View Full Version : Powering 5amp over USB C how do I make the cable

Desertboy
10-01-2024, 01:28 PM
I have a 10amp din rail 5v PSU I want to power a Pi 5 which wants 5amps over USB C and a few other things I want to also power, USB hub and maybe some fans but never more than 75% load

But the USB-C pinout has got me confused

Do I need to run live to all 4 power pins and gnd to all 4 ground pins to supply 5amp?

I assume this is wired in parallel right??? So they can use a smaller gauge cable

And I reading this right?

Thanks

m_c
10-01-2024, 02:09 PM
It's not that simple.
USB-C uses communication between the power supply and the device to establish the power supplies capabilities, and without that communication, the device will assume it's only being powered from a basic 5V supply.

The Pi5 documentation covers what the Pi5 expects - https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentation/computers/raspberry-pi-5.html#powering-raspberry-pi-5

However I'm surprised there's no mention about powering it via the GPIO header, and my initial search hasn't revealed any mention on whether you could simply connect 5V to the GPIO?

Desertboy
10-01-2024, 02:20 PM
You can turn PD ID off in software on the PI and it will supply the 5amp

As long as I wire it right

On the PI forums they were trying to tell me that made a 3amp cable 5amp

I told them gauge doesn't change but I think they don't get it's wired in parallel to supply the power feeds if I read it right

but I bought a decoy board from alixpress in case but I shouldn't need it

Was like $1

m_c
10-01-2024, 02:26 PM
If this is for something embedded, I'd just wire it to the GPIO, if that's still a valid option on the 5.

Saves having to handle wiring to 8 separate pins on the USB-C connector.

Desertboy
10-01-2024, 11:39 PM
If this is for something embedded, I'd just wire it to the GPIO, if that's still a valid option on the 5.

Saves having to handle wiring to 8 separate pins on the USB-C connector.

It can't supply the full 5 amp unfortunately

Desertboy
11-01-2024, 05:33 PM
It's not that simple.
USB-C uses communication between the power supply and the device to establish the power supplies capabilities, and without that communication, the device will assume it's only being powered from a basic 5V supply.

The Pi5 documentation covers what the Pi5 expects - https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentation/computers/raspberry-pi-5.html#powering-raspberry-pi-5

However I'm surprised there's no mention about powering it via the GPIO header, and my initial search hasn't revealed any mention on whether you could simply connect 5V to the GPIO?

This is my solution for now

We shall see if it works

I bought a 100w USB cable (Really 25w for 5v)

Going to cut it up route all the 4 lives to the live on the 5v PSU and all the 4 gnds to the gnd on 5v PSU and see what happens......

Or get one of these which I think might do it, I assume the solder pads are power in

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005787738126.html