PDA

View Full Version : how to fill/paint letters that i have engraved in wood ?

cockneyrebel
21-03-2013, 10:24 PM
hi could someone please advise me on how to paint letters that i have engraved into mfd but the letters are only 15mm high tho.the face of the mdf will be pick and the letters will be black.if someone could make some suggestions on how i could do this i would appreciate it thanks Tom

Lee Roberts
21-03-2013, 10:50 PM
Hi Tom,

I would paint it all pink first then pick out / fill in / paint the letters with a small brush.

If you need to do a batch of these then i would look at making a set of stencils and a jig, i would still paint them all pink first but having a reverse stencil would mean you could airbrush the letters much faster.

.Me

Ricardoco
21-03-2013, 11:25 PM
hi could someone please advise me on how to paint letters that i have engraved into mfd but the letters are only 15mm high tho.the face of the mdf will be pick and the letters will be black.if someone could make some suggestions on how i could do this i would appreciate it thanks Tom

8534Hi Tom, when you say "engraved into MDF" did you mean the letters stand out or are engraved into the MDF forming letter shaped pockets..

Regards Rick

cockneyrebel
21-03-2013, 11:54 PM
hi Rick i mean engraved in the mdf as i say the letters are about 15-20 high and about 3mm wide and 2mm deep

Swarfing
22-03-2013, 12:25 AM
paint in the letters first, when dry use a gloss paint roller with little paint on it and roll over the top with very light roller motion, do as many coats to look good

ptjw7uk
22-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Best to paint the mdf before you engrave it as then when you fill in the black it will not bleed into the pink!
If you use a resin paint you could fill the 2mm up with the black.

Peter

dsc
22-03-2013, 12:07 PM
I think standard procedures for painting text like this is to use a syringe, needle and ink to fill the letter 'pockets'. Mind you this is on metal, so in your case I would paint the piece with waterproof paint to stop the ink sinking into the MDF and when everything is dry, use the ink method.

Regards,
dsc.

martin54
22-03-2013, 01:11 PM
I think standard procedures for painting text like this is to use a syringe, needle and ink to fill the letter 'pockets'. Mind you this is on metal, so in your case I would paint the piece with waterproof paint to stop the ink sinking into the MDF and when everything is dry, use the ink method.

Regards,
dsc.

Don't know about infilling letters with ink but it was certainly done infilling the letters with paint, normally something like "One Shot" which is a traditional signwritting paint. Once the piece had dried it was then buffed & polished to ensure that it was flat & any high spots in the paint were removed.
MDF is porous so I would think it would need to be sealed in some way before any painting.

cockneyrebel
22-03-2013, 01:25 PM
thanks to everyone who replayed to me i have ago and see the best way to do this and let you know which way is best

D-man
26-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Hey fella, just spotted this video it's towards the end that will give you an idea how to do it. But I found the whole video very interesting.... http://blog.ponoko.com/2011/05/27/brilliant-new-multi-material-desks-from-because-we-can/

JayPunchbuggy
26-03-2013, 06:55 PM
thanks to everyone who replayed to me i have ago and see the best way to do this and let you know which way is best

Would masking tape help? How about:

Paint the board pink and allow to dry
Cover the pink paint with masking tape
Engrave (through the maskingtape)
Paint the black letters with a brush or spray paint. (surface is protected by cut through tape)
Remove masking tape

Don't know, have not tried this, but it seems like it might just work.

Cheers,
-Jay

martin54
26-03-2013, 11:21 PM
Not so sure that would work Jay, masking tape doesn't always cut that cleanly so you could end up with lots of jagged edges plus it is likely to lift a little leading to dust under the edges. Not tried it either but can see those 2 things being a problem, stencil mask would probably work better as it tends to cut much better but that would be quite a bit more expensive.