PDA

View Full Version : NEW MEMBER: New Member with a 3040 CNC

Tug
21-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Hello

I'm a new member and have an interest in CNC Router for carving purposes. I have purchased a 3040 CNC from 'China'. With this I'm using Delcam ArtCAM Express CADCAM software. I have a previous precision engineering background but it's been a while!

I'm currently going through all the machine, Mach3 and ArtCAM manuals, prior to commissioning it. I would appreciate any advice from members with a similar set up to advise me and warn me of potential mistakes.

I am currently thinking of adding a physical emergency stop button to the machine and would welcome replies from anyone who has installed one.

Over to you.

Regards

Tug

Web Goblin
21-09-2011, 08:16 PM
An Estop is a must I would say. You dont want to be messing about with a mouse trying to select an icon in an emergency when a nice simple big red button will do the job nicely.

Ian

Tug
22-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Thanks Ian. I was wondering can you give me any leads on supply and fit or other information on the Estop button?

John S
23-09-2011, 01:11 AM
Pictures of inside the box would be nice.

BTW I'm just waiting confirmation of an order to do a 1,000 brass nameplates with logo's and I'll be ordering one of the 6040 models as a back up to the Techno Isel router I already have

Web Goblin
23-09-2011, 06:44 AM
Unfortunately I'm not familiar with your machine so don't know about connecting an estop. Most machines will have a set of connectors for adding an estop. If you have any wiring diagrams look for estop connections. Most component suppliers will be able to sell you an estop button. Try rs components or farnell. You have a few different types of estop button. Pick one that latches when you press it. This means that you have to twist it to release it. You can get them supplied in an enclosure or seperate so that you can fit them into your own box or panel. If you have a look at my build log there is a photo of one I fitted to my own enclosure. Don't get a key release estop, those are just a pain.

Regards

Ian

John S
24-09-2011, 12:30 AM
Tug,
Can you give me some info on your 3040 router please ?
i have been looking at the 3040 and the 6040 but according to the blurb they are very similar in size. I thought the 3040 was 300mm x 400mm and the 6040 was 600mm x 400mm

Also confused as regards spindle motor, they say they come with VFD but some pics show a brushed motor and sapre brushes in the box.

Also speed is 3,000 to 9,000 what with a 400 hz water cooled motor it should be up to 24,000.

Tug
25-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Thanks for getting in touch John. And thanks for the offer of helping to commission, I may take you up on that.

Tug

Tug
26-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Hi john I did send an email yesterday did you get t?

tug