PDA

View Full Version : The Nomad CNC Mill on kickstarter

deadmeat30
05-05-2014, 12:37 AM
Hey all,

While looking around kickstarter, i saw this CNC milling machine. Looks rather niffty, but then again, i know very little on these things!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/178590870/the-nomad-cnc-mill

regards,

Alan

Lee Roberts
05-05-2014, 04:10 AM
I'm having to seriously bite my tung on this...

Have a good read and viewing of the gantry build log section on these forums, pay particular attention to the physical requirements of such machines for them to be even considered as meeting the abilities of a milling machine.

.Me

mekanik
05-05-2014, 09:31 AM
It's also silly money $2500

Robin Hewitt
05-05-2014, 09:32 AM

Is that the American spelling? :joker:

One gusset does not turn a piece of box section in to a Rock-Solid Aluminum Frame, or Aluminium either for that matter. I don't think Jazz was consulted during the design phase, it looks more arty farty than engineered

The clever bit is the bend in the Perspex lid. I have never managed to kink Perspex without making it go all blobby and twisted looking.

JAZZCNC
05-05-2014, 10:14 AM

YOUR having to bite your Tongue. !!!!! (spelt correctly just for Robin)

IN one sentance it's OVERPRICED CRAP (Feel safe I won't get banned for saying that this time. . Lol)

Neale
05-05-2014, 10:30 AM
But it comes with cutters ground from genuine American carbide! That must make it lots better, no?

Robin Hewitt
05-05-2014, 12:05 PM
But it comes with cutters ground from genuine American carbide! That must make it lots better, no?

That's another thing that puzzles me. When I was a nipper, carbide meant tungsten carbide, or wolfram carbide if you were foreign.

It now seems to mean iron carbide, which confuses me because surely iron carbide is what we called "steel".

Carbon steel cutters are considered seriously third rate, but how can you have steel without carbon? Isn't steel an alloy of iron and carbon? Perhaps carbon steel is an abbreviation for high carbon steel.

I suspect carbide may mean some clever steel alloy with a fancy fine grain structure that doesn't hold flaws easily? Called carbide because it is reminiscent of the good old tungsten product. A bit like calling graphite, Graphene to make it sound all modern and trendy.

Jonathan
05-05-2014, 12:38 PM
YOUR having to bite your Tongue. !!!!! (spelt correctly just for Robin)

IN one sentance it's

I never thought I'd see Jazz correcting someone's spelling! Oh and just for Robin, it's "you're" not "your" and "sentence" not "sentance".
How can we be sure he's not biting one of these:

OVERPRICED CRAP (Feel safe I won't get banned for saying that this time. . Lol)

No, it's clearly worse than that. It almost manages to make the CNCdudez router look worthwhile.

Neale
05-05-2014, 01:00 PM
That's another thing that puzzles me. When I was a nipper, carbide meant tungsten carbide, or wolfram carbide if you were foreign.

It now seems to mean iron carbide, which confuses me because surely iron carbide is what we called "steel".

Carbon steel cutters are considered seriously third rate, but how can you have steel without carbon? Isn't steel an alloy of iron and carbon? Perhaps carbon steel is an abbreviation for high carbon steel.

I suspect carbide may mean some clever steel alloy with a fancy fine grain structure that doesn't hold flaws easily? Called carbide because it is reminiscent of the good old tungsten product. A bit like calling graphite, Graphene to make it sound all modern and trendy.
I thought that it still meant tungsten carbide. Not sure that it's quite correct to talk about steel as an iron carbide as it's more of a physical mix than a chemical compound. Silver steel is around 1% carbon, I think? Definitely inferior to, say, high-speed steels for cutting tools but it depends what you are doing. I've made things like a T-slot cutter for T-slots too small for standard commercial cutters from silver steel, and for one-off jobs they work fine even cutting mild steel. But, of course, American carbide is the best sort. Unless you come from Sheffield? Or do they just make steel? Now stands back while all the metallurgists and chemists out there sharpen their darts...

What the hell, the tools are probably the best bit of this "so quiet you can use it on your coffee table" router!

magicniner
05-05-2014, 01:08 PM
I like the "Rock_Solid Aluminium Frame" coupled with the failure to mention the "Bendy-Wendy Round Rails" ;-)

longy
05-05-2014, 02:12 PM
I did not know you could be banned for being HONEST Dean, but I have to totally agree it's CRAP LOL

longy
05-05-2014, 02:17 PM
I like the "Rock_Solid Aluminium Frame" coupled with the failure to mention the "Bendy-Wendy Round Rails" ;-)
You forgot to mention the bendy Bamboo or HDPE never mind the rails. LOL

gavztheouch
05-05-2014, 02:34 PM

Or the "Stretchy wetchy" Belts.

Lee Roberts
05-05-2014, 03:28 PM
Hi,

I feel I need to step in here before this thread becomes something it shouldn’t be.

Please feel free to discuss this machine, what you consider to be less than ideal in terms of how it has been designed (mechanical construction) but also what you consider could be improvements.

Comments in the form of “overpriced crap” and “crap” are not acceptable and should not be supported, if you have any doubt of what is and isn’t acceptable when using these forums please take the time to familiarize yourself with the current Community & Forum Guidelines (http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/announcement.php?a=4).

The guys behind this project have clearly tried to bring a product to the table that fills a gap, as with most things there is always room for improvement. This machine is clearly capable, as demonstrated in the Kick-starter presentation, please keep in mind that the people behind this project/product can only strive to do the best they can and within their abilities.

As such, both they and their product shouldn’t be ridiculed, their efforts should be supported and encouraged.

Richard
22-05-2014, 07:35 PM
Interesting that this so called P.O.S. got funded to the tune of over $400,000!

Surely a golden opportunity for someone to come up with a 'proper' machine for half the price....

On another note, the Taktia is a real clever design...

longy
22-05-2014, 07:53 PM
On another note, the Taktia is a real clever design...

I had to gooooogle it to find out what the Taktia was. Looks interesting a micro cnc router conversion to correct operator error. That take the skill away from the operator thinking that could be cheaper than building a full blown cnc machine. What's your opinion guys ? I would love to hear what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UmL7xZZSUk

gavztheouch
22-05-2014, 08:27 PM
I had to gooooogle it to find out what the Taktia was. Looks interesting a micro cnc router conversion to correct operator error. That take the skill away from the operator thinking that could be cheaper than building a full blown cnc machine. What's your opinion guys ? I would love to hear what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UmL7xZZSUk

That is awsome work, but I can't help but think he has wasted his time other than making a fun project.

gavztheouch
22-05-2014, 08:37 PM
I don't think anyone could build a much better machine for the price of a Nomad and still make a living out of it. Then you have to look after 300 newbs having "issues" with their machine, argh nightmare. I wouldn't be surprised if these guys went burst after a year or so as a wave of compaints started rolling in.

Lee Roberts
22-05-2014, 08:56 PM
Checkout this one, it covers them both with more info and demo too:

http://youtu.be/BzMIh70syVc

george uk
22-05-2014, 11:53 PM
eerrrmmm dont see a lot of use for the handheld one, why bother, good technical demonstration of what can be achieved though., ,