PDA

View Full Version : A silly question on tapped holes

Philly
11-04-2013, 07:49 PM
If I have a M10 hole thats been tapped, should I be able to put the bolt in either side or just the side it was tapped from. Never dealt with tapping until now :D

Phil

Jonathan
11-04-2013, 07:55 PM
If you've tapped it all the way through with a plug tap, then definitely not a problem. If it's only been cut with a taper tap, then the thread may be incomplete toward the bottom of the hole, which would impede inserting the bolt from that side.

Clive S
11-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Either way its just like a nut.. Clive

Philly
11-04-2013, 08:14 PM
I had to google it but it looks more like a plug. The bolt goes in fine from the tapped side but needs a spanner to turn the other way, should I just keep pushing or am I missing something?

Jonathan
11-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Look carefully at the thread. Does it look to be tapped to the same depth at both ends and check there's not a significant burr on the difficult side.

martin54
11-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Are you tapping these holes yourself? If you are tapping yourself do you have a set of 3 taps or are you using just one tap? If you are using a taper or second then you will need to run it almost all the way through to ensure you cut the full thread depth right through the hole.