PDA

View Full Version : Which Miller?

AllanE
20-06-2009, 12:17 PM
New to the forum; looking for the 'best' cnc miller I can get for up to £5k...
What for? Initially parts in various plastics and aluminium and prototype PCBs.
Doesn't have to be fast, but solid (reliable) and reasonably accurate would be good.
I've looked at a Wabeco CC-F 1210 E and a Syil X5, but I need some practical guidance - their 160mm Y travel looks a bit limiting, so a little more would be nice 'just in case', but I'm also wary of how much space it'll take up!
I have no experience of how they're programmed, but I have years of experience of AutoCAD, so something that's 'similar' could be beneficial.
Any advice appreciated - preferably of a positive nature!

John S
20-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Y travel of most of the desktop machines is a stumbling block but it's the price you have to pay for having a desk top.

Space needed is usually the footprint of the machine plus 1/2 the X travel added onto the bed size. This is theoretical and in use you need a bit more for bits hanging off.
Many people stand a mill in a corner at 45 degrees to take advantage of the back part never having any movement and gaining the bed travel as it sticks out, also possible to still have benches / cupboards to either side and clear parts off when using the mill.

Support is more important on a CNC mill, ask question on how they deal with support and spares once bought. Is the machine you choose actually supported in the UK or are you tied to a US web site ?

Deep subject requiring a lot of background.