PDA

View Full Version : Some Gcode generating programs

Jonathan
10-01-2011, 10:48 PM
I've written a few little (and one not so little) programs to generate Gcode for some common tasks. I'll post them here gradually...

'Mad Professor' requested I make this one about half an hour ago - so here it is:

It cuts a grid of holes within specified spacings and limits. Now outputs "hole grid.nc" in the same folder as you run the program from.

Please note I don't tend to bother with error checking! Put sensible numbers in and you should be fine.

[B]Let me know if there's any little program like this you want me to write.

Mike F
11-01-2011, 12:26 AM
Just tried running your hole program and it failed to start saying salflibc.dll could not be found.

Mike

Jonathan
11-01-2011, 12:40 AM
Just tried running your hole program and it failed to start saying salflibc.dll could not be found.

Ahh, thanks for letting me know. Here it is:

Unzip and copy it to the same folder as the program or your windows/system32 folder if that doesn't work.

Mike F
11-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for that - that did the trick.

Cheers,

Mike

Mad Professor
11-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Looks like a very handy and quick program to use.

But could you also please add, Plunge Rate, and Spindle speed.

Best Regards.

M250cnc
11-01-2011, 06:49 PM
For those Mach3 users not aware Mach3 does have a hell of a lot of wizards built in.

Jonathan not dissing your efforts maybe you would be better writing wizards that are not available built in, no need to waste time reinventing the wheel.

Phil

Jonathan
11-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Looks like a very handy and quick program to use.

But could you also please add, Plunge Rate, and Spindle speed.

The feed rate it prompts for applies to plunging. I'll add the spindle stuff in a few minutes.

Jonathan not dissing your efforts maybe you would be better writing wizards that are not available built in, no need to waste time reinventing the wheel.

I didn't realise that there was a similar wizard in Mach3 until after I'd written this program!

Can you think of anything that's not already in Mach3 that you would like?

M250cnc
11-01-2011, 07:53 PM
I didn't realise that there was a similar wizard in Mach3 until after I'd written this program!

Not me personally I don't use the wizards but thanks for the offer.

If your at a loose end look on the Mach3 forum for any that are wanted, if you can do you will become very popular.

Phil

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Jonathan
14-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Well here's something that's not in the Mach3 wizards...indeed someone charges for a very similar program.

4 axis Gcode generator for XL timing pulleys. Mills the trapezoidal tooth profile using small endmill. A axis is used to rotate pulley allowing the 25 degree angles to be milled for the precise tool profile. Needs 1.3mm or less endmill for XL...I've got a 1mm.

Consider this an alpha release. I see no reason for it not to work, the gcode looks fine in mach 3 (be sure to set the A rotations display and the A offset to the radius of your pulley) however I have not tried it on my milling machine yet! Again, no error checking yet!!

I've coded it so that all the dimensions are calculated from the few dimensions that define the trapezium (lots of trigonometry & scribbling)- so I can easily add other pulleys such as metric T series aswell as L, MXL etc...if anyone's interested.

(I know a form tool would be a quiker way of making these, but that's difficult to grind.)

Mike F
15-01-2011, 12:26 AM
Hi Jonathan,

Have you looked at Gearotic, a program being developed by Art (founder of Mach). He uses similar methods for cutting spur, helical and bevel gears and includes some pulleys too. Take a look http://gearotic.com/, it's a work of art - pun intentional :) There's also an excellent forum.

Mike

Jonathan
15-01-2011, 12:30 AM
Have you looked at Gearotic, a program being developed by Art (founder of Mach). He uses similar methods for cutting spur, helical and bevel gears and includes some pulleys too. Take a look http://gearotic.com/, it's a work of art - pun intentional :) There's also an excellent forum.

Yes I've seen that, it does look good. Only problem is it costs money!

I guess I could add gears to this program...start with simple involute spur gears and work up.

RedDan
02-05-2011, 05:50 PM
The feed rate it prompts for applies to plunging. I'll add the spindle

Hi Jonathan,

One change or add on that I am keen to get for mach 3 is the ability to centre text. The current wizard has all kinds of fonts and settings which is great but lacks the ability to centre/resize text to a given size box.

I want to use Mach 3 for more engraving and this is holding me back. Would this be possible?

Dan

blackburn mark
02-06-2011, 02:04 PM
hi jonathan.... with regards to your XL pully g-code gen :) i was wondering if you could mod it (you gave the impression you could change it whilst eating a kebab n watching telly :)

iv ground an engraving tool to cut my tooth shape (sincroflex 2.5) and thats cutting well enough to give it a whirl
its a 2.5mm pitch with 0.7mm deapth.... im looking to plunge in to my pully from the top takeing two cuts per slot

i know your a busy dude so no problems if you cant fit it in

mark xxx

Jonathan
02-06-2011, 07:40 PM
hi jonathan.... with regards to your XL pully g-code gen :) i was wondering if you could mod it (you gave the impression you could change it whilst eating a kebab n watching telly :)

iv ground an engraving tool to cut my tooth shape (sincroflex 2.5) and thats cutting well enough to give it a whirl
its a 2.5mm pitch with 0.7mm deapth.... im looking to plunge in to my pully from the top takeing two cuts per slot

I'll do it now. Hopefully I've understood you...

Jonathan
02-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Here it is (written in the car on the way back from grandparents, had to wait til now to get internet)... send me the Gcode if you want before running it and I'll check its not done anything too silly. Should be ok though...

I've included an example Gcode file with the numbers you gave. Let me know how it goes.

blackburn mark
04-06-2011, 06:53 PM
written in the car on the way back from grandparents

Smart arse !!!!!

nice one jonathan :) ill give it a go and report back as soon as i get the chance :)

Jonathan
04-06-2011, 10:56 PM
I couldn't look it up at the time, so left it so you could enter the distance between the pitch diameter and pulley surface. For T5 you want to enter 0.5mm.

(Source: http://www.sdp-si.com/D265/HTML/D265T016.html )

blackburn mark
10-06-2011, 10:43 PM
YeeeeeHaaaaw !!!!

thats a winner jonathan

i guess you have your 4th parrallel to your X axis
i have to edit the g-code for Y axis but its still saving me a shit load of effort :)
cheers man xxxx

Jonathan
10-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Yes I set it up for an A axis not B. I think the easiest way for you to change it is just swap the X and Y pins on the parallel port in mach3. Then your B axis magically becomes an A! I'll look if I can easily get the program to swap.

Glad to hear it's working otherwise. Any pictures?

blackburn mark
10-06-2011, 11:42 PM
ill try to get some video up of the next one i cut :)

navins
28-02-2014, 07:58 AM
You can try grz software OR Grab Cad