PDA

View Full Version : collet ID for denford router porter cable spindle

kell
18-12-2015, 02:33 PM
Hi
not sure if this is posted under correct section. I have a denford router with a porter and cable spindle fitted. I would like to get a selection of collets which will accept 1mm to 6mm bits. the original collets are a little limited so can anyone tell me if a different collet is usable. I have took a pic of the collet assembly as is.

ptjw7uk
18-12-2015, 03:34 PM
No idea what the actual collet is but the item on the far right is a collet reducer, not a good idea as the cutter can be pulled from the collet.
So it looks like they had trouble getting a 1/4 inch collet!

peter

kell
18-12-2015, 03:47 PM
No idea what the actual collet is but the item on the far right is a collet reducer, not a good idea as the cutter can be pulled from the collet.
So it looks like they had trouble getting a 1/4 inch collet!

peter

thanks peter
looks like I have two reducers as the other collet in machine has a reducer for the 1/4" as well.

komatias
18-12-2015, 04:28 PM
The larger collet looks pretty standard for hand routers. I think Kress spindles take the same ones?

johnsattuk
18-12-2015, 05:59 PM
I think they were used on Bosch routers, I have an unused 1/2" one that I was going to fit to my Triton router, not sure that they did any other sizes, I ended up using ER20 instead.

If it's of any use to you, you can have for postage cost.

uli12us
18-12-2015, 06:04 PM
http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.com/porter-cable/porter-cable-1-4-inch-self-releasing-collet

http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.com/porter-cable/porter-cable-1-2-inch-router-collet

JAZZCNC
18-12-2015, 06:05 PM
Mark you will find you only really need 2 or 3 sizes of collet because most small tooling comes with shank sizes larger than the cutter. Ie: 1mmDia will have 3mm shank.
You'll find 3 and 6mm collets will cover most of what you'll do with this machine form 1 to 6mm. 12.5mm collet or shank tooling you'll not use much with this machine. Maybe for surfacing but that's about it because it's not upto cutting with large cutters correctly.

uli12us
18-12-2015, 10:49 PM
Here are Collets similiar to ER fitting in P+C routers.
http://www.precisebits.com/products/equipment/porter-cable_0429_kits.asp?tsPT=!!!Porter-Cable_0429!!!Kit!!!PG!!!

kell
19-12-2015, 06:27 AM
Mark you will find you only really need 2 or 3 sizes of collet because most small tooling comes with shank sizes larger than the cutter. Ie: 1mmDia will have 3mm shank.
You'll find 3 and 6mm collets will cover most of what you'll do with this machine form 1 to 6mm. 12.5mm collet or shank tooling you'll not use much with this machine. Maybe for surfacing but that's about it because it's not upto cutting with large cutters correctly.
cheers dean. Ive bought some end mills that do not fit. I think they usually come with three collets and I only have two. But the link which uli12us has sent looks like just the ticket. they should cover everything.

uli12us
19-12-2015, 12:13 PM
They sell an 1/2" to ER16 adapter as well. But, because of the size 1/2" to 10-11mm it is rather long and expensive. You need with the ERlike collets only 1/8, 1/4 and eventually 1/2" Those collets clamp the metric shafts as well. But the other diametres have no meaningful equivalent in metric. With a 3/16 you can't clamp a 5mm shaft, but 4mm, that isn't a popular shaft diametre.

kell
19-12-2015, 01:52 PM
They sell an 1/2" to ER16 adapter as well. But, because of the size 1/2" to 10-11mm it is rather long and expensive. You need with the ERlike collets only 1/8, 1/4 and eventually 1/2" Those collets clamp the metric shafts as well. But the other diametres have no meaningful equivalent in metric. With a 3/16 you can't clamp a 5mm shaft, but 4mm, that isn't a popular shaft diametre.
I have ordered the full set because it would work out the same for just two sizes anyway.
kell