PDA

View Full Version : Connectors for steppermotors....any recomendations

NICKMODELMAKER
01-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Can anyone recomend suitable connectors for stepper motors.

I want to be able to easily dissconnect the motors.

I have the 4 wire type so I guess I'll need a 5 pole connector to accomodate the screening.

The motors are rated at 6 amps.

Any ideas and names of suppliers most appreciated.

Cheers Nick.

irving2008
01-06-2010, 10:17 PM
I use these (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-4-Pin-Male-Female-Panel-Chassis-Connector-Kit-A4P-/270499194910)off ebay, good for 6A, 4 poles plus the case is the screen. They do 5 or more poles as well...

John S
01-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Since I stared fitting machine I have standardised on 4 pin XLR plugs.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Stepper-Motors/Wiring-Accessories

They are pretty universal and you are guaranteed a re supply of the same item quickly.
Also available from RS, Farnell and CPC but I think Maplins have discontinued the 4 pin ones.

Lee Roberts
02-06-2010, 02:40 AM
I can do you a bag of 10 plugs and 10 sockets for... £6 Inc p&p.

Send me a PM if you’re interested, you should note they are not the latching sockets but worked well for me.

Lee

ptjw7uk
02-06-2010, 09:00 AM
Lee those look like din sockets, I didnt think the current handling was that good!

Irving those are the ones I use but have to drill them out to take the 4 core cable I use! but they work fine.

Peter

irving2008
02-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Lee those look like din sockets, I didnt think the current handling was that good!

Irving those are the ones I use but have to drill them out to take the 4 core cable I use! but they work fine.

PeterYeah, the clamps were a tad snug but I got away with it on my 4-core as I am only running 2A per core

John S
02-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Whatever you use get good quality latching connectors, one loose plug and that's a fried driver and a load of hassle.

irving2008
02-06-2010, 09:14 AM
Whatever you use get good quality latching connectors, one loose plug and that's a fried driver and a load of hassle.

.Thats why I like my screw down ones, good positive connect that can't get pulled out... and they're cheap (a set of 3 for less than a single pair of XLR!)

Also they dont stick out as far as the XLRs!

leadinglights
02-06-2010, 08:50 PM
I have found the Lumberg screw locking DIN connectors very good. Although they are officially 5 Amp, they are so over-engineered that 6 or 7 amps souldn't faze them.http://www.rapidonline.com/productinfo.aspx?tier1URL=Cables-Connectors&tier2URL=Connectors-Multipole&tier3URL=Circular-Connectors&tier4URL=Circular-locking-multipole-connectors&moduleno=66501#techspec

Mike

routercnc
06-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Hi Nickmodelmaker,

After looking at DIN, XLR etc. I also settled on the chassis plug that Irving2008 mentioned, although I bought mine from Maplin and paid more than that ebay price :sad:. I like them because they are compact, can't fall out, and have a good current rating (for my needs). Recommended.

Barry