PDA

View Full Version : RFQ: CNC Routers and Milling Machine Set-up

oosk2k6
02-04-2013, 03:12 PM
Hey guys

I have 3 CNC Routers [2 Large, 1 Small, all HME Technology R-50s], and 1 CNC Milling Machine [Wabeco CC-F1210], but no software. The official software is inaccessible i.e. the companies do not distribute them anymore. My understanding is that some parts will need to be replaced to enable the machines work with third party software.

I will pay handsomely for each machine that is up and running successfully. I am based on the Wirral.

I have attached some photographs of the machines, but feel free to ask questions.

Cheers, much appreciated!! :)

Swarfing
02-04-2013, 03:23 PM
i believe all those machines use steppers so all you should need is stepper drivers for each motor and a breakout board (BOB). You will ten be free to use Mach or LinuxCNC or any other software of your choice.

Philly
02-04-2013, 03:33 PM
Where on the wirral are you mate, I'm in B'head :)

oosk2k6
02-04-2013, 03:37 PM
i believe all those machines use steppers so all you should need is stepper drivers for each motor and a breakout board (BOB). You will ten be free to use Mach or LinuxCNC or any other software of your choice.

Cheers for the reply. The difficult part is choosing the appropriate stepper driver/breakout board. Installing it should be easy.. relatively. I am essentially looking for someone to initially set-up the software as well. I have had a look at Mach3/LazyCAM etc but to no avail.

Cheers

Philly
02-04-2013, 03:43 PM
I'd go with a Gecko 540 unit, it contains the breakout and 4 drivers and is a good well known system. The initial setup wouldn't be too hard either. Get one for each machine and you're ready to go but the chinese stuff isn't too bad either, it just depends on your budget.

oosk2k6
02-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Hey dude. You sure that a Gecko 540 unit will be compatible with Mach 3? I'm a fan of trial and error, but those units aren't cheap. So long as they will work with the software, the cost isn't too much considering the machines were acquired virtually brand new for very little cost. The machines are in Wallasey :)

Cheers

Philly
02-04-2013, 04:05 PM
It'll work fine with Mach3. I'm no expert but I managed to get my chinese boards running with no documentation so if you want to tackle the problem yourself I can swing by and help out, just provide the coffee :D

Swarfing
02-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Good on ya Phil, the Gecko makes for a simpler install. Grab the info from the motors first though before splashing out. Pics of the electronics would be helpful too, you may have everything you need in the first place. Even some proprietary (mostly not) will work with Mach3 and LinuxCNC. Do they use the parallel port for connection?

oosk2k6
02-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Oh ok cool ye the connection is the old-style printer Parallel port.

Cheers

martin54
02-04-2013, 08:43 PM
If your looking for advice on what drivers to fit then the first thing to do is let people know what motors are fitted. Just post the details on the motor plate & I'm sure some of the more experienced guys will be happy to suggest what drives to use & any other parts you may need.
Software wise what have you got already & how quick do you want the machine to be working? Reason I ask is because although there is some ok free software about some of it doesn't have a lot of support & can take time to get your head round.
You will need cad, cam & machine control software.

oosk2k6
05-07-2013, 01:31 PM
Bump. I am still looking for someone with sufficient knowledge of these machines and CAD/CAM to set them up.

I am willing to pay handsomely for each machine that is set-up. I am based in Wallasey on the Wirral.

Cheers, much appreciated!!

martin54
05-07-2013, 02:38 PM
Can you get at the motors, as I said previously what drivers you fit will generally be dependant on what motors are fitted. The motors should have a plate on them with all the info, if you can post the motor details it will be easier for someone to help.

i2i
05-07-2013, 06:01 PM
there's a fair chance you could use the existing control system with a few tweaks, mach will interface with just about any step and direction system. I'm based in Cardiff, if you could get the machines here I could sort them. I could possibly call in and give them a look over, but it's a fair run up to you.
I would probably need them here to convert though, depends on the existing control system.
Looking at the pics, I would have thought the conversions would be pretty straight forward.