PDA

View Full Version : Tongil Milling machine ?

dudz
03-02-2015, 03:55 PM
Anybody know anything about Tong-il Korean milling machines ?

This one weighs 1/2 ton.

Found one for sale.

dudz
06-02-2015, 07:43 AM
Its a Knee mill. Does anyone have exp with converting the Z and the quil on this type of machine to CNC ??

http://www.mycncuk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14622&stc=1

spluppit
06-02-2015, 10:28 PM
I personally don't have any experience with converting as i don't generally do this work being as i am in industry. What i can tell you/show you what industry does for this mod, be it a dedicated cnc knee type carcase or a retro fit of a manual machine. This mod only ever uses the quill as the z axis. I have never personally seen the knee being used as an axis. Effectively if you cnc the quill and knee you are making 4 axis machine where 2 axis do a similar job. The quill is the way to go.

If can remember and have the time i will take some images of one of my machines with the covers off to show the z quill arrangement. I know exactly how its set up and and can describe it to you but as always images speak a thousand words.

Kind regards,

Scott, ward engineering.

Neale
06-02-2015, 10:44 PM
There are quite a lot of references around to things like CNC knee conversions on Bridgeports. That doesn't answer the question of which is more popular (knee movement could give more travel, quill movement better for things like drilling as much faster?) but it's been done a fair bit.

dudz
06-02-2015, 10:57 PM
Scott, Great I'd like to see the Quill arrangement. This is obviously going to be the most complicated bit of the conversion.

spluppit
06-02-2015, 11:03 PM
Quill is more popular without any shadow of a doubt. Several reasons accuracy being the main one as a knee is 'hung' on the dove tails.

spluppit
06-02-2015, 11:17 PM
Its really not as complicated as you may think. To summarize: This is in very crude basic form. Bear in mind ive not had the cover off this thing in 3 years plus.

The quill handle and mechanism will have to be removed (rack and pinion set up)
Slot in the head casting to allow access to the quill.
Bracket attaches to the quill via the 'vertical' slot. This bracket also contains the ball nut. The ball screw is mounted externally of the head fixed top and bottom (obviously) a timing pulley it attached to the top of the ball screw, then the motor is mounted in close proximity to the head timing belt transfers the motion to the screw.

I will say this type of set up is using a servo with integral encoder so the controller has full feed back, how this works if using steppers with no feed back you will have to work out.

Kind regards,

Scott

spluppit
18-02-2015, 07:54 AM
Hi Dudz,

Sorry for the delay, being a small business owner i had to fit this is when i had time.

Here are the images as promised, one is slightly zoomed so you see the detail of how the ball nut is attached to the quill.

http://www.mycncuk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14681&stc=1
http://www.mycncuk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14682&stc=1

Kind regards

Scott