PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Mill Design on Hackaday

epninety
17-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Saw this posted on Hackaday, thought it worth mentioning here...

Self Replicating Milling Machine (http://blogs.sccs.swarthmore.edu/julianleland/engineering/academic-projects/e90-senior-design-self-replicating-mill/)

Not sure I'm qualified to have any sort of opinion but workpiece access is a bit restricted, and I can imagine any flex or vibration having odd effects due to the structure.

- Dave

russell
17-05-2012, 08:17 PM
If using the X2 mill head and column why not use the whole thing? I don't like the idea of using the rack and pinion for the Z. It must give no end of problems with the backlash.

Russell

magicniner
01-03-2014, 01:27 PM
Looking back at this and reading the blog -

"This chatter eventually became so serious that some screws which I had failed to tighten fully began to back themselves out."

:-O

stirling
01-03-2014, 04:04 PM
I don't get the "self replicate" bit. Not the spindle - not the slides nor the carriages. Not the racks - not the screws - not even the square bar - not the sweet FA apart from maybe the odd bracket.:confusion:

magicniner
01-03-2014, 05:10 PM
I don't get the "self replicate" bit. Not the spindle - not the slides nor the carriages. Not the racks - not the screws - not even the square bar - not the sweet FA apart from maybe the odd bracket.:confusion:

Hey,
He'll have a great degree by now and will be telling mere mortals to make parts with a 2mm blind hole at right angles at the bottom of a 100mm deeep 4mm hole ;-)