere with what I have, I can get full movement on Y axis using Z port on the settings I was using??
If my breakout board is OK then what drivers should I buy??
I am so upset with all this as when we left UK it was running so well. I dont have the money to buy a new Geko and even if I did I have a deep feeling it would not fix things and I would be where I am now but having spent lots of money.
Thanks again guys you have all been a help.

Mike

dazp1976
05-03-2022, 03:41 PM
Hi All,
Thank you all so much for your help. I don't seam to be getting anywere with what I have, I can get full movement on Y axis using Z port on the settings I was using??
I am so upset with all this as when we left UK it was running so well. I dont have the money to buy a new Geko and even if I did I have a deep feeling it would not fix things and I would be where I am now but having spent lots of money.

Mike

Without a doubt this one. The stepperonline drive is very good and priced well atm.
https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/digital-stepper-driver-1-8-5-6a-20-50vdc-for-nema-23-24-34-stepper-motor-dm556t

It shows in the pdf wiring for a 6 lead motor which means it supports unipolar. I also looked at the pdf of gecko 540 and it also had 6 wire wiring examples.
This is possibly why TB6600 isn't happy, it doesn't support it.
So. DM556T driver and myself I'd try it wired half coil.
https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/download/DM556T.pdf

The drive is available from stepperonline in the EU and it is also available on Aliexpress.
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005002271048370.html?gatewayAdapt=Pc2Msite&spm=a2g0o.store_pc_allProduct.8148356.3.14cf4edfhR uLoB&spm=a2g0n.store_m_home.singleImageText_20014224840 03.0

I more or less get everything from Aliexpress these days.
I've given up with UK. Availability is awful, mostly has the cheap stuff, and also at stupid pricing.

You could get the DM542T but the 556 is better value. Price difference is negligable and your motors look like they are 4.2A which is full on the 542. If your motor heat is low at 4.2 you have nowhere to go with it. The 556 gives you options.

dazp1976
05-03-2022, 04:13 PM
Hi All,

Mike

DAFT QUESTION.
Do you have all 6 motor wires connected to TB6600?.
Because, if you look at the pdf's in post 33. All 6 wire configurations show 2 wires are disconnected. Only 4 are used on 4 wire drivers.

Mikes Planes
06-03-2022, 07:59 AM
Hi,
No I have four, After putting wires together I now have four. I was wrong I do have eight wires on motor.
Mike

dazp1976
06-03-2022, 10:22 AM
Hi,
No I have four, After putting wires together I now have four. I was wrong I do have eight wires on motor.
Mike

Thank you.
At least we're clear on wire count now.

Parallel is definately best.

metalman
06-03-2022, 01:43 PM
Hello everyone I am a new user to MYCNCUK and I would like to wade in with a problem that I have so here goes........ " I have built my own control panel and every thing looks well, accept for I can't get my Mach3 software to hand shake with the Bluesky T AM9587 5 axis 100Kz motion controller, I have tried using 2 different USB motion drivers UB100 and RnR motion driver and both do not recognise the AM9587 brake out board by displaying ( not recognised plug in the cable and try again ) I assume that it means the USB cable which is connected so the USB drive is not for the brake out board ) dose any one know if there is a dedicated USB driver for AM9587 motion controller board.

Mikes Planes
25-03-2022, 02:19 PM
Hi,
I bought a DM556T I now have all axis working OK so I will buy the other three I need.
Do I need to have a 5v power supply to each one or can I just use the 5v from the board??

Mike

dazp1976
25-03-2022, 03:38 PM
Hi,
I bought a DM556T I now have all axis working OK so I will buy the other three I need.
Do I need to have a 5v power supply to each one or can I just use the 5v from the board??

Mike

Wire it as per the diagram in the image here:
Red and blue is the same to all drivers. Then pul/dir to chosen axis pins.
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/2a/05/34/2a0534516b0796cccbbf64179bfb9f8b.jpg

There is a pdf users manual here if still using that generic 5 axis board with relay:

Mikes Planes
11-04-2022, 03:05 PM
Hi dazp,
I now have all axis working fine. I connected stop limts, probe for hight of tool but none of them work. I wired them as per manual still nothing, Have i missed somthing?? I have attached the manual for you to look at
Regards

Mike

dazp1976
11-04-2022, 04:50 PM
Hi dazp,
I now have all axis working fine. I connected stop limts, probe for hight of tool but none of them work. I wired them as per manual still nothing, Have i missed somthing?? I have attached the manual for you to look at
Regards

Mike

Do you have a 12-24v power supply plugged into the middle 2 screw terminals on the right hand side?.
If not, that is your problem. Inputs are powered by this. Only the outputs use the 5v power.
They are 2 separate circuits.

Around a 2Amp supply should be plenty.

Missing out this power supply is a common problem.

Mikes Planes
12-07-2022, 02:18 PM
Hi,
Sorry foe being so long to say thank you all in last post now working. Sorry stiil have problems. I have wired all axis up but Z only go's up I have tried plugs and pin and also looked in Homing and limits no luck.

Mike

dazp1976
13-07-2022, 12:54 PM
Hi,
Sorry foe being so long to say thank you all in last post now working. Sorry stiil have problems. I have wired all axis up but Z only go's up I have tried plugs and pin and also looked in Homing and limits no luck.

Mike

Broken wire or pin between controller and driver DIR terminal?.
Controlling the stepper DIR simply works by switching the 5v on or off to the drive DIR terminal. So a broken wire is the first place I'd start.

Mikes Planes
13-07-2022, 01:17 PM
Hi
Thanks for that.
If I put the Z axis on to the Y axis on the board it works perfectly does this mean there is somthing wrong with the board???

Mike

JAZZCNC
13-07-2022, 01:42 PM
Hi
Thanks for that.
If I put the Z axis on to the Y axis on the board it works perfectly does this mean there is somthing wrong with the board???

Mike

If you are absolutely sure you have the correct pin numbers for the Dir pin and when you replace the wiring and it still doesn't work then yes it's a good indication there is something wrong with the Dir output pin.

Highly likely you have the wrong pin number if it's the first time using it, but if it was working before with this pin number then most probably dead output.!

Mikes Planes
13-07-2022, 01:48 PM
Hi I have just changed boad with a spare I have and get same results.
When you say pin is this the output on the parallel por lead??
Mike

Mikes Planes
13-07-2022, 02:08 PM
Hi Just put the Y axis on the X axis and get the same problem only driving in one direction??

Mike

JAZZCNC
13-07-2022, 02:13 PM
Hi I have just changed boad with a spare I have and get same results.
When you say pin is this the output on the parallel por lead??
Mike

Ah didn't realize you were using the parallel port. Well in that case then if it does it with both boards and you are sure the pin number is correct it most likely will be a faulty cable. The cable must be what's called a Null modem cable, which basically means that each pin goes to the same numbers at each end of the cable. Some cables cross over ie: pin1 to pin 10 at the other end. This is easily checked with a multimeter continuity test.

JAZZCNC
13-07-2022, 02:18 PM
Hi Just put the Y axis on the X axis and get the same problem only driving in one direction??

Mike

Check the wiring, check the pin numbers, check the cable, and after this then difficult to say without being in front of the machine. Personally, I would get rid of the parallel port and upgrade to an Ethernet-based controller as the parallel port is a dinosaur.!

dazp1976
13-07-2022, 08:42 PM
You need a multimeter ideally.
First check.
End to end on your parallel cable for continuity and that the pin numbers end to end all match.

If that checks out then next check.
Get the bob with nothing connected except for the parallel cable and 5v power.
Put -negative meter terminal onto bob board pc-GND pin.
Then use the +positive terminal on the output pins.
Test each pin one by one by setting it as an output for M8 coolant relay in Mach3 outputs and relay on spindle page.

So start with say P2. Set output# as P2, set spindle M8 relay as selected output#. Put positive probe on P2, (neg to pc GND). Now M8 on/off toggle in Mach3 will show either 5v or 0v on the meter if bob output Pin is working properly.
Just change selected Mach output P number as you go along.

If bob Pin not working it will either show 0v or 5v permanent regardless of on/off toggle.

If parallel cable checked OK then output fault is either bob or pc port itself. If both bob's do the sane it's the pc port.

Mikes Planes
14-07-2022, 07:38 AM
Hi
The lead is the one I have always used. Where do I find out what pins to use is there a list???

Mike

Mikes Planes
27-07-2022, 12:07 PM
Hi Thank so much as always great help.
I have done all in last post and all is well but not sure on the lead so I have sent for a new one.
I would like to put my suds on a relay but I don't see where to connect it other the P16/P17. I have attached a copy of a relay board I have but don't see were VCClead go's on my BOB?? or if I use the one on the BOB were the power to the pump comes from??

Mike

Mikes Planes
27-07-2022, 12:22 PM
Sorry here is the attachment31153

dazp1976
27-07-2022, 12:30 PM
Hi Thank so much as always great help.
I have done all in last post and all is well but not sure on the lead so I have sent for a new one.
I would like to put my suds on a relay but I don't see where to connect it other the P16/P17. I have attached a copy of a relay board I have but don't see were VCClead go's on my BOB?? or if I use the one on the BOB were the power to the pump comes from??

Mike

Your 5v VCC output on those 5axis type bobs is marked PC5V. your 5v GND is marked PCGND.
If using the on-board spindle relay, you cannot use P17 as an output. There is a jumper on the bob to switch P17 to either on-board relay use or Pin use.

I had:
P1= 0-10v Analog.
P2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9= 4 axis.
P10= estop:
P11,12,13,15= limit/probe.
P14= axis enable.
P16= suds coolant.
P17= spindle on/off.

That filled it.
Then needed more I/O so I upgraded to a UC300eth.

Mikes Planes
27-07-2022, 12:41 PM
So am I right if I connect Bule on attached to P16 and P17 then red to pc5v?? were does the 220v come fromto drive the pump? I take it that the two brown wires are the on off switch but do they come fromthe pump or via a 220v feed?

Mike

dazp1976
27-07-2022, 05:16 PM
So am I right if I connect Bule on attached to P16 and P17 then red to pc5v?? were does the 220v come fromto drive the pump? I take it that the two brown wires are the on off switch but do they come fromthe pump or via a 220v feed?

Mike

One of the wires goes in and out of COM/NC on the side that gets switched.
Example:
220v+ve goes from feed+ to the pump 220v+ve.
220v-ve goes from feed- into COM, then NC out to pump 220-ve.

So the relay will turn it on/off on the low (-ve) side this way.

Mikes Planes
03-08-2022, 10:05 AM
Hi
I now have a new lead and as before the Y axis only moves in one direction? If I chane position on bob then it is OK.
I have spent alot of money on this rebuild and time but dont seem to be getting any were with it. the limit switches only work intermitantly??

Mike

dazp1976
03-08-2022, 11:15 PM
Hi
I now have a new lead and as before the Y axis only moves in one direction? If I chane position on bob then it is OK.
I have spent alot of money on this rebuild and time but dont seem to be getting any were with it. the limit switches only work intermitantly??

Mike

Could be the parallel port on the pc has gone then.
I would get a voltmeter onto the bob.
Put the +ve end on pc5v, put the -ve end on the dir pin.
Then toggle active low/high you should see it alternate between 5v (ish) and 0v (I/O for cw or ccw, that's how it works).
If you see no change, then the signal on that pin isn't working. So is either bob or port.

Ideally. The best way to test a pport is: you want to get a screw terminal board for your Parallel cable so you can test pport signal directly. Plug one end of cable into port/ other end into screw terminal board header.
(If your hands are steady you may be able to just do this by touching the pins on the pport itself but: don't slip!.)
Put the +ve probe end onto the output pin you want to test, put -ve end onto any GND pin 18-25.
Set a flood coolant relay to that output number. Now when you turn coolant on/off you should see voltage changes on the pin you set. If port isn't working you will see no change.

Then you should know where your at with it and go from there.