PDA

View Full Version : Supported rails and ballscrew / Different hights

dudz
02-01-2013, 09:20 PM
Ok.... I bought a set of 25mm supported rails and bearings from Chai on Ebay to replace my 25mm unsupported rails (fantastic service and Fast shipping). Problem I have is : I mounted the rails on my aluminium profile either side of the 16mm ballscrew (make unknown but looks like Hiwin in google pictures). The top of the "T" plate (I call it) that is fastened to the ballnut ends up 3mm higher than the top of the rail bearing blocks. Is this a common problem ? or can I buy a lower T plate for the ballscrew ?. I would mill it down, but obviously I cannot, and I do not have a big enough belt sander. I really would hate to put packers under the rails.

78517852and before you ask....yes all the balls fell out. ah well I'm confident I will get them in (without looking first)

Ricardoco
03-01-2013, 02:41 AM
I really would hate to put packers under the rails.

and before you ask....yes all the balls fell out. ah well I'm confident I will get them in (without looking first) Ok but have you thought of putting the packers on top of the bearing blocks? seems it would be much easier and 3mm Ali plate can be got, cut, and drilled real easy... as for the balls coming out I've got that T-Shirt as well...TWICE!!! its no big deal if you have the balls LOL (all of them I mean), there are a few threads on here that will show how its done.. Good luck Rick

dudz
03-01-2013, 10:17 PM
I got some packers, and I was about to use them like you said on top of the bearing blocks. Meanwhile I searched the net, with a code that was on the ballnut. It turns out it is made by a company called "Vertex Precision". I measured the height from the center of the ballscrew to the top of my ballnut mount and done the same for the supported rail centers to the top of the bearing blocks....strange, they worked out the same. I just had a quick check on the level of the aluminium profiles where they all meet on the X axis, there is a slight difference end to end. I did not build this machine in the first place, and I have already squared up the ballscrew, which was 16mm out from one end to the other over 800mm ! . So hopefully after I strip the profiles down and build it all back up again, everything will sit as it should.

Ricardoco
04-01-2013, 05:03 AM
I got some packers, and I was about to use them like you said on top of the bearing blocks. Meanwhile I searched the net, with a code that was on the ballnut. It turns out it is made by a company called "Vertex Precision". I measured the height from the center of the ballscrew to the top of my ballnut mount and done the same for the supported rail centers to the top of the bearing blocks....strange, they worked out the same. I just had a quick check on the level of the aluminium profiles where they all meet on the X axis, there is a slight difference end to end. I did not build this machine in the first place, and I have already squared up the ballscrew, which was 16mm out from one end to the other over 800mm ! . So hopefully after I strip the profiles down and build it all back up again, everything will sit as it should.Its nice to see someone having a bit of luck for a change LOL Just your balls to sort now..

Rick

dudz
04-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Got the bearings in no probs...which was good considering my eye sight isnt what it used to be.
Looks like I am going to end up replacing 75% of what was on the machine in the first place. I have already replaced the Z plate,Spindle, cutting table, X axis rails, and I have ordered more Alumunium profiles to strengthen up the whole machine.