PDA

View Full Version : MACH3 - Problem moving from XP to Windows 7

Mammers
23-01-2023, 07:20 PM
As luck would have it, my Windows XP PC blew up. I managed to source a Windows 7 PC with a parallel port, install mach3 and transfer over my config XML and license from an old backup. Doing this seems to have transferred over the pin settings etc, but I can't get any movement out of the motors. The DRO is changing like the machine is moving when I use the arrow keys, but the motors aren't working and the spindle won't start up with the usual command either.

I'm using a Marchant Dice (I know) machine with a Tonman Superbox control box. The box's red e-stop LED won't turn off either, which is probably telling of some kind of issue, but I'm stumped after scratching my head over this for the better part of 8 hours.

m_c
24-01-2023, 01:57 AM
Is the new PC 32 or 64bit?
The parallel port driver won't work on 64bit.

Mammers
24-01-2023, 12:23 PM
Is the new PC 32 or 64bit?
The parallel port driver won't work on 64bit.

Hi m_c, yes it's 32 bit. Very strange.

Mammers
24-01-2023, 12:49 PM
The estop light on the control box does go off momentarily during PC startup, and I managed to get it to go off by pressing movement keys in a particular order while mach3 was open but I haven't managed to replicate this. The CNC did not move, however.

m_c
24-01-2023, 06:16 PM
It could be the parallel port is set to the wrong mode in the BIOS, but it's that long since I've had anything to do with a PP, I can't remember any of the details.
There should be guides on the Mach site, or in the forum.

Mammers
24-01-2023, 11:18 PM
As Computer operating system are 32 or 64 bit. So it would be useful for me know abut the system type firstly so that i may decide for me it is better or not.

Hi Talha222 - yes it's 32bit

Mammers
24-01-2023, 11:19 PM
It could be the parallel port is set to the wrong mode in the BIOS, but it's that long since I've had anything to do with a PP, I can't remember any of the details.
There should be guides on the Mach site, or in the forum.

Thanks m_c , I'll have a mooch and report back. I'm fairly sure I've been through the BIOS and wanjangled all that, but it's best I double check and cross reference with Mach's materials

Mammers
26-01-2023, 03:40 PM
I'm having zero luck with this.

I've flicked through all the modes for the PP in the bios and tried each

The port address is definitely correct, the mach3 drivertest tool runs fine. I've gone through several threads and the fix is always something to do with the port address.

I've attached some screenshots of my stuff

m_c
26-01-2023, 11:47 PM
Did you manage to work out the wiring for the machine?

Have you got any photos of what BOB (Breakout Board) is fitted?
My suspicion is it's possibly a chargepump config issue.
The chargepump needs to receive a fixed frequency signal from the parallel port, otherwise it won't allow any of the outputs from the BOB to enable. It's a safety feature to avoid any 'random' movement/activations caused by uncontrolled parallel port outputs, which can happen as the PC hardware gets configured as the PC boots.

However, the fact the E-Stop light goes off during booting, may mean it's using a simple enable output.
Some photos of the inside of the control box would be helpful.

Mammers
27-01-2023, 02:53 AM
Did you manage to work out the wiring for the machine?

Have you got any photos of what BOB (Breakout Board) is fitted?
My suspicion is it's possibly a chargepump config issue.
The chargepump needs to receive a fixed frequency signal from the parallel port, otherwise it won't allow any of the outputs from the BOB to enable. It's a safety feature to avoid any 'random' movement/activations caused by uncontrolled parallel port outputs, which can happen as the PC hardware gets configured as the PC boots.

However, the fact the E-Stop light goes off during booting, may mean it's using a simple enable output.
Some photos of the inside of the control box would be helpful.

Really appreciate your input m_c. I've attached an image I have to hand of the inside of the control box, I can get a better one when I'm in the workshop tomorrow.31679

m_c
27-01-2023, 02:11 PM
That won't be an easy thing to work out, short of reverse engineering that BOB :/

Have you got anyway to get the config of the computer that died?

I think at this point, I'd suggest ordering one of the generic 5-axis CNC Breakout Boards from eBay. And just checked, there is a solitary one available via Amazon Prime - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fasizi-Breakout-optical-coupler-Stepper/dp/B09Z29TYNL/
There are a few resources for those generic BoBs, which removes having to guess what pins are required to get the Tonman BoB working.

phill05
27-01-2023, 06:56 PM
Don't know if it helps but the yellow/blue power wires are in different position on middle driver.

Phill

Robin Hewitt
29-01-2023, 03:59 PM
XP was the last Windows version where Bill Gates would let you anywhere near the timer interrupts. The moment he lets you in there he can't time-slice you if you start misbehaving. You can hack into a 1kHz interrupt but Bill can keep you waiting if he thinks he needs more processor time. Bad news if you want to keep those steppers rolling. Without control of the interrupts, you have to add another processor between Bill and your motors, one where you are in control.
Or something like that :witless:

Mammers
29-01-2023, 09:00 PM
Thank you to everyone who took the time to read and provide some advice- it is much appreciated

After much head-scratching, crying and pleading we finally got to the bottom of things. The parallel port on the new PC was just not outputting any signals. Whether that was due to the port being busted or Mach3 just not getting along with it I'm not sure. I used this video to get started https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uglCm_qsojk

After some suspect prodding about with a paperclip and a multimeter, I coaxed my friend over with the promise of food and coffee and he brought his oscilloscope to confirm that mach3 and the parallel port were not cooperating. I bought a UC100 motion controller to bypass the whole thing- I really do recommend one of these, well worth the money.

cropwell
30-01-2023, 11:55 AM
Quick thought - check port address in Device Manager is same as entered. You probably have done that though. Forget it, I didn't read the whole thread first:stupid:

Mammers
30-01-2023, 12:29 PM
Thanks for replying anyway- that's definitely the number 1 cause of headache for this particular issue, from what I've been reading online. If anyone else is reading this with the same problem this should be your first port of call. Device manager > LPT Port 1 (or equivalent) > Resources > IO Range XXXX. It'll likely be 0378 or something like that, but not always. That then goes into Config > Ports & Pins > Port setup and axis selection. Make sure port 1 is enabled and the port address you found earlier is in there.

cropwell
30-01-2023, 05:47 PM
I grew up before Windows - an Amstrad PC1640 - I had a lot of fun getting a plotter working on that. I like LPT ports, there again I like Victorian Engineering (probably for the same reasons).I am in my comfort zone with Mach3 and XP, but when that PC packs up it may very well be GRBL. I built a laser cutter and run it on GRBL and am starting to get familiar with it. Not quite what I want for a CNC mill, but I am only an amateur hobbyist and I like doing things on the cheap.

Mammers
30-01-2023, 07:16 PM
I grew up before Windows - an Amstrad PC1640 - I had a lot of fun getting a plotter working on that. I like LPT ports, there again I like Victorian Engineering (probably for the same reasons).I am in my comfort zone with Mach3 and XP, but when that PC packs up it may very well be GRBL. I built a laser cutter and run it on GRBL and am starting to get familiar with it. Not quite what I want for a CNC mill, but I am only an amateur hobbyist and I like doing things on the cheap.

That's really interesting, I've never heard of GRBL. The amount of open-source stuff out there genuinely boggles my mind sometimes. What a time to be alive.