PDA

View Full Version : VM25L R8 mill bad noise on spindle.

Markie11
30-10-2022, 04:31 PM
Hi All
Now I’m brand new to milling and I purchased the Amadeal VM25L R8 mill. It’s brand new and unused but I’ve had it for some months. When I finally got around to testing the spindle sounded terrible.

Does it need running in, oiling or is it a bad bearing? How can I resolve this ?

Looking forward to your replies. Please see Vid.

https://youtu.be/nlyq-1dGmxs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee Roberts
30-10-2022, 06:09 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum!

It sounds like a bearing problem to me, is there anyway to adjust the preload on them to check?

What has Amadeal said?

Markie11
30-10-2022, 06:21 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum!

It sounds like a bearing problem to me, is there anyway to adjust the preload on them to check?

What has Amadeal said?

Hi Lee and many thanks.

I’ve contacted Amadeal and I await their reply, hopefully they can help.

I’m not sure about being able to adjust the preload, I’m just getting used to the mill.

I’m wondering if the bearings would need some lube, again I’m not sure even if this is possible.

I will research preload.

Many thanks.

Lee Roberts
30-10-2022, 08:50 PM
Actually, dont worry about preload at the moment...

Looking at the video again, I Think i can see a belt on the silver pully, if it was me i would remove that black top plate and see whats going on under there, if you can, take the belt off and spin the spindle by hand and check that to see if there is any binding or sounds similar to the noise its making when spinning under power.

Then also check whatever connections are at the other end of the belt, presumably another pully that is connected to the motor shaft, check to see if anything that end is binding or not rotating freely like it should be?

Also, is it correct your not getting spindle speed (rpm) read out on the display as well?

Markie11
30-10-2022, 08:56 PM
Hi Lee
Great advice. I will look closer at the pulley wheel I’m assuming it will come off.

Yes the speed indicator is triggered via a magnetic that’s fixed just above the pulley wheel, I removed them for inspection and moved the hall sensor to the side.

I’m still hopeful of a simple resolution but I’m also reluctant to remove anything major until I’ve heard back from Amadeal, it’s still under warranty.

Many thanks [emoji120]

Lee Roberts
01-11-2022, 02:03 PM
Ok don't forget to let us know the out come etc :)

dazp1976
03-11-2022, 11:55 AM
Yes. Let us know how you get on. Mine has been sat for a year so far (illness, not lazy!) so mine might need some maintenance too.

I may be looking at replacing mine anyway for some higher rated rpm ones, still have upgrades to fit to it.

Andybpowell
02-12-2022, 03:41 PM
my Amadeal tm25 was always a bit noisy from new but then started to sound like yours a few weeks ago so I changed out the 4 spindle bearings with good quality bearings and packed them with Klüber ISOFLEX NBU 15 grease and the differance is amazing it's probably only half as loud as it was when I bought it new I wish I'd changed them years ago
total cost for the bearings was £65 and luckily I have a friend who got me the grease because that's almost more expensive than the bearings

Markie11
02-12-2022, 06:10 PM
my Amadeal tm25 was always a bit noisy from new but then started to sound like yours a few weeks ago so I changed out the 4 spindle bearings with good quality bearings and packed them with Klüber ISOFLEX NBU 15 grease and the differance is amazing it's probably only half as loud as it was when I bought it new I wish I'd changed them years ago
total cost for the bearings was £65 and luckily I have a friend who got me the grease because that's almost more expensive than the bearings

Hi Andy and thanks for the info.
I’ve been on to Amadeal who suggested I tighten up the retention nut, I have yet to do that but will take a look over the weekend. They also suggest it could be “incorrectly preloaded spindle bearing”.

Also if I run and put pressure on the spindle the noise stops and once I release it comes back, do you think this could be the bearings?

My issue is really with mine being brand new and unused I shouldn’t be really having to do all this. Amadeal have been ok about it but I’m yet to find a quick solution.

Can I ask you for a link to where you purchased the bearings, might be worthwhile.

Many thanks
Mark [emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]

Andybpowell
03-12-2022, 11:13 AM
It could be incorrect preload or just the poor quality bearings they use in the machines in the first place when I bought mine I spent a few days stripping it down cleaning it and reassembling with fresh grease from the factory they are not well adjusted it was time well spent and cut my backlash in half

the supplier I used were Simply Bearings Ltd

I'm not sure if your machine will use the same size bearings as mine I would assume so but you know what they say about assumptions
These are the bearings I used
1 x 6209LLBCM/5K NTN
1 x 6007VV NSK
1 x 32005X/Q SKF
1 x 32007X/Q SKF

You've got to partially dissasemble to check/adjust the preload so you could check the bearing sizes then

Markie11
03-12-2022, 01:29 PM
It could be incorrect preload or just the poor quality bearings they use in the machines in the first place when I bought mine I spent a few days stripping it down cleaning it and reassembling with fresh grease from the factory they are not well adjusted it was time well spent and cut my backlash in half

the supplier I used were Simply Bearings Ltd

I'm not sure if your machine will use the same size bearings as mine I would assume so but you know what they say about assumptions
These are the bearings I used
1 x 6209LLBCM/5K NTN
1 x 6007VV NSK
1 x 32005X/Q SKF
1 x 32007X/Q SKF

Yuo've got to partially dissasemble to check/adjust the preload so you could check the bearing sizes then

Many thanks for your detailed explanation[emoji1303]

I will check out the supplier and understand preload.

Many thanks [emoji120]

Markie11
06-12-2022, 09:14 PM
How difficult is it to remove the bearings, what equipment would be required? Like you say I’m halfway there so I may as well replace them.
Many thanks

Andybpowell
07-12-2022, 02:06 PM
I needed a bearing puller and a press where abouts are you in the uk

Markie11
07-12-2022, 02:09 PM
I needed a bearing puller and a press where abouts are you in the uk

Thanks Andy.
Yes I reckoned I’d want those. My issue is I was expecting Amadeal to be a bit more helpful considering it’s new and unused.

I’m in South Yorkshire, Barnsley to be more precise.

Andybpowell
07-12-2022, 05:02 PM
yes I understand your point sadly from experiance with all of these chinese made machines they make the same machine to differant standards depending on the specifications of the purchasing company who rebrands it and sells it to you from what I've seen the amadale branded machines this is the quality you get basically you get what you pay for but with a few hours put in setting it up it's a pretty solid machine (ok quite a few hours setting it up )

Markie11
07-12-2022, 05:06 PM
I guess this is what I’m preparing myself for now. I need to look at the equipment required to do a full refit of the bearings. Alternatively I pay someone to do this for me.

Andybpowell
07-12-2022, 10:54 PM
I've only just seen your other thread about removing the spindle and adjusting the preload, the bottom nut is just a cap that locks the bearing in place the adjustment is just on the upper and you have to slacken off the 2 locking screws first remembering to tighten them after

Markie11
07-12-2022, 11:01 PM
I've only just seen your other thread about removing the spindle and adjusting the preload, the bottom nut is just a cap that locks the bearing in place the adjustment is just on the upper and you have to slacken off the 2 locking screws first remembering to tighten them after

Thanks Andy. I’ve tried tightening this up and it seemed to have some effect but then the noise was more sporadic but there.
Can this be tightened up really tight? It seemed to be tight anyway before I loosened it and then tightened back up.

I need a pin spanner to do it properly.

Having said that I’m probably best doing as you did and add new bearings [emoji120]

Are you anywhere near me in South Yorkshire?

Andybpowell
07-12-2022, 11:20 PM
sadly no I'm in southend on sea I did have to tighten mine with a punch

Markie11
08-12-2022, 06:48 PM
Want to buy it + extras?

Markie11
22-12-2022, 08:55 PM
Hi all.
I’ve had some success from Amadeal. After some effort they agreed to send me a new spindle. I received the spindle and fitted it to
my machine and bobs your uncle it’s running sweet.
I thought it was only right to confront Amadeal with this issue considering it was a new machine and had never been used. I have to say although quite slow at replying to my emails they were great and Hugh that dealt with this was very understanding and got the new spindle out next day delivery.

I have yet to put the mill through any meaningful tests but right off the mark it is very noticeably an improvement.

I want to thank everyone who helped me with this issue and I hope to see you all on various posts.

Mark

Andybpowell
22-12-2022, 10:28 PM
Excellent news mark I'm happy it got sorted out in the end
:calm:

Lee Roberts
27-12-2022, 10:19 PM
Great news Mark, thanks for keeping us updated and I look forward to seeing you put the mill into action :thumsup: