PDA

View Full Version : Nema 14/nema 17 driver low torque application what driver?

Desertboy
18-12-2023, 03:44 PM
What driver do you recommend to power a Nema 14/17 I don't want to use the A4988's as this runs 24 hours a day I just don't trust they're up to it. I need good positional accuracy 0.1mm over a rotation (It's geared 4:1 so 800 steps) works I will have a home switch will I'll use to track and correct drift if it happens

But if I'm getting drift something is wrong and needs to be fixed it'll be interference.

Home is more there in case of power off I can recover where I was

It take X steps takes a photo, logs it's position to a file and then takes another X steps. I can use the log to restore to original position in case of power off

It's a timelapse BUT timed to steps NOT time

TB6600 sound OK? I don't want to spend a lot but it does need to be accurate and capable of running 24/7 for weeks at a time

It's rotating a lazy Susan, rotation rates will be very low as should torque

m_c
18-12-2023, 06:44 PM
Do the TB6600 go to low enough current for the motor?

I had planned to used TB drivers for desktop engraver, but ended up with DRV8825 drivers.
The small driver chips are fine as long as you're not pushing them to their limit.

Desertboy
19-12-2023, 07:49 AM
Do the TB6600 go to low enough current for the motor?

I had planned to used TB drivers for desktop engraver, but ended up with DRV8825 drivers.
The small driver chips are fine as long as you're not pushing them to their limit.

Hi this is the motor
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005433808105.html

TB6600 on the datasheet is 0.7amp-4amp

If I read the datasheet right the Nema 14 is 1.8amp

They sell them for 3d printer direct extruders so have more torque than average Nema 14 frame motors

I want something neat to wire too as well the little drivers how the hell do I mount them nicely???

I'm using din rail PSU's and relays to keep everything neat

So so many relays that poor little Pi.....

I have bought the listed motor I cancelled the TB6600 after watching videos of people bitching about them lol

It's just a pity i suck so hard at programming as that's going to be a bitch

m_c
20-12-2023, 11:15 PM
I ended up using a CNC shield with jumper wires to use the little drivers, but have added making a custom BOB for them on to the roundtuit list.

TB6600 drives are OK if you get genuine ones, and don't push them too hard by running near the maximum voltage.
The 'fake' ones, don't even use a TB6600 chip. You can usually tell the fake ones, as they have a 32x microstep setting, which the TB6600 chip isn't capable off.

Desertboy
31-12-2023, 11:41 AM
I ended up using a CNC shield with jumper wires to use the little drivers, but have added making a custom BOB for them on to the roundtuit list.

TB6600 drives are OK if you get genuine ones, and don't push them too hard by running near the maximum voltage.
The 'fake' ones, don't even use a TB6600 chip. You can usually tell the fake ones, as they have a 32x microstep setting, which the TB6600 chip isn't capable off.

I'm using A4988 in the end after researching I just have to make my own PCB lol

Not really that complicated I bought a PCB board from Ali, some sockets, resistors, pin headers ,etc

So I'm going to socket the A4988 before it connects to the Pi which means i can just swap another one if it fails they're cheap and I have multiple

BUT I went with them because for the kind of motor I have these give best microstep performance for resolution as long as you have more than enough torque

They also work at 3.3v for step/dir without having to wire in a transistor as the PI is 3.3v at the GPIO pins