PDA

View Full Version : Changing folder permissions

motoxy
04-02-2012, 05:09 PM
have we any computer geniuses here? I am trying to save a file in a folder that I can read but not write to. I am the administrator but when I try to edit the permissions the options are greyed out and it says I have to see the administrator.

Any clues/

Bruce

bigdazza18
04-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Which operating system are you using? I am assuming windows. Who created the folder because if it was created with your user account you may need to take ownership of the folder.

Swarfing
04-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Bruce sounds like the folder is sitting in root. move it to a higher level

Jonathan
04-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Do you mean like I get in this screenshot (grey tick)? If so then do 1,2,3...

If not, which version of Windows are you using?

motoxy
04-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Hi jonathan

Yup thats it except that it does not let me do step 3 to check the boxes. Its as if i was not the administrator.

Bruce

motoxy
04-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Bruce sounds like the folder is sitting in root. move it to a higher level
Thanks 2e0....etc
I would try that but it is the internal folder and i think will have to stay where it is to be accessed by the program.
Bruce

John S
04-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Save the file to my document folder and then copy the file to the folder you want to write it to. I'm gussing that it's in the programs folder or one of the systems folders on a windows vitsa or 7 machine. Other option is to run the program as administrator by right clicking on the program icon and selecting run as administrator.

A dread feature of UAC but it helps stops most scripts killing your computer.

BTW this is John.S's small son.

motoxy
04-02-2012, 11:28 PM
Thanks john s small son, guess thats John SSS then.
I will check that out tomorrow. And if you are less than 10 years old you have probably solved it.:joker:

Bruce (probably a lot older than John s)