PDA

View Full Version : Proximity sensor help required

plasticsales
19-08-2013, 06:58 PM
Can someone help me, I am using a PLCM BOB is states 12 V for the switches. I am trying to use PNP type NO 6 to 36 volt proximity sensors.
I have determined that I need to add a resistor to the signal on the BOB.

Can someone help me to determine the size resistor I should used and confirm that PNP types should be connected to the input signal.

Thank you for looking

kingcreaky
20-08-2013, 01:28 PM
I think what your saying is your bob wants a 12v high/low, but the switch is 36v? so you need to make a 12v high/low based on a 36v signal?

Im not sure that is the actual problem, but incase it is, perhaps one of these is the kid for the gig?

http://www.alliedelec.com/Images/Products/DataSheets/BM/NTE_ELECTRONICS/70214711.pdf

looks like rs sell them?

Buy Linear Voltage Regulators Voltage Regulator; 50 W @ degC; 10 mV (Typ.); 80 mV (Typ.); 60 dB (Typ.) NTE Electronics NTE1936 online from RS for next day delivery. (http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/linear-voltage-regulators/2508956658/)

Clive S
20-08-2013, 01:57 PM
I think what your saying is your bob wants a 12v high/low, but the switch is 36v? so you need to make a 12v high/low based on a 36v signal?

I read it as the switch will run between 6V and 36V ..Clive

Jonathan
20-08-2013, 05:42 PM
I read it as the switch will run between 6V and 36V ..Clive

That's correct. The issue here is that the sensor output will be open collector, so it can't source current. You therefore have to add a pull-up resistor in. The value isn't critical, I expect something like 4.7k would be fine.

irving2008
20-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Careful here... the switch type is PNP, BOBs are generally -ve ground, so its not a pull-up resistor but a load resistor.

The only manual I can find online for the PLCM says inputs are 5v CMOS buffered, no indication of whether opto-isolated or not. What PLCM BOB have you got and where does it say 12v??

Assuming the input is not opto-isolated then need two load resistors in series of 1k and 470R

plasticsales
21-08-2013, 12:24 AM
Careful here... the switch type is PNP, BOBs are generally -ve ground, so its not a pull-up resistor but a load resistor.

The only manual I can find online for the PLCM says inputs are 5v CMOS buffered, no indication of whether opto-isolated or not. What PLCM BOB have you got and where does it say 12v??

Assuming the input is not opto-isolated then need two load resistors in series of 1k and 470R

Thanks everyone for replying, just to recap yes it is a 6 volt to 36 volt switch.

So much conflicting advise, re use of pull up resistor.

yes is PNP type, manual link is here http://www.zappautomation.co.uk/en/attachment.php?id_attachment=165

shows 12 volt on diagram fig 4 limit switches connection.

Am I better off getting different proximity switches if so can you recommend.
different voltage?
here is blurb from manual.

Limit switches connection
PLCM-B1 has 15 inputs for XP-26-XP40 switches connection.
Physically each input is optocouple with built-in transition resistor
(1 KOhm, depending on sensor type and sensor supply voltage the
increase in resistance is probably required). This construction of
optoisolated inputs allows to connect any sensors to module and
provides driver optoisolation from sensors.
Optoisolated inputs states are translated to CNC MACH3
program and are indicated by LED14-LED28 according to fig.2.
External LEDs connection is provided by XP41-XP55.
Simple contact switches (buttons) and non-contact sensors
(inductive, capacitive) of PLL01 type (inductive non-contact sensor)
can be connected to the module. Connection is accomplished
according to fig.2. Separate power supply unit with necessary
voltage is strongly recommended to use for sensors supply.
12V module supply can be used in an extreme case (in this case
optoisolation will not be).

plasticsales (Mark)

irving2008
21-08-2013, 09:01 AM
Ok, the diagram I show is correct but omit R2 and connect the proximity switch output to INx+ and connect INx- to ground. Make the value of R1 anything between 0 (ie a direct connection) and 470R assuming a 12v supply, its not that critical. More than 12v will need higher value. You can use the 12v output from the BOB but then you get no opto-isolation. Do you have any other power supply on the machine side?

Note the proximity switch connection shown in fig4 in the manual is for an NPN switch.

plasticsales
21-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Ok, the diagram I show is correct but omit R2 and connect the proximity switch output to INx+ and connect INx- to ground. Make the value of R1 anything between 0 (ie a direct connection) and 470R assuming a 12v supply, its not that critical. More than 12v will need higher value. You can use the 12v output from the BOB but then you get no opto-isolation. Do you have any other power supply on the machine side?

Note the proximity switch connection shown in fig4 in the manual is for an NPN switch.

I am using a separate 12 volt power supply.

Thank you for your help I will have to order 470R I have some 1/2 watt 10K and 1.5K resistors.

irving2008
21-08-2013, 11:52 AM
I am using a separate 12 volt power supply.

Thank you for your help I will have to order 470R I have some 1/2 watt 10K and 1.5K resistors.

I'd not bother and connect the sensor direct to INx+ since it already has 1k internally on the BOB.

plasticsales
21-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Done that and works without resistor.
What it does do

Both the leds on sensor and BOB light up when the switch senses.
Mach3 says limit reached and stops motor.
All good

What it does not do is show led on mach3 screen, only a quick flash and the led on the screen does not stay on, is this due to the resistor?

I am getting 0 volt and then 12 volt when switch is activated, will a resistor reduce this voltage to 5 volt and then show in Mach3 screen?

irving2008
21-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Nope, the resistor has nothing to do with what Mach3 displays.

Gary
21-08-2013, 04:31 PM
This is normal if using the PLCM motion controller with mach 3.
It is because if you hit the limit the controller goes into estop condition and stops talking to mach 3.
Once you hit the reset switch it will start talking to mach 3 again.
You may need to jog off the limit though, so you should press "auto limits override" button before reset.

plasticsales
21-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Thanks Gary for this info, Still not got the servo working will finish all the mechanical work first then will start to send you the screen prints.

Thanks everyone for all your help.