PDA

View Full Version : CNC Spindle choice and supply options - 2.2 kw water cooled spindle and VFD

dogboy
13-02-2022, 07:59 PM
Hello,

I am sure this topic has been discussed many times over but I couldn't really find what I was searching for.

I have just more or less finished a long term home built / designed CNC build and now need to purchase a spindle motor.
After lots of reading and research, I have decided that a 2.2 KW water cooled spindle motor and matching VFD unit would suit my needs.

I am looking at something along the lines of what CNC4YOU sells in the UK.

https://www.cnc4you.co.uk/Spindle/Water-Cooled/Spindle-Motor-Single-phase-to-3-Phase-2.2KW-Water-cooled-ER20-with-Matching-VFD-plus-Mount

It would seem that all though similar units are available on eBay and Amazon and other such places for a lot lower cost it may be that what you actually get for your money can be a lot less in regards to build quality and also the actual components used, and of course their are many reports or fake devices out there which work but and far less superior in many respects, such as bearing quality, runout, VFD quality and control etc.

CNC4YOU say that the motor and VFD come direct from the actual manufacturer and and are fully tested, matched and setup ready to go and have been very well specified by them.

Really my question is what other options are available in the UK to purchase a good quality and reliable 2.2 KW spindle without having problems or buying something that may end up being false economy later on when they fail or become unreliable.

Any views or thoughts on this or suggestions about other makes or suppliers, which would be a good alternative to a lot of the mainstream far eastern spindles that seem to be everywhere. Or is it a case of that certain brands and suppliers of these are actually very good??

I am happy to purchase from CNC4YOU but just need to consider all options first to make sure I am making the right decision.

Thanks for your time .

Paul

Kitwn
14-02-2022, 12:05 PM
Paul,
That looks a lot like a Huan Yang product, which might explain the HY part number! I bought mine on AliExpress from the Huan Yang Drive shop nearly 3 years ago and have had no problems. Bought as a pair the drive was pre-configured for the spindle. Obvioulsy there may be delivery delay differences and a very different level of after-sales support than you will get from a local supplier, but it might be interesting to compare their prices. Note that the mounting was not included in the price shown.

This link is taken from my order record on AliExpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/905078799.html?spm=a2g0o.9042311.0.0.78de4c4dP6Q16 L

Kit

Clive S
14-02-2022, 12:37 PM
Another option from Dean a member of this forum:-

https://www.jazzcnc.co.uk/product-page/24k-rpm-2-2kw-water-cooled-spindle-set

Voicecoil
14-02-2022, 02:58 PM
What sort of work are you going to be doing with your machine? Wood? Metal? - that governed my choice, there are various varieties out there: 2 pole/4 pole, constant torque & constant power, differing max rpm etc.

phill05
14-02-2022, 03:20 PM
I have had the same 2.2kw matched VFD from CNC4YOU and find it works well no problems it all worked as they say out of the box.

Dean never got back to me for the order.

dogboy
14-02-2022, 05:53 PM
What sort of work are you going to be doing with your machine? Wood? Metal? - that governed my choice, there are various varieties out there: 2 pole/4 pole, constant torque & constant power, differing max rpm etc.

Thanks for your replies.

Initially, I mainly intend to be milling wood, but I have plans to do some Aluminium work and also maybe slate or marble (if possible)
Although, for wood I do not need the such spindle but I also want to use 1/2" cutters so need ER20 collets or larger.
Plus longer term, may also add some sort of flood / spray cooling when cutting larger metal jobs in Alu. but may also go further if my machine can handle it! :highly_amused: or even upgrade some bits later.

I have the bed / stage XYZ all working and homing correctly now and only now need a spindle.

Thanks

Paul

dogboy
14-02-2022, 06:01 PM
I have had the same 2.2kw matched VFD from CNC4YOU and find it works well no problems it all worked as they say out of the box.

Ah, that sounds good, I have been longing for reviews or someone who actually bought these from CNC4YOU, but reviews / opinions etc about them seem hard to find, good or bad.

I don't have a problem with CNC4YOU and when I have spoken to them about this they seem to be very knowledgeable and very helpful, I just want to make sure its the right choice for my hard earned cash at £500 for the spindle / VFD and mount. I would have like a branded spindle / VFD (better know brand), and also like the offerings from Mechatron but of course these would cost a lot more than £500. looking on Amazon / eBay and the like the "same" setup can be purchased for far less but what are you really getting?

I have spent a small fortune on the rest of the build over a few years, spending the far too much on drivers, motors, ball screws, controller and the like so really want to make sure that I can get the best spindle for the money.I do of course understand that at that price these are not high end brand units but hopefully will be all I need.

Thanks for your replies.

Paul

JAZZCNC
14-02-2022, 09:36 PM

When and where did you contact me because I've just checked back thru my emails both personal and business and have not had any from you. Did you use PM or email thru the forum system if so then I don't always receive them and have had several people try to contact me this way and failed? The best way is to use the email in my signature or go thru the website directly.

I always try to reply to emails, not always straight away, but I do reply so if I don't then there's usually a reason like I've not received it or it's got caught in the spam filter which on occasion odd email can slip thru and be deleted.

JAZZCNC
14-02-2022, 10:00 PM
CNC4YOU say that the motor and VFD come direct from the actual manufacturer and and are fully tested, matched and setup ready to go and have been very well specified by them.

Ermmm not so sure about that.? That spindle doesn't look like a Huanyang spindle to me as it doesn't have the laser-etched Logo etc which Huanyang spindles have.

If you look at the pictures on our site which Clive S linked to you will see the markings I'm talking about. Our spindle and VFD are made and bought directly from Huanyang which is clear to see. I have fit literally 100's of these on machines we build so they are very well-proven.

phill05
15-02-2022, 09:40 AM
When and where did you contact me because I've just checked back thru my emails both personal and business and have not had any from you. Did you use PM or email thru the forum system if so then I don't always receive them and have had several people try to contact me this way and failed? The best way is to use the email in my signature or go thru the website directly.

I always try to reply to emails, not always straight away, but I do reply so if I don't then there's usually a reason like I've not received it or it's got caught in the spam filter which on occasion odd email can slip thru and be deleted.

Email from you July 2021
Phill

Neale
15-02-2022, 10:32 AM
I bought my VFD/spindle from CNC4YOU maybe 8-9 years ago and it's now fitted to its second router. Ran fine straight out of the box although I ended up making one minor configuration change to the VFD. It was something like being set to 4-pole and it was 2-pole motor (or vice versa). Made no difference to how it worked but the speed display was out by a factor of 2. I expect they've fixed that by now!

At that time, Chinese eBay suppliers were a bit more of an unknown quantity so I paid a bit more for a UK supplier. It's different now, but given how it's lasted I can't say I'm unhappy.

phill05
15-02-2022, 10:52 AM
Thanks for your replies.

Initially, I mainly intend to be milling wood, but I have plans to do some Aluminium work and also maybe slate or marble (if possible)
Although, for wood I do not need the such spindle but I also want to use 1/2" cutters so need ER20 collets or larger.
Plus longer term, may also add some sort of flood / spray cooling when cutting larger metal jobs in Alu. but may also go further if my machine can handle it! :highly_amused: or even upgrade some bits later.

I have the bed / stage XYZ all working and homing correctly now and only now need a spindle.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul, the 2.2kw would be fine for cutting all your types Wood Aluminium etc I have used it on all including sandstone and granite no problem but if you do get into stone, slate you will need to think of flood water coolant to the cutter or you are going to burn out the cutter quick.

On the first a larger cnc for cutting all stone/ granite many years ago we put a 4KW spindle which I got from Damon cnc in Germany a lot more money but that has been running I guess for 15 years 24/7 a lot of the time and I have changed a set of bearing in it.

Phill

JAZZCNC
15-02-2022, 10:54 AM
Email from you July 2021
Phill

Hi Phill, Sorry I didn't check back that far, your first email about these was actually in May 2021. Now I've found you and replied to the email you just sent me explaining that I did reply, which from all my previous replies hopefully you can believe Is true, but for some reason, it appears like it didn't leave.:sorrow:
Anyway, the email explains more and a little discount on any future order for the trouble.:thumsup:

Dean

dazp1976
15-02-2022, 12:40 PM
Paul,
That looks a lot like a Huan Yang product, which might explain the HY part number! I bought mine on AliExpress from the Huan Yang Drive shop nearly 3 years ago and have had no problems. Bought as a pair the drive was pre-configured for the spindle. Obvioulsy there may be delivery delay differences and a very different level of after-sales support than you will get from a local supplier, but it might be interesting to compare their prices. Note that the mounting was not included in the price shown.
This link is taken from my order record on AliExpress.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/905078799.html?spm=a2g0o.9042311.0.0.78de4c4dP6Q16 L
Kit

I don't think there's much stuff on my mill that isn't from Aliexpress except for the base machine itself :smile:
When buying large items like motors etc, have to factor in getting stung for import tax.

My Lichuan 1.8kw servo cost me £309 at the time (is a lot more now) and I think the tax on it was around £86 all told.
I've only managed to fully bench test it so far.
Recently had psu's, isolator boards, sensors, fuse blocks, filters, rj45 stuff, DB cables and terminals & other misc. Smaller stuff generally gets past.
Never had issues, can be fractions of cost compared to uk, some things are just plain not available here either.

Next I'm saving up for some Delta servos and I might get a signal light tower just for fun.

cropwell
15-02-2022, 10:00 PM
I shall soon be offering for sale a 2.2KW spindle, Mount, VFD (Huanyang), spindle power cable, water cooling kit (pump 12 and 24v available), header tank and radiator (120mm) and 12 or 24v fan and tubing. There is also a kit of ER20 collets (Metric and Imperial) in a wood and brass case.

I also have a CSMIO IP/S and a second hand 3A 24v DIN rail power supply. There is also a selection of electrical items, DIN rails, DIN rail terminals, a PILZ relay, 4, 60v power supplies, 4 drivers and 4 Nema34 14mm shaft steppers. (These are on my mezzanine storage and I am unable to climb stairs now)

I also have rails, linear bearings, Ball screws and ball nuts of varying lengths (900 and 600) I believe.

Most of these items are boxed and unused.

Due to illness, I am unlikely ever use them and so am selling them.

In my garage I have Steel box section including (100x50x5 and 50x50x3) with the longest lengths being 1100mm, other steel sections and bars etc.

If anyone would like to open a discussion on these items, please PM me and we can continue by text or on Whatsapp when we have swapped mobile numbers.

Cheers,

Rob Townshend

PIA
06-05-2023, 04:14 PM
Hi Paul,

So what did you go with and why? I am in the same situation, choosing between CNC4YOU and JAZZCNC.

Not entirely convinced if the CNC4YOU option justifies twice the JAZZCNC price for the seemingly same product.

AndyUK
06-05-2023, 11:44 PM
Hi Paul,

So what did you go with and why? I am in the same situation, choosing between CNC4YOU and JAZZCNC.

Not entirely convinced if the CNC4YOU option justifies twice the JAZZCNC price for the seemingly same product.

If you're talking about the usual 2.2kW spindle + vfd + mount, they look like the same offering from China, but with different markups at each shop. Being how active Dean is here I suspect that you'd be able to discuss any issues directly with him, and it's cheaper.

Alternatively, you might be able to buy directly from China for less and get the same stuff, but import taxes, and the extra hassle if you have issues, along with the wait for delivery.... You pays your money and you takes your choice.