PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy hand scrapers for steel in UK

suspension
27-07-2023, 05:44 PM
Hi
I am looking for a place to buy hand scraper for steel in UK. Since I will only be using this for a single job (For a DIY CNC build), I prefer to spend less and sacrifice some durability. Alternatively a source for carbide scraper blades is also ok as I can make the rest.
Also, I've seen that some blades are advertised as grounded. Is this required for scraping a precision surface?

Thanks

m_c
27-07-2023, 10:51 PM
I'd suggest asking this question on the mig-welding forum, as there is somebody on there who occasionally runs scraping courses, and several people who've been on his course, so will be able to advise on where to buy the required bits.

I have looked at them in the past, but I just don't have the time for scraping anything.

I suspect by grounded, they mean ground. Any edge like this has to be ground to create the cutting edge.
Main thing required for precision, is practice/patience and a very precise suitable reference surface.

JohnHaine
28-07-2023, 08:56 AM
Make your own from an old file?

phill05
28-07-2023, 11:55 AM
PM me with a contact e-mail for me to send you some images of what I have, I am no longer going to use these so there may be one or more that you could use, I would not want a lot for them.

Phill

Neale
28-07-2023, 02:30 PM
I'm with John - old files past their use-by date are ripe candidates for scrapers. Good hard steel. Pick up cheap from car boot sale? Take the teeth off with a grinding wheel, shape and ideally hone the cutting tip to give a sharp edge. Quick look at images on Internet show square ends (like a chisel) but I've found that rounding the end helps avoid the corners digging in. You can always take the file tip to red heat and belt it with a big hammer to reshape; quench in oil (or water if you have to - I'm not a perfectionist...) and again clean up with grinder and then hone to a good edge.

mekanik
01-08-2023, 10:16 AM
Also a broken HSS saw blade, i have one brazed to a piece of copper pipe and has served me well for 40 years

mekanik
08-08-2023, 03:44 PM
https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/hand-tools/scrapers-picks-and-hooks/f/6776