PDA

View Full Version : Best CNC Software Combination

Ricardoco
27-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Hi All a different question from me this time, I currently use Mach3 & Vcarve Pro as my main CNC Mill software Combination, Now what would you suggest for my CNC lathe to go with Mach3....

I would like something as intuitive as Vcarve if at all possible...:confused:

This will be the first major project but as you can see it is only a concept drawing at the moment.:idea:

I will of course be doing some simple stuff first to get used to the software you help me choose...:naughty:

So the question is if you use Mach3 on your lathe what software do you use with it..

Rick

Jonathan
27-08-2011, 06:03 PM
The only software I have used for CNC turning is notepad, but then I've only done it a couple of times - this is one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wGDMSiZpyg

What is the part you've drawn for? It looks simple enough to do an a manual lathe...

Ricardoco
27-08-2011, 06:14 PM
What is the part you've drawn for? It looks simple enough to do an a manual lathe...

It is a simple air ram for my ATC but the main body needs to be repeatable to a resonable level of accuracy. Its a Stacking design

the more pressure you require the more cylinders and pistons you bolt on..

Jonathan
27-08-2011, 06:19 PM
I see, that explains a lot.
Clearly it depends how many you need to make - there's no reason for it not to be precise on a manual lathe...just obviously takes a bit longer.

Ricardoco
27-08-2011, 06:41 PM
I see, that explains a lot.
Clearly it depends how many you need to make - there's no reason for it not to be precise on a manual lathe...just obviously takes a bit longer.

I think i could make 1 no problems but a few of my friends have seen my ATC plans and they all want one so i just dont have the time to stand there pushing them out..

Ricardoco
28-08-2011, 04:16 AM
I think i could make 1 no problems but a few of my friends have seen my ATC plans and they all want one so i just dont have the time to stand there pushing them out..

Thats Given me an idea....

Ok is there a way of recording me making the first piece and then switching it over to auto repeat.

C'Mon where is all the knowlege im used to seeing on this site...

John S
28-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Second screen on Mach, the MDI screen.
Press Teach then do all your commands using the MDI input, when finished press Stop Teach.

Then go to C:\Mach3\Gcode and there will be a file called Teach.tap Rename this file to waht you want as next time you use teach it will over write it, it always calls the file teach.tap.

That's it but you may have to do a couple of tries to get used to Teach, remember that it remembers accurately what you are doing, if you forget to start the spindle on the first try it will not start the spindle when you run the file !

Jonathan
28-08-2011, 10:23 AM
If you're going to do it with the MDI screen you might as well just write the Gcode in notepad to start with. I think that's a safer option as you'll notice on the toolpath display if it's going to hit the chuck or something...
It's all straight lines so should be straightforward. Advantage of doing it yourself is you can do the most efficient toolpath.

Ricardoco
28-08-2011, 11:12 AM
If you're going to do it with the MDI screen you might as well just write the Gcode in notepad to start with. I think that's a safer option as you'll notice on the toolpath display if it's going to hit the chuck or something...
It's all straight lines so should be straightforward. Advantage of doing it yourself is you can do the most efficient toolpath.

It like anything else really, G-Code is not as easy for me as it is you, the thought of doing the code in notepad gives me nightmares!!!:surprised::surprised::surprised::sur prised:

As for using the MDI input, that dosnt fill me with relish either. on this way of doing things you guys are way ahead of me for sure.:rolleyes:

I guess its back to a software solution then but which one....

John S
28-08-2011, 11:59 AM
About the only decent lathe program I have seen is Dolphin.

Many software writers treat lathe as a two axis mill when in fact it isn't, believe it or not lathe is far harder.
On a mill the cutting tip of a cutter is on the corner and can be mapped very accurately. On a lathe the cutting edge is inside the theoretical corner to take into account the tool nose radius and as you work round a radius on the work this point is constantly changing.

On most jobs that are just 'shapes' this doesn't matter but a good software must take this into account, most don't.

This is an interesting read.

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCCNCGCodeMillCAMForLathes.htm

Ricardoco
28-08-2011, 06:55 PM
About the only decent lathe program I have seen is Dolphin.

Many software writers treat lathe as a two axis mill when in fact it isn't, believe it or not lathe is far harder.
On a mill the cutting tip of a cutter is on the corner and can be mapped very accurately. On a lathe the cutting edge is inside the theoretical corner to take into account the tool nose radius and as you work round a radius on the work this point is constantly changing.

On most jobs that are just 'shapes' this doesn't matter but a good software must take this into account, most don't.

This is an interesting read.

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCCNCGCodeMillCAMForLathes.htm

Well im impressed with the dolphin demo but i dont know of any others so cant make any real comments or make any comparisons, Mind you if it turns out to do the job what the hell.. (Good Grief!!! thats not cheap thogh is it) and thanks for the extra info its making good reading....

Thanks John

i2i
28-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Four g-codes are all you need, remember we had this conversation.

Ricardoco
29-08-2011, 12:57 AM
Four g-codes are all you need, remember we had this conversation.

Did we? Hmmm let me have a look at my notes.... Hey been away for the weekend have you??